Page 12 of 106 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Alex,
    Just read the article and want to say it was really valuable. I think you've done a really good job of giving valuable insights into the particular incident and you are also pointing the way toward a necessary component of avalanche education and risk evaluation that is a little bit under developed right now. I would like to see the sort of thing go further. when I had my own incident or I triggered something on myself a couple years ago at your castle be, I really wish that I had had a couple of questions ready at hand in my mind to ask before getting on that slope. I think you need to have a few critical evaluative tools ready at hand in your brain and practice using them the same way you practice using your beacon. did you start a separate thread about this article?
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Winter 2000-2001. Mike linked it up thread. They were Truckee High kids, IIRC. I remember talking about it with ski team friends (different school).
    I believe there was a more recent incident too. IIRC, alkasquawlik made a last-minute decision to go back via the Squaw side, but he lost two buddies.

Quote Originally Posted by gone2alpine View Post
    Squaw killed the popular Locals program....but hey, if you buy five lessons for $1900, you get the 6th for free!
    I never really understood the distinctions, and always had my kids on teams, but that's really too bad.

There's still Mountain Rangers and Alpine Rangers, although those prices have risen lately too.
    not counting days 2016-17

Tahoe Prosperity Center is in the last week of the broadband speed test. Please take their survey and speed test -- it will help move towards improved broadband access in the whole basin.

http://tahoeprosperity.org/speed/

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    I believe there was a more recent incident too. IIRC, alkasquawlik made a last-minute decision to go back via the Squaw side, but he lost two buddies.
    Interesting. I don't recall that one at all, nor does a Google search turn anything up...

Here's the TDT article on the 2001 incident: http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/art...NEWS/102238579
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Interesting. I don't recall that one at all, nor does a Google search turn anything up...

Here's the TDT article on the 2001 incident: http://www.tahoedailytribune.com/art...NEWS/102238579
    Pretty sure it was the same incident. If I remember correctly, Cody discussed it during a Low Pressure Podcast last year: http://lowpressurepodcast.com/episod...lyse-saugstad/

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Pretty sure it was the same incident. If I remember correctly, Cody discussed it during a Low Pressure Podcast last year: http://lowpressurepodcast.com/episod...lyse-saugstad/
    Yep. Same incident. 55:30 in the podcast. I was pretty sure there was only one. At least in the last 15 years that I've been paying attention.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    I would like to see the sort of thing go further ... I really wish that I had had a couple of questions ready at hand in my mind to ask before getting on that slope. I think you need to have a few critical evaluative tools ready at hand in your brain and practice using them the same way you practice using your beacon. did you start a separate thread about this article?
    No separate thread, just the Pucker Face thread in Slide zone.

Thanks for the comments from you and others. Any more detailed thoughts on taking this to the next step, please PM me directly. I've been fortunate to have been involved in a lot of good discussion with educational leaders since I've posted the article and presented at the California Avalanche Workshop, and there is an opportunity to focus some feedback on where we can go next.

I think the recreational BC education and culture in the US is kind of scratching the surface of where we ultimately need to get to. BC usage and adoption is up, BC gear is the fastest growing sector of the hardgoods part of the industry (so I hear), resorts are responding with open gates, and snowpacks are unfortunately thinning ... education and culture need to evolve to keep the pace with the changes we are seeing today. IMO.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Pucker Face slide zone thread with great discussion, pick a page or read it all.

Humans suck at decision making. Working to be better at it will save some lives.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Snow over Donner Summit. 80 east stopped. I turned around at Boreal. West bound a fucking mess too. Wrecks galore
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Fat, wet flakes comin down in Tahoe City

Just as I finished my ride today and threw my bike in the back of the vehicle, all hell let loose, perfect timing!

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Me too. I knew I was going to have to haul ass down toadsClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1414275377.215799.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	930.5 KB 
ID:	159451

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Snow over Donner Summit. 80 east stopped. I turned around at Boreal. West bound a fucking mess too. Wrecks galore
    I drove over just before 1 yesterday and made it no problem. It was snowing pretty good at the top and it was a bit hair-raising, especially since I've been a flake and haven't replaced my balding tires yet. But I had a feeling my timing was good and it was just a matter of time before it became spinout city up there. Looks like a few minutes later & I woulda been screwed.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

What up 14/??

Nice to see some snow. I'm starting to actually look like my avatar, the motivation is timely.

And, Scralph, skimmed the article and look forward to finding some time to really digest it. Good stuff.

Felt good to play in the snow yesterday, next weekend we Ski???

Making snow at Squaw monday morning, Alright!

Yeah, I had the timing wrong. That was the one.

Quote Originally Posted by tahoe420 View Post
    Making snow at Squaw monday morning, Alright!
    Sweet.

I appreciated this: http://mammothsnowman.com/mammoth-mo...014-15-season/

Not that it means anything, per se, but it's nice that it's not negative.

TahoeBC, that looks fun, where did you go?

All the photo's are between Star Lake and Freel Pass on the Tahoe Rim trail.

Looks like winter really starts later this week

WestCoastPDR Guest
    TahoeBC what's the drivetrain on that. Obviously a 1x? That's an awesome ride.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    All the photo's are between Star Lake and Freel Pass on the Tahoe Rim trail.

Looks like winter really starts later this week
    Fingers crossed and I'll be up there Saturday with a load of wood and skis.

I have two pairs of SCC Super Z6 chains for cars I no longer own. Sizes SZ131 and SZ139. Check whether they'll fit your car here. If they will, I prefer bottle in front of me to a frontal lobotomy.

EDITED TO ADD: I bought these because they're the easiest to put on and take off. Which means that I've actually used them.
    Last edited by The Dad; 10-28-2014 at 08:44 AM.

Just signed for a ski lease. Fingers crossed for more snow. Anyone want to throw an Ullr party in the Bay Area?
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I'll be up there Saturday with a load of wood and skis.
    Do you get Wood, when you Stack Wood at the Wood?

EastCoastPDR that is a Sram X01 1x11 drivetrain