Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Do you call in drunk drivers?

Saw a guy bounce off the guard rail getting on the interstate, keep going and not be able to stay in his lane. At one point he almost veered into the car next to him, who was driving while texting and drifting right up on the dotted line - a display of holy fuck the world is broken can Google make auto driving cars come about faster?. This was at 8pm in still heavy traffic. I decided that this dude needed to be off the road before he hurt someone and called it in. Am I a snitch?

^^^ not a snitch.... saving someone's life. If you notice them, they need to get off the road.

Would you call the fire department if you drove by a burning building?
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

I have called in drunk drivers on two occasions. The hotline for State Patrol here is *CSP and I have used it when I think someone is truly a safety hazard to others on the road. I don't care if that makes you or I a snitch. People endangering others with their terrible driving should be taken off the road. Unfortunately I don't think anything came of either call. I left my details with the dispatcher and gave detailed descriptions of the vehicles/location/direction and never heard back.

A snitch? What are you, 12?

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    No, he's posting from prison.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    That part was supposed to be a joke.

Dude was ALL over the road in front of me one night. I called the police. They told me to call a different department and hung up.

I was leaving John's in Boulder one night and saw this guy on that 25 mph road on the outskirts of downtown driving on the wrong side of the road. I called it in and two cops cut me off at an intersection 3 blocks down after i reported it with their lights blaring. They were on that shit. Dude probably didn't get a mile and a half from the time I dialed. I got a DUI in college and if someone had reported me I'd still be driving my '01 330i. Was a great car. Live and learn.
    "One season per year, the gods open the skies, and releases a white, fluffy, pillow on top of the most forbidding mountain landscapes, allowing people to travel over them with ease and relative abandonment of concern for safety. It's incredible."

Absolutely the right thing to do to report someone who is driving that erratically.

Good call. I don't call in the minor shit that would still get them pulled over here, minor drifting, erratic speed, etc- but if somebody bams a guardrail, hell yeah I'll put my beer down and make the call...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Maybe he/she was having a medical emergency?

Not everyone is drunk.

Still the correct action to call.
    watch out for snakes

Fuck yeah. I've seen too many head on collisions to let that shit slide. Called in at least three, one six months ago after he took out a yield sign on Fresh Pond Parkway.

And especially now that my daughter is about to get behind the wheel.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    ... hell yeah I'll put my beer down and make the call...
    As long as there's no danger of spilling any of course.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

To me it's always a matter of how serious is the threat to life and limb? If the guy's all over the road, I owe it to my fellow drivers and their passengers to try to get him off the road. Better a DUI bust than a vehicular homicide bust.

Yep I've done it once.

Was fishing at local pond late at night and a car pulled into the lot and parked. No big deal since tons of kids hang out there. He was parked there for about 20 minutes then attempted to leave. The parking lot is literally a big dirt lot with no obstacles and the guy could not find his way out… After watching for 5 minutes I decided to move my car to an adjacent street cause I didn't want to deal with him hitting it. I watched from there for a couple more minutes then decided I had to call it in. Figures the guy finally found his way out before and cops showed so I called back and followed him for a bit. One right turn and down that street a ways I see the lights coming up behind and pull over, cop goes whizzing by. I think the drunk/drugged up dude actually tried to run since he was going 30mph while I was following him then took off when he saw the flashing lights and was pulled over way down the road.

Got a call a couple days later thanking me for calling in so I figure I did the right thing.

I do it just to fuck with people driving Priuses.

Absolutely! Just don't call in someone you're road-raging with, and throw in that you think they're drunk just to step up the response. Unless of course you really do think they're drunk and road-raging, then by all means, call it in!

Never ceases to amaze me how many people think 911 is there to provide traffic updates and settle pissing matches on the highway. While I'm on my soap box; don't brake-check tailgaters. That's a good way to cause an accident, maybe get yourself or other injured or killed, or at the very least, earn yourself a reckless driving summons.

Oh yeah, if you've reported a drunk driver, don't be surprised if you're not called back. Often the officer will try to develop his own probably cause to pull a vehicle over, saving you the trouble of showing up in court to testify.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Well sure, Priuses. Smug motherfuckers.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    I knew it. You're Jeremy Clarkson in real life, right?

Ha, speaking of which, I was stopped at a stop sign yesterday behind a Kia hybrid, and the dork driving it had an "I am the Stig" sticker on the back window.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Yep I've done it once.

Was fishing at local pond late at night and a car pulled into the lot and parked. No big deal since tons of kids hang out there. He was parked there for about 20 minutes then attempted to leave. The parking lot is literally a big dirt lot with no obstacles and the guy could not find his way out… After watching for 5 minutes I decided to move my car to an adjacent street cause I didn't want to deal with him hitting it. I watched from there for a couple more minutes then decided I had to call it in. Figures the guy finally found his way out before and cops showed so I called back and followed him for a bit. One right turn and down that street a ways I see the lights coming up behind and pull over, cop goes whizzing by. I think the drunk/drugged up dude actually tried to run since he was going 30mph while I was following him then took off when he saw the flashing lights and was pulled over way down the road.

Got a call a couple days later thanking me for calling in so I figure I did the right thing.

......Snich

To be clear snitching is a legitimate concern when cops are doing buy busts

But Ive called highway patrol for a drunk.
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Yup right thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by bendtheski View Post
    Absolutely! Just don't call in someone you're road-raging with, and throw in that you think they're drunk just to step up the response. Unless of course you really do think they're drunk and road-raging, then by all means, call it in!
    This! Had a guy tailgaiting me one night on a two lane road. I'm following a slow moving granny at a safe distance, guy behind me is no more than five feet off my bumper in a truck, putting his headlights right at mirror level and blinding me. I did the slow down thing, he didn't back off. The granny turned off and I sped up a decent amount. He still hung on my ass way too close. I touched my brakes (not a brake check, didn't slow down a wink, just touched the pedal enough to get the lights to illuminate and then immediately back on the gas) He was so startled he swerved off the road. Then proceeded to flash his brights, honk, flip out etc. Eventually I'd had enough and sped off through the windy backroads, but a few miles later the cops had the road blocked off because the cock sucker reported a drunk. Gave the cop my story, he said I was free to go, I left.

Wish I had just pulled over and had a polite discussion with him about his shit driving instead. And by that I mean punched his teeth out.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Based on the amount of cunts and dudley do-rights here...I didn't even read the thread, I'm just gonna assume about 90% of you would snitch.

How'd I do??

Quote Originally Posted by DickMerkin View Post
    Based on the amount of cunts and dudley do-rights here...I didn't even read the thread, I'm just gonna assume about 90% of you would snitch.

How'd I do??
    A+ on establishing you're an immature douche.

Carry on...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.