Gregory Targhe 45 vs Arcteryx Khamski 48 vs ??

Looking for a dedicated ski touring pack that's big enough for hut trips and lightweight camping. My current daypack is the osprey kode 32. I used to have the 38 but it was too small for overnights and pretty big for day tours. I really like having the separate pocket for snowtools.
    In the specs The Targhee 45 in large (my pack size) is listed at 48L while the Khamski is listed at 53L and "64L max". It really doesn't look like you'd be able to cram 64L in there though. I'm leaning towards the Khamski because of the bigger volume, though being arcteryx it is pricey, and no hip pockets which sucks, I use those all the time.
    Does anybody have any experience with either of these packs? are there any other big ski packs I'm missing?

Can't speak to the Gregory or Arcteryx, but I like my BD Anarchist. In a large it's 45L, has a separate snowtool pocket that's very accessible, and you can get an avalung built in, which I really like having. Mine has seen a lot of use and is holding up beautifully.

The best ski pack I've found is made by Alpine Threadworks. The Selkirk pack in a 45L should be pretty perfect, provided you pack properly. No hip pockets, but it has separate avy gear pockets. It's also custom made to your back length so the fit is amazing. I'm sure you could ask him to add hip pockets and see what he says. His customer service is excellent, but I've never asked for anything custom like that.

jesski and I have the Selkirk Light (no avy pockets) in a 45L, and The Great kevino has the Selkirk in a 35L. I've done overnights with mine where I carried the tent (BD Firstlight) and stove but no avy gear, and it was fine. I've also done an overnight with The Great kevino where he took the 35L w. avy gear (he didn't carry the tent), but his packing is super dialed.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Huh, I bought a pair of ski pants from that guy once. I remember skimming over that website but totally forgot about it, thanks. Still pricey, but atleast it's made nearby, I think we might have a winner!

I have the Targhee 45. It is well made.
    I used it on a hut to hut, and it worked well. The features specific to ski touring work well.
    A couple of exceptions:
    Axe carry relies on little metal tabs. These tabs don't work on my light Camp axe, though they are slick on technical tools, and probably ther mountaineering tools.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1428-CORSA-10.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	19.0 KB 
ID:	157889

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	71cKsUyIQvL._SL1150_.jpg 
Views:	1521 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	157888

And- no helmet carry on the 45, despite the marketing copy. I called the company about this. Actually handled by the guys at Black Diamond. Turns out the smaller packs have it, but not the 45. If this is a deal breaker, call and check to see if it has changed.

As far as the ax carry- I just put a p-cord loop, and use it like a more traditional ax carry. Easy fix, non issue.

I think the pack is a bit heavy but, because it carries so well, the weight is well worth it. To me, the difference of a pound weight in a pack this size is pretty irrelevant- 2 long pulls of a water bottle weigh a pound. This pack carries really well while skiing. The weight is where it should be, and it rides securely. Gear organization is well laid out, and easily accessible in real world conditions.

I like mine.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking at those ice axe attachments, not sure if they'd work with my axe, but I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to rig something up.
    I really like the backpanel access on the targhee, I've gotten really used to having it on the kode. The Khamski has a side zip which isn't as functional, but definitely helps. The fact that the alpine threadworks pack is top load only is probably my only sticking point, I'm not the most organized person and my experiences with top loaders usually end with the contents of my pack all over the ground trying to find that one little thing hiding at the bottom.

I'm currently running a Kode as well and I've had the same concern regarding the threadwork packs. I'm considering asking Neil what his thoughts are regarding backpanel access, why he doesn't use it (I'm sure there are pros and cons) and if he'd consider installing it custom in a pack. Seems to me that, no matter how organized you are, you will eventually need what is midway down/at the bottom of your pack and access through a back panel just makes life that much easier.

Anyone have any thoughts as to why backpanel access isn't provided? The only thing I can think of, with my limited knowledge, is that the support system might be negatively effected? But... I'm no expert.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Hey, thanks for the PM! having the option for a side zip definitely makes the alpine threadworks pack more attractive. The only thing still making me consider the arcteryx pack is the extra volume, looks like you can overstuff that thing which would be great for overnights w/ some mountaineering gear. Ice axe attachment on the arcteryx also looks pretty sweet.