Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

2014/2015 Canadian Rockies Thread

Hi Western maggots,

Looking for info and beta for October turns possibility not far from Calgary? I understand that Norquay is schedule to open on October 31. I've skied only 1 day back in March 2002. I know there seems to be some snow on the ground. What are the odds of them actually opening for the 31th? And what would open?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm considering using some FF points in order to continue a ski streak...I'm so close to making to the 10th year. October has been in the East for 8 out of 9 years. I flew to Denver in 2007.

If I decide to fly, Calgary would seem to make more sense from Ottawa and with how bad it is elsewhere. There is an outside chance that something happens in the East, but looking at Plan B.

Oh yeah... I would try to fly in Thursday and take the late Saturday back to Ottawa. I need to be in Montreal on Sunday night for a Habs game with my daughter (her bday present - they will be playing the Flames)
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Why not go to CO and get a guaranteed open resort?
    Webisodes, Blogs, Words and Photos all right here-------->www.chasingsnowflakes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lamothe View Post
    Why not go to CO and get a guaranteed open resort?
    I've done Colorado WROD 7 years ago and heard that situation is pretty ugly now with only one run at A-Basin which is pretty mellow compared to the run open at Loveland at the time.

It looks like Norquay is more in Winter mode so I'm wondering if something more than a typical first day extremely limited terrain on WROD.
    Ski Mad World

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    The skiing is going to suck ... By western standards... That being said, if you will be skiing blue mountain.
    October is rarely close to 'normal' standards. Ha ... Blue Mtn, I have more access to interesting stuff in Ottawa than the poor folks in Southern Ontario.
    Ski Mad World

Quote Originally Posted by cmcrawfo View Post
    Norquay will be far from winter mode oct 31. It will be your standard opening day terrain options.
    I looked around on the net. Memories of the lifts setup were distant. So if I figure it correctly, the only lift running would be the Cascade chair servicing a green run on approx 100m vert?

That is even else of my Eastern opening days experiences. For some reason, I thought there would at least 200m of steeper than green runs like stuff found near the Mystic lift? I guess I didn't see that lift or it didn't exist on the only day I've been to Norquay back in 2002?
    Ski Mad World

I think Cascade has been around since like 1972.

Not sure if it still has the super beginner unloading station about 2/3 of the way up, if so you might not even get 100m.

You may as well hope COP in Calgary opens early.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldo View Post
    I think Cascade has been around since like 1972.

Not sure if it still has the super beginner unloading station about 2/3 of the way up, if so you might not even get 100m.

You may as well hope COP in Calgary opens early.
    I believe the number vert I found earlier for that chair was 103m.

We probably overlooked it...the memories of the place was skiing on the Mystic Chair (with the wife which was having morning sickness at the time) and North American double. We found out she was pregnant a few days after we booked this Jasper-Banff-Fortress skiing trip. Oh yeah, the other memory is that she didn't properly loading the film in the camera which I didn't notice until the end of the beautiful snowy day at Fortress. I have so pissed that I didn't speak all the way back to Calgary for our red-eye flight. I got over it and we are still married.
    Ski Mad World

It's been consistently above freezing and will continue to be throughout next week in Calgary. I can't imagine it will be worth a drive from the city, much less a trip from freakin' Ontario.

Not worth a Norquay trip. IF they open you can bank on it only being 1 green magic carpet run of 100metres. Well, it's not a magic carpet, it's a chair but at every other resort it would be a magic carpet. If you can wait a week or so you might get the WROD at Lake Louise or perhaps Nakiska. Your BEST bet is back country but you really really have to know where to go for that at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    Not worth a Norquay trip. IF they open you can bank on it only being 1 green magic carpet run of 100metres. Well, it's not a magic carpet, it's a chair but at every other resort it would be a magic carpet. If you can wait a week or so you might get the WROD at Lake Louise or perhaps Nakiska. Your BEST bet is back country but you really really have to know where to go for that at this time of year.
    Well if I wait one week, I wouldn't need to use points just to get some WROD.

The question now, do I gamble and hope someone blows in the East. They has been skiing in the East (liftserved and not) possible every year since 2005. The initial goal was to score 12-months in a row...now that goal is 10 years or 120-months. September was #108, so I'm not necessarily willing to let it go. Colorado options are extremely limited right now and would cost me more (even if I fly on points), Timberline is closed due to terrible snow conditions. Whistler seems to have tons of snow, but they are still close until the end of November. @&#*%?$( !!!
    Ski Mad World

You know...

I've had friends caught up in the whole ski streak thing, and when it finally did end -- and it always has to end -- it was a huge relief. They could again focus on enjoying all the great ski days to be had, not the marginal ones that were more work than worth, just to keep the streak alive.

I've had my own ski streaks that have come and gone, and I had fun with every one. But I never missed them when they were over.

Anyone hit the ski sale in Calgary this weekend?

I scored some 187 praxis protest for $250!!
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I was going to have a crack at the ski streak, but summer shit was too much fun to give a fark about hiking in bug infested shit holes to get shity turns ...

or drive a long ways ...

powder or wakeboarding thanks ...
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

^^^ that. Mountain bikes may get shit on for being expensive, but a 29er hardtail is a hell of a lot cheaper and more gratifying than flying around the world for some shit turns on some WROD.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...d.php?t=273266

Gipron has some bad news.

Sorry to hear about a local maggot not doing well

webcams look good this morning !!!
    We, the RATBAGGERS, formally axcept our duty is to trigger avalaches on all skiers ...

^^ Sick vid, looking forward to the whole thing.

Nice vid Singel.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I wanted to drop a quick thanks to a few people who have worked kindly with me to make getting out this season possible. Thanks to Matt Mosteller at RCR and the Locke family at Lake Louise. Your graciousness in working with me ànd my situation much appreciated. I look forward to the up coming season and making turns with all of you.
    Flying the Bluehouse colors in Western Canada! Let me know if you want some rad skis!!

"He is god of snow; the one called Ullr. Son of Sif, step son of Thor. He is so fierce a bowman and ski-runner that none may contend! He is quite beautiful to look upon and has all the characteristics of a warrior. It is wise to invoke the name of Ullr in duels!"

-The Gylfaginning

^you'll be out and still kicking majority ass.

Quote Originally Posted by time2clmb View Post
    ^you'll be out and still kicking majority ass.
    Yep, what he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty_J View Post
    Nice vid Singel.
    Good work. Solid Bow Valley Slayage in there.

No reports from today?

Hiked SSV to goats eye station where there was enough snow to skin. Maybe 8 cms of recent above a melt freeze crust. Found OK powder like turns down jackrabbit and skinned up to top of Standish. Enjoyed mellow cruising down skiers far left sticking to wind deposits and mostly avoiding rocks. Best snow was along strawberry where rocks were a non issue. Good exercise in beautiful weather but skiing was more of a novelty than high quality. Patrol was practicing gondola rescue which was fun to watch. Any warm weather will quickly ruin marginal conditions.
    Last edited by sillybunt2; 11-04-2014 at 11:46 AM.