I can't ski my Coombacks....Looking for problem solvers!

I've got a pair of 2012-2013 188cm Coombacks that I bought that had been mounted once with large dukes. I threw some dynafits on there and the shop guys had to mount them 1cm forward. I've had 180cm & 190cm explosivs, 189 cm Seth Pistols, 184cm mantras, 181cm Sidestash (shop guy talked me down a size which I think was a mistake) , 189cm maestros, 190 boomerangs blah blah blah in the past and never had problems all mounted on the line. I've never been worried about not being able to ski a ski before, but these things I just can't get a handle on. Would a +1 mount really be that big of deal? I lean on my boot tongues and drive the tips. Maybe it's my crappy ability or something but I'm surprised how out of control I feel. In deep pow the tips want to dive. When it's variable they seem to kick me in the back seat. I did take them to the resort one day and they seemed fine on groomers. I've got 28.5 Scarpa Maestrales with dynafit FT bindings. Used the same boot and bindings on lots of other skis but never a problem. Help me solve my problem...or offer to buy my skis. They are in mint shape.

I can't ski my Coombacks....Looking for problem solvers!

Man up Buttercup.

$150 shipped.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Maybe that's my problem. Too much man out front, throwing my balance off with the +1 mount.

I ski 188 Coomba tele.

$100 shipped.

You want $$ or skis you can't ski?

have you used the same boot and binding combo on other skis before? so the ONLY change is the ski (and a +1 mount)

usuaully 10mm will not make a "I cant ski" vs I can ski, but will effect it for sure.

Yeah, I have to say I have skied the Coombacks tele and w/ plum guides. I thought they skied great in a bunch of conditions, including powder.
    Last edited by dark_star; 09-02-2014 at 02:40 PM.

I'm a shitty skier who snowboards 75% of the time. I'm usually the high speed guy waving his arms all over the place and looking like he's gonna fall any second but never does. But I ski my Coombacks like I know what I'm doing or something. It's uncanny.

I'd say get a tune, edge bevel, new wax, and detune the contact points. That'll fix the problem a lot of the time.

Or sell them to Telemike.

I had a problem with some Sidestashes being difficult. Tune may have had something to do with it. Mount point definitely did too. Maybe go 2 back? Definitely hit the tails up with a gummy stone.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

I cannot imagine +1 would render unskiable Coomback soft noodles, which are stupid easy to ski and tip dive on Coombacks @ +1 doesn't sound right. Something is amiss. I've mounted several 5-screw toe Dynafits on skis previously drilled for Dukes and I do not recall any toe hole conflicts (or maybe my aging memory aint working). ETA: Doesn't a DynaDuke plate confirm that there are no toe hole conflicts? Might wanna check the accuracy of the factory center line. I once mounted a bud's pair of 181cm Coombacks with a mismarked center line.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    I've mounted several Dynafits on skis previously drilled for Dukes and I do not recall any toe hole conflicts.
    Radical toes overlap with Duke toes.

Yeah, I beat you to it by editing my post to refer to 5-hole toes. So, it's easy to get his bindings on the center line by using a 5-hole toe.

have you gotten them tuned up, or someone to check the tune?

Mike Lindsey is out of COP, or the tune shop in banff.

both have LOTS of experiance.

First time with Dynafits? Pondered excess ramp angle being an issue?

I was gonna post something about change in boot flex, no forward pressure, no ramp because it sounds like he changed from dukes, but I read it again and I don't think so.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mex View Post
    In deep pow the tips want to dive. When it's variable they seem to kick me in the back seat. I did take them to the resort one day and they seemed fine on groomers. I've got 28.5 Scarpa Maestrales with dynafit FT bindings. Used the same boot and bindings on lots of other skis but never a problem. Help me solve my problem...or offer to buy my skis. They are in mint shape.
    You said you have experience with your boot/binding combo (dynafit ramp angle surprise not a factor)

You said that the problem is in pow and in crappy snow, but that on groomers, they felt ok.
    Don't know if tune is all of the story then... as a crappy tune would show up more on groomers than variable/pow snow.

Sounds like mount line could be off...

Can you get a measurment of tip/tail to mounting line and compare it to another coomback???
    Aggressive in my own mind

Yeah, his symptoms do sound like a ramp angle issue, but he says he's used the same tech boot/binding combo on other skis. Nonetheless, maybe OP got accustomed to these skis mounted with Dukes, so why not shim the Dyna toe and see if that makes a difference?

Yeah, his symptoms do sound like a ramp angle issue, but he says he's used the same tech boot/binding combo on other skis. Nonetheless, maybe OP got accustomed to these skis mounted with Dukes, so why not shim the Dyna toe and see if that makes a difference?
    that's a good way to simulate a more rearward mount without remount!
    Aggressive in my own mind

Check to see that the bases are flat with a true bar.

Thanks fellas. Yeah maybe a tune wouldn't hurt. I was starting to think ramp angle. I've got newer dynafit toes with old ft dynafit heels. Was thinking maybe the ramp angle is slightly different on these with this hybrid binding. I had my dynafits on 184 mantras and never had any issues, so was really surprised with these coombacks. I figured they'd be ridiculously easy to ski as mentioned by a bunch of you. Maybe I just need to give them another go. Surprised to hear that the binding holes match. I guess that's my fault for getting them mounted at MEC. I should have known better.

... why not shim the Dyna toe and see if that makes a difference?
    I think this is a great idea.

I have no way to quantify or prove it, and I'm not sure I've even fully sold myself on the idea, but I feel like ramp angle and mount position are related.

A more forward mount favouring a more neutral delta, and a more rearward mount favouring a more aggressive delta.

Just a theory but it makes sense to me.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

No. Sell them to me for one dollar.