Page 5 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    It's officially Fall in two days but between the 90+ degree temps and all of the fires it might as well be July. Back to the MTB-ing... and on that note, I put this together recently. Tried to do something a little different, showing how riding can fill some of that void during the off season.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It's officially Fall in two days but between the 90+ degree temps and all of the fires it might as well be July. Back to the MTB-ing... and on that note, I put this together recently. Tried to do something a little different, showing how riding can fill some of that void during the off season.

Excellent stoke. May-September is for finding other things to do. So true.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Thanks, J, very nice. Looking forward to the season.

Who's going to be at DOMY tonight at Squaw Creek? 7:00 or 9:00? Is it easy to sneak in booze? (compared to Jones Higher premier)

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Take a look at the time lapse video from the mid station gonjola at heavenly's web page. Pretty cool shot of the stars and then the smoke pillowing into the basin. Rode up to the top of Armstrong pass this afternoon in clear air and by the time I got back to my truck it was pretty smokey.

Stevens and red lake peak look much better in white. From last week.

Sorry for the smoked-out triathletes, especially the ones who were counting on one last chance to qualify for Hawaii.

Was at Squaw for matchstick last night. Didn't try to sneak in any booze, but got plenty of smoke. I thought it was the most stoked I've ever been after a ski movie. Hands down. There were so many different examples of ways to have fun on skis and also a real solid approach to the ways that engaging in risk brings meaning to one's life.
    Now chance of snow showers in Fx for late next week...
    YES!
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Movie was good last night. Good thing the Ironlung Man was cancelled. More restaurant options in Reno:

Chinese and Sushi: Cafe 168 on Virginia behind the Black Bear Diner across from the Century Theater.

Mexican: Tacos El Rey on West McCarren in the Safeway Lot.

Pizza: True NY Pizza in Sparks. The real deal for east coast pizza.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by Flexon Phil View Post

Pizza: True NY Pizza in Sparks. The real deal for east coast pizza.
    East coast pizza is overrated. Village Pizzeria in Truckee for deep dish.

True. Unless you actually enjoy eating the good shit. Other than the fact that it is mosty crap, the pizza in cali is outstanding.

I will take west coast pizza over east coast Mexican food every day of the week...

I don't think that Phil was trying to start a deep dish vs thin crust battle. They're different beasts. They have about as much in common as either has with a meatball sub.

I will say that Front Street Station in Tahoe City is the closest to NY style I've found in Tahoe, but I haven't tried Phil's suggestion in Sparks.
    not counting days 2016-17

Ski Lease has some spots @ Squaw: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/vac/4675776691.html
    live the life.

We have a day scheduled to hit the trails with our staff from work on Wednesday. I know Mt. Rose wilderness and Donner are terrible with all the smoke. I'm guessing Desolation isn't great with the smoke settling in the basin. Does anyone know if Carson Pass is clear?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    I will take west coast pizza over east coast Mexican food every day of the week...
    Hadn't had good Mexican since I moved out here, I know better to order it now when I go back there, besides there are so many better options, why would I.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    East coast pizza is overrated. Village Pizzeria in Truckee for deep dish.
    Deepdish is cake with sauce, its not pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dad View Post
    I don't think that Phil was trying to start a deep dish vs thin crust battle.... but I haven't tried Phil's suggestion in Sparks.
    Maybe I was. When you come down this way we will get some real pizza.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Deepdish is cake with sauce, its not pizza..
    Internet bravery. Go to Lakeshore Drive in Chicago and say that to someone's face. And I suppose you don't like Ragu either. (Back when I worked for a pizzeria in Detroit, owned by an Italian immigrant, when he ran out of the spaghetti sauce his wife made he would send me to the grocery store for Ragu.)

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    We have a day scheduled to hit the trails with our staff from work on Wednesday. I know Mt. Rose wilderness and Donner are terrible with all the smoke. I'm guessing Desolation isn't great with the smoke settling in the basin. Does anyone know if Carson Pass is clear?
    It's not as bad in the morning and it's better the farther south you go. It was pretty much socked in here in Kings Beach by 3pm. More southwest wind tomorrow tho, so the areas downwind from the firei.e. Truckee/north lake will probably be as bad or worse and the areas south will probably be better.

From today:

Check out the thread over in the padded room

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Internet bravery. Go to Lakeshore Drive in Chicago and say that to someone's face. And I suppose you don't like Ragu either. (Back when I worked for a pizzeria in Detroit, owned by an Italian immigrant, when he ran out of the spaghetti sauce his wife made he would send me to the grocery store for Ragu.)
    Why would I go to Chicago ( or Detroit) for italian food? Because they have sections like the North End of Boston and Little Italy like New York? You are basing pizza based upon the ability to make a National chain like Pizzaria Uno and Dominos.. ..chains. I come from the east coast..thats where the real food comes from. Your view shows anyone can post on the internet, if they are brave..or no basis of knowledge.
    Last edited by Flexon Phil; 09-22-2014 at 08:56 PM.
    Click. Point. Chute.

Quote Originally Posted by maskinut View Post
    Ski Lease has some spots @ Squaw: http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/vac/4675776691.html
    While I can't vouch for the house or anyone associated with it, the house I stay at is just a few houses down the same road. It's a really great location and cool to be right by the river.

Deepdish is cake with sauce, its not pizza.
    I'm sure you've already seen and approve of this Phil, but it must be posted in any thread with such debates.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/8o83j9/tower-record

TahoeJ beat me to TDS.
    not counting days 2016-17

the pizza argument is old but I'll bite... you can call chicago style pizza crap pie (or cake) and i'd still choose it over something referred to as new york style pizza.

more importantly, significant precip moving into northern CA this coming week. the season is changing (slowly).

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoe Bromide View Post
    the pizza argument is old but I'll bite... you can call chicago style pizza crap pie (or cake) and i'd still choose it over something referred to as new york style ).
    Here's the difference. Just as Jon Stewart said...it is Chicago "style" pizza..in New York..it's just pizza. Capisce?
    Click. Point. Chute.

http://santarpiospizza.com/

If you ever find yourself in Boston this is one of many. Fuck even the local grocery store chain makes acceptable pizza these days.

True NY is solid, expensive because they can be.

I'll eat most style pizza, replace most with ANY if I'm drunk enough.

Quote Originally Posted by splitter View Post
    Just gonna have to watch the wind forcasts and make the call last minute. Last Sunday Horse Canyon near Kirkwood was smoke free.

Why would I go to Chicago ( or Detroit) for italian food? Because they have sections like the North End of Boston and Little Italy like New York? You are basing pizza based upon the ability to make a National chain like Pizzaria Uno and Dominos.. ..chains. I come from the east coast..thats where the real food comes from. Your view shows anyone can post on the internet, if they are brave..or no basis of knowledge.
    Now that hurts. I would NEVER willingly eat pizza at a chain. (Unless I was in a hurry, hungry, with an empty fridge and too lazy to go out and I ordered a pizza delivered from Pizza Guys, or my next door neighbor invited to us out to pizza and took us to Round Table.) (This is what happens when RF starts the new thread too soon.)

Logging back into TGR after a long time off. Good to see this thread up and running. Hoping for a good winter this year for sure. Been out on the road bike a lot this summer.