Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Media Upload Toolz!

Eh mags,

So today we're launching a new set of media upload tools for the forums using some of the technology we set up over in the Community site. These new tools for photo & video uploads are located on the right side of your post toolbar:

HOW TO UPLOAD A PHOTO:
    Once you've clicked on the photo icon, you'll be given the option to browse all the photos you've uploaded (as of today), upload new photos, or embed photos from other sites using their URL:

To throw in an old photo, just select the photo and hit Insert. If you're uploading a new photo, you'll be taken to this page, where you can upload a single photo or batch-load up to 100 photos:

The only required fields are Title and Sport, and further down the page, you can choose whether or not you want to publish the photo to your TGR Community profile or the Community homepage. If you're doing a huge TR, maybe you want it to show up there, if you're uploading some random single photo of a moose crushing a car in The Padded Room, or whatever, maybe you don't want it to show up there. If you want to keep it private and off your Community profile entirely, toggle the Profile Visible bar. Depending on whether you want it to show up in the larger TGR Community content feed (and thus be eligible for a Staff Pick or for others to more easily view it), toggle the Community Visible bar.

Once again, once you've hit Publish, you'll be taken back to your personal photo feed, from which you can choose one photo at a time to insert into a post.

Then you get:

You can also still upload a photo from somewhere else in the internet (your amateur blog, per se? ), you can upload that by clicking to Embed Existing and adding the URL there.

HOW TO UPLOAD A VIDEO:

For the first time, we're allowing you mags to upload videos straight into the forums. None of that upload to Youtube then find an embed code then come back to the forums nonsense... huzzah! Pretty similar process, just clicking the film reel button at the lefthand side of the toolbar, and going through a pretty similar set of fields as the photo uploader:

You'll need to include a title, upload a Cover Image (i.e. a screenshot from a good part of the video), select a sport, and upload a video file smaller than 200 MB. Then same deal; back to the Insert page, select your video, and hit Insert. Should come out looking as such:

Let us know what you think!
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 09-03-2014 at 12:36 PM.
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Dunfee View Post
    Let us know what you think!
    I think this sucks. Bring back the buttons to enter links.

And bring back tags too. But definitely bring back the picture and video link buttons.

Clicking it tells me to log in again. I would attach a screen grab but I fucking can't.

Do linking youtube videos work like the old way?

Guess so.

PS... putting a Z at the end instead of an S doesn't magically make things cool.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Clicking it tells me to log in again. I would attach a screen grab but I fucking can't.

Do linking youtube videos work like the old way?

Guess so.

PS... putting a Z at the end instead of an S doesn't magically make things cool.
    The login screen can happen if your session expires on the main site. If that happens, enter your forum credentials to be directed back to the insert/upload dialog.

Quote Originally Posted by tgrweb View Post
    The login screen can happen if your session expires on the main site. If that happens, enter your forum credentials to be directed back to the insert/upload dialog.
    Would you call that a bug or a feature?

I really don't like this at all. It took a fairly easy process and made it fucking complicated and time consuming. Plus, it appears that GIFs no longer appear as animated.

I would venture to guess the VAST majority of regular forum participants don't hang out like you think they do on the main site. Meaning this is going to happen to most people a whole lot and piss people off. Do what you want, but I've already made it abundantly clear that in 2014, people want a better experience or they will just stop coming. Not a single thing done this past year has been convenient for people. I get what you're trying to do but the implementation of it just isn't working. Just sayin'. The forum as I see it is on a collision course for Ghost Town, USA.

I can still wrap [IMG] tags around stuff, right? Let's check...

Yep. Sweet. I don't give a shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I think this sucks. Bring back the buttons to enter links.

And bring back tags too. But definitely bring back the picture and video link buttons.
    "Embed Existing" is where you'll want to go for linking to outside photos & videos. That option is still totally available. BB codes still work as normal.

"Embed Existing" is where you'll want to go for linking to outside photos & videos. That option is still totally available. BB codes still work as normal.
    I'm looking for "Embed Existing" buttons in the menu above the Quick Reply and Advanced boxes, but...no. Where do I find that? Am I blind and a moron?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I'm looking for "Embed Existing" buttons in the menu above the Quick Reply and Advanced boxes, but...no. Where do I find that? Am I blind and a moron?
    If you don't want to memorize the BB code (i.e. [IMG]your photo's URL[/IMG])–BB code cheat sheet can be found here: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/misc.php?do=bbcode

Then click the photo button above the reply box (it's on the right of those two options):

And then you will see "Embed Existing" on the righthand side:

"We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    I really don't like this at all. It took a fairly easy process and made it fucking complicated and time consuming. Plus, it appears that GIFs no longer appear as animated.
    We are working on this solution. We know you guys love your GIFs!

^that's what I'm walking about. Breaking existing functionality with a promise of "we're working on it." How about we not be the beta testers and you have something functioning before releasing it into the wild?

Bring back the mother fucking tags instead of this bullshit. Who/what do I have to insult to get banned?

