Creaky CSUs - how have they not figured this out?

My 2013 Fox 36 creaks like a mofo. In its first year, I had it warrantied twice for creaking. Now beyond warranty, it creaks again.

The RS Sektor on my hardtail creaks. My old Fox 32 creaked. I was riding with someone and their 34 creaked as well.

My question is, why is this do difficult for manufacturers to figure out? Long travel SC forks have been out for years. You'd think they'd get this by now.

Are there any models that don't creak?

My 2010 lyric was good, my 2012 36 was awesome, and by far the plushest fork I've ever owned, my 2013 36 had to be warrantied because of a creaky steerer tube, and so far my 2014 pike RCT3 is creak free and the best fork of the bunch overall.

How do you know it's not just your headset?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

He probably knows as it's been warrantied twice for being a problem.

Ok. Not trying to be a roj, I'm just wondering. I get a creak or some kind of sound sometimes, but I'm pretty sure it's just the headset.
    No longer stuck.

Ya see, when things were all normal 1 1/8" and not this funky tapered stuff all was well. Now ...

No probs w my xfusion vengeance hlr. It's been great. Road it in the park all weekend. Marzocchi's new stuff has been great. Pike seems to be the odds on favorite(very nice ride on that damper). Heard good things about suntour. Xfusion and suntour winning the price war. Haven't heard creaking issues from any of those. I'd look at the xfusion metric(depending what your putting it on) or pike

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    No probs w my xfusion vengeance hlr. It's been great. Road it in the park all weekend. Marzocchi's new stuff has been great. Pike seems to be the odds on favorite(very nice ride on that damper). Heard good things about suntour. Xfusion and suntour winning the price war. Haven't heard creaking issues from any of those. I'd look at the xfusion metric(depending what your putting it on) or pike
    It's a crapshoot. I've had a Lyric, Fox Float, and 2 Vengeance RCs that creaked. My Revelation and my current Vengeance RC are silent. The Lyric and Float were both 1 1/8.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Ya see, when things were all normal 1 1/8" and not this funky tapered stuff all was well. Now ...
    I've actually got a straight steerer in a tapered frame. I think the reducer is one of the reasons for the creaks and cricks. Mostly just when I'm driveway testing stuff.
    No longer stuck.

Turn up the volume on your Ipod. Problem solved.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Ok. Not trying to be a roj, I'm just wondering. I get a creak or some kind of sound sometimes, but I'm pretty sure it's just the headset.
    Preliminary test is to stick the wheel between your knees and twist the bars. Hold one hand on the crown-stanchion interface while twisting with the other to see if you can feel where the creak is coming from. However this test doesn't rule out the creak coming from the cockpit or axle (but it probably rules out headset).

Next is to flip the bike upside down and pull off the wheel and axle. Grab both legs and pull one forward while pushing the other one back. If you can make it creak during this test, it is most likely the CSU.

But in my experience the wheel-between-the-knees test is usually indicative.