No dislocation is a good dislocation

So... anyone have multiple shoulder dislocations in a year, the second one popped right back in (which was nice cause I was biking in the alpine 2 miles from the trailhead)... Doesn't hurt to bad at all now (2 hours later)...

Advice?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Might wanna look into doing some pt at a minimum. Depending on a lot of things, you MAY or MAY NOT need to see an ortho/get an mri/get surgery.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

No harm in seeing an ortho now, if you've got insurance. Once a shoulder starts doing that it's going to keep doing it, and over time you risk damage to the shoulder. Generally the younger you are when you dislocate the more likely recurring dislocation. The older you are the greater the risk of loss of range of motion. Doesn't mean you need surgery now but it wouldn't hurt to have an opinion on how loose the shoulder is, what surgery would be like recuperation wise, the risk of waiting too long if any, etc, so you know what you're looking at the next time or next ten times it happens. I think it's a good idea to see a doc before seeing a PT. A good PT will want an accurate anatomic diagnosis. Not all problems with x joint are caused by the same thing.

Oh, when I told the guy who would do surgery shortly after on my left should that the initial dislocation sucked itself back in, his response was "uh oh".
    Then when I sorta popped it again slipping on the ice while really drunk, the mri showed that I almost tore it again, but not quite, since he had made everything nice and tight in there a year earlier. Apparently, some people have loose joints and some people have tight joints. I'm one of this people with loose joints, which is ironic because I have some arthritis and I'm really stiff all the time.
    Still some instability and tightness and probably scar tissue that I need to be wary of. Fucking shoulder injuries suck. I haven't hurt it again mtn biking, but gotta be really careful skiing.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

no insurance that is useful to me... In fact my good insurance ended about two hours after I hurt myself (duh)

(Ugh)

one day later, hurt like hell, still have full range of motion, nowhere near as bad as the first time...

I also don't really have a job (just interviews), but make to much (with various money making schemes) to qualify for medicare. So yeah... ahhh medical debt.

I have ~9 dislocations in my right shoulder. They usually pop right back in almost instantaneously but the last one while climbing (a little over a month ago) was out for 30 seconds and not fun. It's all about not putting my shoulder in a 'problem' position. For me that's arm extended and back, so it pops out forward. Obviously not much you can do if you're falling cause you can't really control your reaction. The other thing I've done is wear a neoprene brace, which helps a lot since it restricts motion to where I can feel it wanting to go, gives me a little more peace of mind and it was cheap to boot.

Multiple dislocations and two surgeries on my R shoulder. See a doc. I can get you some recs in Anchorage.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Yeah, just hoping I get a job with insurance in the next couple days/weeks, if you could PM me some recs mike I'd be grateful, the last guy was pretty meh do have a good PT person just really expensive (~40% of my annual income this year will have gone to shoulder fixing)

east or bust, have been looking into braces, would like one for skiing/hockey seems like they might be slightly helpful. what'd you get?

Dislocated mine after first surgery patrollering at Eaglecrest. Always fun to call in your own wreck when your wife is dispatching and have your buddies come get you...

The shoulder brace seemed too much hassle for too little benefit to me. Docs I knew said I'd hate it. Too hot too bulky and not that much protection.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I've done my right shoulder numerous times. Go to the physio, do all the exercises they give you, and then get in the gym and pump the weights.

It'll never be the same but the stronger you can get it the less it will happen, and the injury is not as severe each time.

did a few of my PT exercises today, felt like I lost very little strength, also very little range of motion, thats that's encourages, seems like I pulled some muscles. Probably should still see a professional...

Telemike... I know the feeling, when I patrolled at Arctic valley we had 13 incidents, one was me, one was one of my buddies... One was our lift mechanic...

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    east or bust, have been looking into braces, would like one for skiing/hockey seems like they might be slightly helpful. what'd you get?
    I have a McDavid universal shoulder brace. I don't think it is very bulky, I do sweat more with it on but don't really notice it being that much hotter. I've worn it playing hockey too and forget I'm even wearing it.

It gets easier to pop it out and back in each time. You can learn to do it for yourself. If you are young and it heals you are lucky, if not. Go see the Dr.
    watch out for snakes