Page 21 of 106 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    uh, yeah. it is pretty clear that there are (or were) facets, so you kind of have to take my post as meaningless drivel. otoh, anything you can do to make it snow? im just made at alex for praising high elevation single track. he can get that shit coastal.

sun is coming out down here. gonna have a chance at an epic sunset. With the high filling back in, winds are going off shore, and the next few days will have some fun surf.

do i earn my no caps bonus????

things look good ten days out tho
    Sometimes I miss Santa Cruz and the Bay Area.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Everything is always 10 days out

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    do i earn my no caps bonus????
    FUCK NO!!! (With)
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Dec 18 in Squaw Valley - Chris Davenport's show: Lessons from the Mountains: The Art of Risk Management
    https://www.facebook.com/AlpenglowSp...nts?key=events

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thieves steal $25,000 in skis, snowboards in overnight Truckee burglary

TRUCKEE, Calif. — Police are investigating an overnight burglary of a downtown ski and snowboard shop where more than $25,000 worth of gear was stolen.

At about 3 a.m. Thursday, suspects broke into the Soulhouse Project Ski and Snowboard Shop at 10116 E St., just off Donner Pass Road, according to the Truckee Police Department, and took roughly 40 skis and snowboards.

“The alarm was activated upon entry; however, the thieves appeared to quickly flee the area after the activation,” officers said in a Thursday afternoon statement.

TPD Det. Arnie Lopez said a minimum of two people are suspected in the burglary. The shop, located at the old Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church site, was brand new to Truckee and was expected to open for business next week, he said.

Detectives are working with other local and state law enforcement on leads and are awaiting results from the California Department of Justice crime lab for evidence found at the shop.

“We have very good success at locating suspects in these kinds of cases when the public stays alert to possible scams and provides information to law enforcement,” said TPD Sgt. Bob Womack.

The stolen gear is reportedly worth more than $25,000. Officers suspect the items will soon be advertised on CraigsList or in a similar venue.

“The snowboards were all brand new, without bindings, made by Lib Technologies and Burton in various graphic designs and models,” officers said. “The skis were all Moment brand, unmounted, and will require a template to install any bindings.”

Anyone with information should contact Womack at 530-550-2335 or Lopez at 530-550-2336.

Wow that sucks. Would raise some eyebrows on CraigsList locally but easy enough to get that amount of gear out of Tahoe. You could easily fund a winter road trip around the west by selling a couple pairs at every stop without raising too much suspicion. Another shop even somewhat local could also fold that into their inventory as well. Here's to hoping their genitals end up in a vice.

Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastPDR View Post
    Everything is always 10 days out
    That's the story of the last 3 seasons.

Too early to call this one though.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    That's the story of the last 3 seasons.

Too early to call this one though.
    Yeah I'm sticking with a negative. keep your hopes low and you'll mostly only be pleasantly surprised.

Nice layer of rime on the upper Mtn at Squaw this morning...so it does look like this storm actually improved conditions.

Current conditions on Donner:

Nice to see boreal making snow even at 10 in the morning.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1416769951.138122.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	692.6 KB 
ID:	160715

The WROD at Heavenly wasn't bad this morning for the first hour or so. Now it's packed and the carnage is fully underway. Good toboggan practice for patrol, I suppose.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike

TRUCKEE, Calif. — Police are investigating an overnight burglary of a downtown ski and snowboard shop where more than $25,000 worth of gear was stolen.

At about 3 a.m. Thursday, suspects broke into the Soulhouse Project Ski and Snowboard Shop at 10116 E St., just off Donner Pass Road, according to the Truckee Police Department, and took roughly 40 skis and snowboards.

“The snowboards were all brand new, without bindings, made by Lib Technologies and Burton in various graphic designs and models,” officers said. “The skis were all Moment brand, unmounted, and will require a template to install any bindings.”
    Does anyone know which auction these will be sold at? I imagine the shop will have their insurance claim processed promptly and we will see these skis up on auction in a year or two. I bought a pair of skis from a police auction once for $1 new, in plastic. The tax and processing cost me $5. Maybe we can track this and make lemonade out of this lemon.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Does anyone know what Squaw will have running on opening day? I'm assuming gold coast and funi downloads, but absolutely zero info on the website and we called and someone told us only the magic carpet.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

magic carpet is the new awesome. it is magic, so yeah , awesome.

did i get my bonus this time?

and besides, i was looking 14 days out. that is where the real beta is.

