Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stowe vs MRG vs Jay peak for strong intermediate/advanced family

I am planning a ski trip to northern Vermont this year and heard great things about mad river glen, Stowe, and jay peak. My family are all strong intermediates and above with a few of us being more advanced to expert. I really enjoy the trees especially on the east coast. So that would be a priority, we are also not looking to spend what you would spend in vail or aspen. We are thinking of going from jan 28-feb 3. And was thinking we may stay in Burlington and pick between the three. We are open to other ski resort suggestions. Also which resort would be best on a powder day? Or when conditions are bad.
    Thanks
    Linus

Mad river has no snowmaking. I think the dates are good as things don't seems to kick in on the least coast til end Jan (early Jan thaw usually). For a family that might want things to do apres I'd say Stowe is best bet. Might be close to Vail rates though.

Maybe think out west instead? Not as pricey as you'd think.

Jay is about as good as it gets for ec trees when conditions cooperate but I would argue it is not a great intermediate mountain. Not many mild groomers and if it is a busy weekend they tend to catch a lot of skier traffic (mainly due to being so few). It is also not a place I would lock into if dates are set. Can be feast or famine and brutally cold. If you are staying in Burlington may be better off skiing resorts closer to your home base and only trek over to Jay if ma nature is fully cooperating.
    Uno mas

Stowe vs MRG vs Jay peak for strong intermediate/advanced family

I actually think Jay is a great mountain for strong intermediates.
    But it is a haul from Burlington and can be very cold in January. That said, they have built a ton of condos in recent years and in weeks with excess capacity (many) one can get a significant discount and stay on or close to The slopes with lift tickets included at a huge discount.
    I'd at least explore those packages before making a final decision.
    (Last spring I did two nights in a condo with three days of skiing for about $400 for me and my daugther )
    Last edited by robgoose; 09-01-2014 at 09:41 AM.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

Don't be intimidated by the MRG credo, "Ski It If You Can". There is plenty of intermediate terrain and it's a great family mountain. (Full disclosure, I am a shareholder, so obviously biased, but many don't realize how much more it offers.) You can stay in the Mad River Valley and ski Sugarbush, Stowe and MRG. Your best budget area is MRG, but if the snow is light, you always have Sugarbush.

And I heard Jay cut down all their trees this summer...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Do you really want to drive each day? What if we get a monster nor'easter and your stuck going nowhere? That said, I would skip MRG unless it gets dumped on but if you catch it right! Stowemountainresort -great resort but expensive like Vail/Spen. My vote is Jay Peak - great family place, better ski/lodging deals and if it all sucks you have the water park. Enjoy.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Smuggs and Bolton if you wanna be economical (Great midweek crowds, too). Throw in a day at $towe and the Bush. Jay is a funny place that can leave you frozen and bewildered. Vermont has been powder-crazed for a few years and until that corrects itself, Jay will continue to get hit exceptionally hard on big dumps. Unless you're somewhat familiar with Jay's glades, you'll be getting a lot of sloppy seconds--and that might be ok with you but be there for first chair when the gun goes off! Or just get some skins and head to Rochester.

Stowe, if you are up for paying the premium prices. Great all-around mountain
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

If conditions are good any one of the three will be excellent. Sugarbush & Smuggs too. If conditions are sketchy Stowe has the best snowmaking system out of all the areas mentioned. If you decide to ski Stowe you will save quite a bit by ordering your tickets online ahead of time (like $15 a ticket). I'm not sure if you to have their RFID card already to purchase ahead or if you can buy one at the same time you order. I love skiing northern/central VT. Anywhere from Killington on north is good in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Don't be intimidated by the MRG credo, "Ski It If You Can". There is plenty of intermediate terrain and it's a great family mountain. (Full disclosure, I am a shareholder, so obviously biased, but many don't realize how much more it offers.) You can stay in the Mad River Valley and ski Sugarbush, Stowe and MRG. Your best budget area is MRG, but if the snow is light, you always have Sugarbush.

And I heard Jay cut down all their trees this summer...
    I thought it was a double meaning because MRG doesn't make snow. At least, that's what I've always been told.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Mud Rocks & Grass...

Got it. Great.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

MRG/Sugarbush. Awesome combo. Stay close to that. Sugarbush has a ton of condos.

When the conditions suck everywhere Okemo is the best. plus they have starbucks and by December a heated chair - ask at the patrol hut for free hot chocolate cards (tell them "Zilla" sent you) and you can save a ton of money. Jay is weather proof - if conditions are the suck you can always ice skate or play in the water park.

Mad river valley has great options…..
    Rob "Stayalert" M
    Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Mad river has no snowmaking.
    They have 2 guns which they use for lower elevations.

I liked Sugarbush north when I was there, we had a pretty nice storm cycle and it was tits.

I was unimpressed with MRG, heard a lot about it. We skied there just b4 the storm hit so conditions could have been better. I thought we have better tree skiing in WV but to be fair we were feeling our our way around.

Stayed in a sweet B&B just down the road. Very convenient.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    I liked Sugarbush north when I was there, we had a pretty nice storm cycle and it was tits.

I was unimpressed with MRG, heard a lot about it. We skied there just b4 the storm hit so conditions could have been better. I thought we have better tree skiing in WV but to be fair we were feeling our our way around.

Stayed in a sweet B&B just down the road. Very convenient.
    Skied both WV and MRG. My vote is MRG by far. You sorta need to know the mountain before you hit the best it has to offer.

sugarbush

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Do you really want to drive each day? What if we get a monster nor'easter and your stuck going nowhere? That said, I would skip MRG unless it gets dumped on but if you catch it right! Stowemountainresort -great resort but expensive like Vail/Spen. My vote is Jay Peak - great family place, better ski/lodging deals and if it all sucks you have the water park. Enjoy.
    I second this. I skied a long weekend at Jay through a school ski trip in the worst weather ever, but still had fun because of all the other stuff there (water park, etc)

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

If you go to Stowe you can hire bushwackerinPA, he's the best instructor on the EC and you'll be doing perfect falling leafs on Goat by the end of the trip.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Burlington is a cool place to stay, easy striking distance of most northern vermont resorts, cheaper too. Also keep in mind smugglers notch, bolton and sugarbush. End of January is extremely cold. I'd recommend early march if possible.

My pick for a family would be the condos slopeside a Jay. Place has no vail attitude, but it does have the goods. Also has good poutine and gravy and an awesome restaurant pub " Belfry "

Mad River Barn, Scotty?

That place just did a million dollar makeover and is even awesomer now.

Quote Originally Posted by stayalert View Post
    When the conditions suck everywhere Okemo is the best. plus they have starbucks and by December a heated chair - ask at the patrol hut for free hot chocolate cards (tell them "Zilla" sent you) and you can save a ton of money. Jay is weather proof - if conditions are the suck you can always ice skate or play in the water park.

Mad river valley has great options…..
    "Zilla"?.... Mmmmm, it has nice ring to it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    Mad River Barn, Scotty?

That place just did a million dollar makeover and is even awesomer now.

"Zilla"?.... Mmmmm, it has nice ring to it.
    I've skied Northern Vermont for many years. If there's snow, don't miss Mad River. Ski it on a weekday or stand in line. It's number one in the East according to many. New England at it's best. But, no snowboarding.

We've done a ski trip with the extended family every year and the mountain/town that seems to please the most (if you can stomach the prices) is Stowe. Great trees and great snow making, which can make a difference on the groomers even in late January. Jay Peak has great trees, but each time I've been there the actual trails have been a windswept icy mess. Probably just my crap timing so YMMV.