TR: Slim pickings in SA

We arrived in Bariloche and decided it would be best to leave immediately and try to avoid the heat wave on Chilean volcanoes.

We drove to Volcan Osorno ski area and skinned up the remnants of the piste. Coverage improved beyond the top of the resort. We switched to crampons and the climb dragged on, as it tends to on volcanoes. The top 200 or so vertical meters were covered in unpleasant rime ice, which at least made things interesting. We left our skis at a short vertical section that involved some awkward climbing moves but went back to get them after finding the lee side of the summit free of rime ice. After a few fun, steep turns from the top we traversed back around towards the lifts and skied back down the way we came on corn and snow of varying crustyness.

Short break in the snow. Freak stoked.

Freak posing in heroic manner.

Looking forward to skiing this!

Really looking forward to skiing this!

Looking over to Puntiagudo volcano from the summit.

Sluff management was required.

Pretty spot.

Sunset over Lago Llanquihue

On the way back to Argentina we stopped at Antillanca ski resort, where we skinned around for a bit, sat in the sun, ate alfajores and watched members of the military train for I am not sure what but I am certain it is important.

Antillanca is good for views of other volcanoes.

Osorno

Puntiagudo

After avoiding the really warm days we got back to Bariloche for some only quite warm ones and entertained ourselves in the usual ways. The snowline in the ski area is about half way up the mountain.

Best day ever:

Freak stoked.

Condors also stoked.

With a few sunny days in the forecast we gathered enough motivation to pack for a few days of hut skiing. I have seen this area with a lot more snow so it has been a little hard to get stoked about hiking in dirt but once you get into the alpine things are actually pretty okay and I believe it is almost impossible to have a bad time at Frey.

Between us, an Andescross "Ski with the Pros" educational freeride camp and several other small groups Frey was packed. Most people went to bed after dinner and we hung out with Jorge, his Pro Bros and two Scottish gentlemen who had hiked up with snowshoes. They are taking a holiday in South America to celebrate turning fifty and unsuccessfully attempted to explain the difference between Scotch and Whiskey to the non-initiates. I also learned that, given the option, it is always preferable to attend a funeral in Glasgow than a wedding in Edinburgh.

The next day we headed over to the neighboring hut to get away form the crowds and proceeded to get stuck in the shrubs around a charming alpine stream for a while.

Freak pensive.

Freak skinning.

We found some excellent corn and had the hut to ourselves.

Hut on the far side of the lake, freak's pic.

Hut motto.

We began the next day with about 50 meters of skinning before switching to crampons for the first of many times. We climbed back up to Brecha Negra, skied a few turns, continued cramponing up to Inviares, skied down the other side, cramponed up the next ridge, skied down the other side, cramponed up the next ridge and skied down the other side to Frey. Good corn on the right aspects, otherwise hard crust with about 1.5 cm of mad pow.

Freak after climb Nr. 1.

Me into the lense flare.

Snow could have been better but could also have been worse.

The mountains speak to me.

Lama?

We headed back up and over the next day, took a chairlift down to avoid the mud and made a bunch of empanadas. I have lost count of the wonderful people I have met at Frey over the years, may there be many more.

Arriving back at Nubes, our route mostly visible in the bg.

This is why people come here:

more wordy version of this in link in signature.
    Last edited by klar; 08-31-2014 at 12:23 PM.
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

Lemons-->Lemonade TR.

Beautiful photos as usual. Thanks for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I laughed. By the way, what did you do with the snow?

#radagascar !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Shameless spam: Trip reports and Gear reviews and if you want to support what I do follow me on Instagram @KyleMiller411

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Beautiful!
    Way to make the most of it.

Cool pics! Looks like you did the best with what you had.

Thanks for posting that ...

I've started planning for a hut trip there next September, but ... Where's the friggin snow?! The trip is the adventure, but it sure would be sweeter with thigh deep blower!
    Who cares how the crow flies

Well...at least you got some good pics out of the deal. That sunset shot was stellar...

Nice photos, thanks for the TR.

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    Loved that. Thanks.

yeah maybe this came across as overly negative, it's not like we're having a bad time, just could use some more snow...
    Ich bitte dich nur, weck mich nicht.

I thought it came across with the usual elan: well done.

Here's Slim Pickens:
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

excellent, looks like an awesome, if brown, time!
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Lemons-->Lemonade TR.

Beautiful photos as usual. Thanks for sharing.
    This.

I admire the stoke maintenance in the face of those conditions.

Nice TR, I love to travel through foreign lands, if only vicariously.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

klar is the best! thanks for being awesome. so nice to see real content. have not checked in here in a while. continue being awesome!

Looks like an awesome trip to me! Nice photos!

Thanks for the pictures! It was four years ago that we met at Frey and I have not been able to return YET! However we have gone from summer to winter in a snap of fingers so hoping to get on skis tomorrow here in Canada. Looking at your pictures always brings back such great memories and it looks like that has been the best year out of the last four. Always stoked on your travels and pictures.

Nice TR.

Similar experience down there this year. Good times despite the snow conditions.

I believe it is almost impossible to have a bad time at Frey.
    Truth

Missed this. Very cool. Thanks for the stoke!

Thank you, Klar. Viva Limons!
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.