You guys are seriously making this website and forum worse.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Hasn't this been here all along in the same kinda pain in the ass way? Or is this just the "make it easier for pros to post shit"? Not that you give a shit what I think other than to tell me I suck because I'm not a rad pro-bro (or for you and the rest of the TGR peeps to make fun of me Dunfee, all the while loving to cash in on all of the stupid bullshit posts I've made for years - when it came down to brass tacks, you didn't delete me, did you? fucking own it), and frankly, I don't really give a shit about this place because nobody posts stoke anymore because it's a bigger pain in the ass with every passing year.

Everytime I've tried to upload pictures they show up for me, and some others, but not everyone. And then some people get the shitty small images and not the big ones, and others blah blah de fucking blah. Why would I fucking bother anymore? I mean - I posted and other people posted those problems over and over and over and over and nobody said anything?

It's going to be interesting to see if anyone ever uploads any pics or videos to the "TGR Community"...other than "pros."

For realz?

Can you make it any more complicated and frustrating?

Thanks for your input, that's why we open up threads for all new features. We always want to know where the issues lie and make sure we address them. I'll give an update EOD on the login and gif issues.

These tools are meant to enhance your forum experience, not make it more frustrating. We're giving you access to a library of all your photos. We know it's not as simple as 1 upload button but now you can batch upload multiple photos for TRs, etc making it actually faster in that way and if you want to upload a video you can!

If you don't want to use the community site, great, stay in the forums, but if you do, now there is a bridge between the content.

Give it a solid shot, but don't hesitate to speak back up if you just can't get the hang of it and have workable suggestions for us.

Hugh Conway Guest
    I'd give it a solid shot but it asks me to login to the TGR community when I click the "insert pictures" button. As in, I just posted this, then tried to edit and insert a picture, oh well. We could access all of our pictures and upload multiple pictures before.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    I'd give it a solid shot but it asks me to login to the TGR community when I click the "insert pictures" button. As in, I just posted this, then tried to edit and insert a picture, oh well. We could access all of our pictures and upload multiple pictures before.
    If you get hit with the login box, please try your forum credentials and let us know if that doesn't work.

Animated GIFs should be working again.

Last edited by tgrweb; 09-09-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    why should I bother? I mean, it's your fucking website, if you don't care that it's annoying to use, far be it for me to give a shit anymore than typing out this post.

If you get hit with the login box, please try your forum credentials and let us know if that doesn't work.

Animated GIFs should be working again.

OK, Let me give you guys some credit where credit is due, as well as be more granular in my grievances.

I uploaded several images recently in a single post to a thread in gear swap. I will say that it was no less convenient than doing it the older way, as once I had all the parameters set I could just click and point. In many ways, it was nice, and I'll admit that the workflow of uploading several images in rapid succession was improved.

What I *don't* like is all the annoying other stuff you have to do with every image or image series upload. Even if you want to post a picture of a pair of bindings, you have to create an album, name it, identify the sport, click off the default of posting it to your profile- all of THAT is very annoying and really just feels extraneous, and even hard to understand- is this an "album?" what does that mean? why does it need a caption, where will the caption appear? What does it mean to make it "community-accessible?" Etc. For me, this is where the annoyance lies. If you had a box for *simple* upload to some sort of generic album where it didn't post to my profile or TGR at large- or better yet, made that the default (as that's how 90% of users will be using it, I'll bet)- then I think you'd have an argument to me made that you improved functionality. But otherwise, for most of my single-photo posts, I would prefer the old way.

Does this mean I can live stream my go pro to the site now?

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    ...and even hard to understand- is this an "album?" what does that mean? why does it need a caption, where will the caption appear? What does it mean to make it "community-accessible?" Etc. For me, this is where the annoyance lies. If you had a box for *simple* upload to some sort of generic album where it didn't post to my profile or TGR at large- or better yet, made that the default (as that's how 90% of users will be using it, I'll bet)- then I think you'd have an argument to me made that you improved functionality. But otherwise, for most of my single-photo posts, I would prefer the old way.

Thanks for the detailed feedback. Here’s how the photo uploader works in relation to albums and the community with a demonstration. You will see I just uploaded 2 photos here. I created a “Teton Pass” album and selected to have it shown on my profile but not the community (these are the default options). You don't have to add captions, but if you do, they show up on the photo detail page if you click from my profile.

See my profile here and the Teton Pass album: https://www.tetongravity.com/communit...rennabreathes/

Photo album page: https://www.tetongravity.com/photo/snowboard/teton-pass

But I didn’t want it to show up here, https://www.tetongravity.com/community, so I left the community visible to no.

We are working for a solution that works best for the site as a whole, but do hear your thoughts on too many required fields and are considering what we can change - please keep the comments coming. This is just phase 1 of the upload tools and do have plans to improve so we are always open for suggestions.

Last edited by brennabreathes; 09-09-2014 at 01:12 PM.
    Smile, breathe and go slowly.