Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

What skis just like a 185 Cochise..

...but comes in a 180 and is a bit more maneuverable in tight trees without sacrificing much stability at speed?

I know the cochise piviot well and therefore are maneuverable, but the 185 has proven to be more than my 5'7 frame needs in ec woods. Fuck you. ;-)

What skis just like a 185 Cochise..

180 Bonafide? 177 Cochise?
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

buy my 183 MVPs ... super fun and maneuverable.

I went from the 185 Cochise to a 181 ON3P Jeffrey for the same reason. Twin tip makes things a bit different of course, but I don't miss the Cochise very often. (The new softer version of the Cochise has my interest however)

2015 Cochise is better in tight trees. Or 182 Ritual.

177 Cochise is more stable than you'd think. And new, increased camber and more progressive flex sounds like all win. I ski the first year 185 as daily driver in Tahoe and borrowed the 177 at a Gordy camp.
    New metal hybrid dps 105 looks cool too, know they used the Cochise as a benchmark.
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

more ski in "too stiff", "too long"

could try 185 scout, same everything but easygoing, softer

shorter radius, less stiff maybe the new solly qlab 183

but if you are not that heavy the 177 should work fine! I'm 5'5" / 147-150 and just got some 13/14 cochise 177, I'm sure I will never ask for more after several demo runs on the 177!

180 Countdown 4, or 179 Countdown 102 as they call it this year.

177 Cochise.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Magics dood.

No better EC tree ski IMO.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

The Volkl gotama is full reverse camber for tree quickness, similar dimensions/sidecut to the cochise but softer and more forgiving. I don't think there is a more similar ski on the market

I'm gonna bump this to ask it again in a slightly different way..

I'm still looking to fill the middle spot in an ideal 3 ski quiver. I ski east coast, have a pass for Attitash/Wildcat and travel to Jay when the rapidly growing family allows.

Spot 1: 183 ak bro / 179 9d8

Spot 2:

Spot 3: Spatula

This 3 spot setup suits me well here. For most days I am happy on the bro or 9d8, and there are a few days / mornings a year that I'm thrilled to be on the spats.

I own too many skis, so there are fill-ins here and there, but these are the spots I'm trying to perfect and I haven't found something I'm happy with for the middle.

185 cochise is close, and skis a lot like what I'm looking for... but it's still too long in the tight trees when things get variable/fast.

So the 177 cochise.. is that where I'm at? How about a 179 gunsmoke? Do Gotamas really have the variable/hard snow performance of the cochise? The dick swinger in me definitely thinks my soft snow ski should be longer than my hard snow ski. Maybe I should strap that sucker down and try to live in reality?

Anything else I should seriously consider? I plan to follow through with this and build a list of demos for this season to find what's right...

Whatcha got mags?
    Last edited by JayPowHound; 12-02-2014 at 04:49 PM.

177 nordica el capo? Runs long, so probably 180ish in most other brands.

Not necessarily Cochise like, but praxis concept could be worth a look. Sounds like they slarve tittays in ze trees and have no speed limit on ze piste.

Snow blades. Together, at 188, you have two 94cm planks of pleasure. You won't regret it.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

The problem before you is that the Cochise shouldn't pivot in trees so well for a ski that handles variable and crud as adeptly as it does. I also have the 185 and sold my 184 Katanas after a few days on the Cochise because they do PNW tress so much better.
    Good luck finding another ski with that magic mix. I say 177 Cochise or nothing.
    In constant pursuit of the perfect slarve...

Certainly no Cochise but a w112 178 is hard to beat in EC trees.

The Cochise is super easy in trees. Not the easiest ever, but for what it is (shape, weight, other characteristics), it can't get any easier. Where it's not as good - 1+ foot deep, and moguls.

A loud vote for praxis. My favorite tree ski ever is the 192 gpo. Go 182 or 187. Go carbon (not UL) for some extra snap without losing dampness.

The 183 mvp skis very short and is absurdly nimble in tight spaces. 187 is also a good option.

Both can bust crud, handle variable and lay hardback trenches.

But they both have tail rocker. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I don't feel like either ski forfeits much in the "stability" category. But I don't think they are quite the cochise...

But that seems sort of like the point of this thread in the first place.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

I love my 185 Wailer 105 HybridT2s.... If you can get your hands on a 178 I'm sure they'd perform for you....
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Just picked up a 179 Lhasa Pow to fit a similar spot in my East Coast Quiver...haven't skied them yet, but I have high hopes.

I had 185 Cochise that was basically only used at stowe for days that the front four were crud and not bumps...... and out west. It was not really any fun skiing woods but I also have 185 Patrons for powder days, and 177 Soul Riders for not powder days......

I got to ski a 185 and 193 El capo last year out west in direct comparison to my Cochise and the Capo was both more stable and easier to ski. the 185 Capo felt WAY shorter than the cochise carving groomering, getting though bump, or tighter tree lines, but was just as good as going straight though chunk.

I perosnally hate pivoting every tight turn and the Cochise just does not feel fun in eastern woods especially when are A. too much snow for it. B. to little. Its a high speed crud buster and that is something on the east coast we really do not have much of.

El Capo are cheap too, huh? Added to the top o the demo list! Will try to find a concept to get on too, keep em coming boys!

Quote Originally Posted by whatsupdoc View Post
    177 nordica el capo? Runs long, so probably 180ish in most other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    the 185 Capo felt WAY shorter than the cochise carving groomering, getting though bump, or tighter tree lines, but was just as good as going straight though chunk.
    These comments seem to disagree with each other.

Anyone been on both the 177 and 185 el capo? Does the 177 really feel longer and the 185 shorter? Seems like that makes them the same ski...???

Quote Originally Posted by JayPowHound View Post
    These comments seem to disagree with each other.

Anyone been on both the 177 and 185 el capo? Does the 177 really feel longer and the 185 shorter? Seems like that makes them the same ski...???
    the thing is from pure measurement the 185 capo is longer by a good bit than say a 185 Cochise, but its some how ski shorter and feel more nimble than the 185 Cochise. If that makes sense. It also has better float in powder....... I have not skied the 177 I have skied the 185 and 193 and owned 185 Cochise and have skied some 193 as well. For me at 5'10 190lb the Capo are every bit as stable as the cochise, can still pivot, but respond way better to being on edge and end up feeling easier to ski on. Once I get my 185 mounted up if you still have no decided you can try them......