I'm hoping this can stay in peoples minds and radars. Ski thieves suck.

“The alarm was activated upon entry; however, the thieves appeared to quickly flee the area after the activation,” officers said in a Thursday afternoon statement.

TPD Det. Arnie Lopez said a minimum of two people are suspected in the burglary. The shop, located at the old Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary Catholic Church site, was brand new to Truckee and was expected to open for business next week, he said.

Detectives are working with other local and state law enforcement on leads and are awaiting results from the California Department of Justice crime lab for evidence found at the shop.

“We have very good success at locating suspects in these kinds of cases when the public stays alert to possible scams and provides information to law enforcement,” said TPD Sgt. Bob Womack.

The stolen gear is reportedly worth more than $25,000. Officers suspect the items will soon be advertised on CraigsList or in a similar venue.

Anyone with information should contact Womack at 530-550-2335 or Lopez at 530-550-2336.

this evenings update both on open snow and noaa, which pull from the same models, is very optimistic

No joke, that's a lot better since the last time I checked.

I'm gonna be up near Sac for the weekend of the 7th (25 Hours of Thunderhill if anybody's a road racing fan) and gonna try to take a few days to hit Tahoe the following week, anybody got opinions on the best place to go at that point of the season? Family might come up and none of them are serious skiers either, so somewhere with nice shiny lodge/shopping/etc wouldn't be the worst.

Northstar. If you want mellow skiing with plenty of man made. Squaw if you plan to leave tem at the base and head up to the upper mountain (assuming we get snow).

California ski areas getting some love from the NYT yesterday:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/sp...wn-future.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    To bad it's cheaper to fly in from urp than jfk, Newark or lagWaardiA. (Said in a heavy NYalk accent.

So much for that rain doing us some good. Anyone further south take a look yet?

"Little change to the snowpack has occurred on N aspects in Hourglass Bowl since the observations made on Nov 17. Weak depth hoar and strong snowpack temperature gradients continue to exist and were not destroyed by rainfall."

http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org...ce=twitterfeed

maybe the 60 degree temps next coupla days will fix it.

Facets shmacets. There won't even be enough snow to do anything but wreck skis and bones even IF this storm over produces. Stick to climbing, biking, and football watching until the goods are here.

Interesting anti stoke article on powdiction a while ago:http://www.powdiction.com/2014/11/ho...-froze-us.html

"Since records began in the mid to late 1800s there have only been two other cold air outbreaks of this magnitude in November, which occurred in 1880 and 1976. If extreme cold air outbreaks in November are any indication of Sierra snowfall, we are in for a dismal snow year. The winters of 1881 and 1977 were the two lowest on record…"

Time for a road trip to the Tetons. Forecast is POW the rest of the week. Any of you mangs making the trek?

Quote Originally Posted by BGnight View Post
    Facets shmacets. There won't even be enough snow to do anything but wreck skis and bones even IF this storm over produces. Stick to climbing, biking, and football watching until the goods are here.

Interesting anti stoke article on powdiction a while ago:http://www.powdiction.com/2014/11/ho...-froze-us.html

"Since records began in the mid to late 1800s there have only been two other cold air outbreaks of this magnitude in November, which occurred in 1880 and 1976. If extreme cold air outbreaks in November are any indication of Sierra snowfall, we are in for a dismal snow year. The winters of 1881 and 1977 were the two lowest on record…"
    Pah.
    Just one data point? Feels like I wasted my time reading that instead of looking at the GFS for hours on end. Bring on the facets!

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Does anyone know what Squaw will have running on opening day? I'm assuming gold coast and funi downloads, but absolutely zero info on the website and we called and someone told us only the magic carpet.
    The Magic carpet is better then nothing.... Oh, crap who am I kidding, that is a joke.

Weather forecast is looking better, but have been seeing that for the last 3 yrs. Forecast looks good, then the storm goes North or South or beats it's self to death on the high pressure ridge.

You forgot option number four where warm air dominates through end of precipitation period with rain falling right up to the facets.