Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Collage/university/state football games to see this fall?

OK Jong away.

I'm canadian, and dont care about any football (CFL, NFL, or state/collage/university) but I would like to watch and see a game just because so many other people seem to get into it so much.

I'm traveling this fall along the interstate I-15, from mid October to early Nov, on a mountain bike trip, and might get as far south as Arizona. Where should I stop and see a game with the biggest party and pre-game events?

Going thru MT, ID, UT, a bit into CO, and NV.

I don't know that any of those locations are all that great for college football tradition. UC hasn't been relevant in a while, don't know what the fan atmosphere is like though. Utah has fallen off as well. BYU might be cool, if you aren't down with drinking before or during the game. Arizona or Arizona State could be cool, seem like big party schools. Also, South Dakota State I believe is a big 1AA (lower division, still good football) powerhouse with a good fan following. I believe ESPN did a Gameday Broadcast there last season, which is pretty much unheard of for a lower division school. Probably a very cool place to see a game. I'd think Wyoming or Boise State would also be fun places to check out.

If you don't care about football itself, then it's all about the tailgating and atmosphere.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Def check out a Weber State game in Ogden. It's the epitome of NCAA football!!!

jk, but at least you can hit some sweet trails before and/or after the game.

I guess in all seriousness, your best 'collage football experience' will be probably at Arizona State or at CU Boulder. Arizona State is a ranked team right now and will be the best team in all of UT/AZ/CO/ID

Third choice would be a U of U game in SLC. FUCK BYU. That would be the shittiest football experience you can get.

A Montana game in Missoula:

Awesome tailgating and you can walk downtown after to one of the several bars. Plus there is a cannon.

The Ohio State University vs. That Team from Up North

won't disappoint

Quote Originally Posted by 406 View Post
    A Montana game in Missoula:

Awesome tailgating and you can walk downtown after to one of the several bars. Plus there is a cannon.
    ^^^ THIS.

Missoula, Montana is awesome for collage football. The Grizzlies are in a total hack league with a bunch of no-name schools, thus guaranteeing that the Grizzlies will be national champions. The whole town turns out to watch their "National Champions" play, and they are rewarded with lopsided scores of 95 to 3. Huge amounts of alcohol are consumed pre-game, during the game, and after the game. It really is quite a spectacle to watch Montana football and especially people-watch the batshit insane fans. It makes it even better knowing that the "National Champion" University of Montana Grizzlies would probably lose to a good high school team. The insanity of Griz Nation is all-time.

Edit: the cannon is awesome. ROTC storm troopers manning a civil war era artillery piece, nearly blowing themselves up every time the Griz score.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

The only place off of I 15 you'll see a college game in one of the major conferences is U of Utah in Salt Lake. They're not a favorite to have a good season this year, but they play in the PAC-12, so they might have a home game against Oregon, Stanford, UCLA or Southern Cal while you're coming through town. That would be the most athletic talent you'd see on the field. It's a good-sized stadium and the diehards will definitely be fired up for a conference game against a nationally-ranked opponent. They may get less fired up if U of U gets blown out - but I think they upset Stanford at home last year, so you've got a shot at seeing an exciting game.

As for atmosphere ... both Montana State and U Montana are nice. There are no other spectator sports to speak of in the region, so people get into the college football game. But it's definitely podunk cow town level talent compared to the PAC-12. Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, and Weber State play in the same conference as Montana and Montana State. I guess Northern Arizona and Weber State are also off of I 15, but you'd probably be better off seeing a big-time game by the time you've driven that far south.

I second Sirshredsalot's opinion. If you catch one of those games, it'll be a good time. There are home games in your time frame against USC and Oregon, I'd shoot for one of those.

If you want a "real" college (sorry, collage) football experience, DO NOT go to BYU. That place is a joke.
    Looking California, feeling Minnesota.

Do the tailgate, skip the game or watch it on TV if you have to see it.

The older I get the less I want to be in a crowd who is temporary/permanently insane.

