Teach Me about Webcams

We are getting ready to demolish and rebuild a house. I have a place where I can put a camera that will have a good view of it and has an internet connection. I can mount the cam inside and look through a window or just put it outside.

I want to be able to see what is going on plus I want to save at least one still a day (more would be better but more than once an hour would be overkill) so I can do a time-lapse slide show dealio when it's done.

Never used a webcam. Recommended brands for use with Mac? Ideas on how to set it up to capture the stills? Can I just dial it up anytime to see what's going on? What else do I need to know?

Drop the knowledge on me.

Teach Me about Webcams

My neighbor uses Foscam to keep track of his business security. He has several cameras set up that he can control off his Mac. No personal experience but everything I've seen him do with it is pretty slick and functional.

For taking stills I bet just doing a screen capture would work.

http://foscam.us/products/foscam-fi8...camera-23.html

I just bought this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16881103058

Not using it for the streaming though, just taking stills and ftp'ing them. Picture quality isn't the greatest, but supposedly can stream live to most devices. Setup was pretty easy.
    To the Thingmajigger!

Webcams are typically either built in a laptop/tablet or a small lower res USB camera that can be mounted to a monitor or set on a desk and are used for chat, skype, facetime etc. They many times are under $50 or so dollars since they rely on a computer connection and some software or app to work. However there are a few apps or ways to do more with them. There also are security cameras that can be either wired to a network or DVR device or wireless. Many will connect to the internet if you have wifi high speed of some sort. Many of the surveilence models also have motion detection and will only record when there is some sort of activity. You can do frame capture to save a still photo out of the stream or just view the recorded video and as stated do a screen capture. Some of the surveilance cameras will have lens options, different settings for day/night or lower light recording and can be set for frames per second (higher for things like counting money, parking areas, etc. Lower frames per second for things like door entrances. They are also available with indoor outdoor or some have enclosures for weather protection, and outdoor models.

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Webcams are typically either built in a laptop/tablet or a small lower res USB camera that can be mounted to a monitor or set on a desk and are used for chat, skype, facetime etc. They many times are under $50 or so dollars since they rely on a computer connection and some software or app to work.
    I tried several desktop webcams and you can't really just point them out the window, the focus is too close and they usually wash out with any sunlight. Better to get a "security" camera for recording outside.
    To the Thingmajigger!

Which house?

Mass. We were always planning on doing a major remodel but it got to the point that it became easier to just start over. It kinda kills me but it'll be a much better project this way. Mold was the dealbreaker, we knew there was some mold but a burst pipe last winter made it way worse.

thanks for the cam info, I'm gonna grab one of those foscams in a minute here.
    Last edited by iceman; 09-01-2014 at 08:43 PM.

Chaturbate

I'm thinking of Lorax I know a few people that use and like them.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

thread does not deliver
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    thread does not deliver
    Worthless without pics?