I do like that view at the Mt stadium.
    watch out for snakes

I'm just in it for the "atmosphere" and to see the circus, Dont care about the athletes at all.

So sounding like U montana Grizzlies, in Missoula or Montana State Bobcats, Bozeman are good bets then.

Or if we get as far south as AZ, check that out too.

any other things to suggest? or avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    I'm just in it for the "atmosphere" and to see the circus, Dont care about the athletes at all.

Neither does the NCAA.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Yeah Missoula would be a good place to see a game. Bringing bikes? My friends and I ride until there is too much snow.

ya, wife and I will have bikes with us. This is not a huge priority to see, but if we can time it to see a game it sure would be fun.

Will let you know Jamal.

Arizona State or Arizona would be good. Boise State regularly has a good team, also. Not sure about the atmosphere (never been there), but they are famous for the blue turf they play on.

Gotta agree on U of Montana. Pac 12 action, im in on U of Utah vs U of Oregon in SLC Nov 8

I guess I should have read the first post a little more thoroughly.

Games that would be worth seeing in order of time/distance south:
    10/18 Montana vs UC davis
    10/25 Utah vs USC
    11/8 Utah vs Oregon
    11/8 ASU vs Notre Dame
    Last edited by jamal; 08-31-2014 at 04:43 PM.

You can ride here till ski season, more or less.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^^ THIS.

Missoula, Montana is awesome for collage football. The Grizzlies are in a total hack league with a bunch of no-name schools, thus guaranteeing that the Grizzlies will be national champions. The whole town turns out to watch their "National Champions" play, and they are rewarded with lopsided scores of 95 to 3. Huge amounts of alcohol are consumed pre-game, during the game, and after the game. It really is quite a spectacle to watch Montana football and especially people-watch the batshit insane fans. It makes it even better knowing that the "National Champion" University of Montana Grizzlies would probably lose to a good high school team. The insanity of Griz Nation is all-time.

Edit: the cannon is awesome. ROTC storm troopers manning a civil war era artillery piece, nearly blowing themselves up every time the Griz score.
    No name schools? What about EWU? The Griz can't touch us on "The Inferno" bwahahaha!!! And to be fair, Big Sky Conference teams challenge and/or beat Pac 12 teams on a yearly basis (EWU vs OSU 2013 or EWU vs UW 2012). I get the sarcasm in your post, but give Big Sky football some credit. Montana is a good team with a great stadium and super devoted fans. Can't wait to woop the Grizz again November 8th!!

The Civil War with the Ducks battling the Beavers.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

^^^
    I think he said I-15, not I-5.

I'm biased, but I think for someone not into football a pac-12 game might be less fun to watch. I have never been to a football game in Utah, but I would think the pre and post party would be nowhere near the level of Montana. I have been to a game at Northern Arizona, and while they are good fans, there are not many of them and football should not be played inside. Although, the mtb'ing in Flagstaff is awesome.

While I think the biking in Bozeman is better than Missoula, there are still some good trails to make Missoula worth the drive. This is what I would do: Looks like the 10/18 game is at noon, so do some morning riding up the Rattle Snake prior to tailgating. After the game walk downtown for drinks and get dinner at Charlie B's, then walk over to Al and Vic's for pool and ~$3 pints of local micro beers.

Bring cash to Charlie B's/The Dino.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    The Ohio State University vs. That Team from Up North

won't disappoint
    A Ohio University vs. University of Michigan?

Absolutely. Just wear Maze and Blue... and use small words when talking to those in red.

(yes, it was tough living in OH during the fall)
    I still call it The Jake.

I15 goes thru LA. Ucla or USC? Or head further south on the 15 and catch a SDSU at Qualcomm and hang out in SD

Quote Originally Posted by steepconcrete View Post
    I15 goes thru LA. Ucla or USC? Or head further south on the 15 and catch a SDSU at Qualcomm and hang out in SD
    Out of those two go with UCLA. The Rose Bowl is fucking awesome, Memorial Coliseum not so much.