Page 3 of 106 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    I'd say Tahoe Local pass, hopefully if we get a normal winter and some decent lake level snow, Heavenly can be a great place to get long ass powder runs especially if your willing to look beyond the ropes, also additional insurance for when 88 is hosed. Ever since the tree bounced some folks off the lift at Sierra, I don't think there as wiling to keep to lifts open on Storm days as they used to be.

WestCoastPDR Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Now that I'm a south lake resident, should I go tahoe local pass or kirkwood only no blackouts? Already have Sierra covered and don't think I'd go to heav that much, and never flatstar.
    The Heav is nice on windy days. Nevada side can usually operate in strong winds. Plus there is some fun slackcountry over here. Only skied N* early season for some different terrain. Either way its 479 bucks. Plus since your a local you might not even want to ski the black out days at Kirkwood.

Had the windows closed the last few nights other than last night when I forgot to close guest room window. Woke up at 3am and remembered that a bear broke into the neighbors house and that window is right at the the street level which would have lead to easy entry for a bear.

Glad I got my September turns in with Vet's. Forecast looks clear and sunny for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Rider View Post
    Now that I'm a south lake resident, should I go tahoe local pass or kirkwood only no blackouts? Already have Sierra covered and don't think I'd go to heav that much, and never flatstar.
    If you have the cash, you might consider adding Mountain Collective to whatever other pass you get. Squalpine is close and Mammoth not much farther. Northstar can be rad in big storms when everybody else is on windhold. Otherwise, yeah, not a priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Quote Originally Posted by LightRanger View Post
    Northstar can be rad in big storms when everybody else is on windhold. Otherwise, yeah, not a priority.
    This. Plus, many of the clientele there are not, shall we say, weather hardy, so on storm days you can have the place to yourself while the lodges are packed by 10am. Some of the best days I've ever had were Squawlpine in the morning, eat lunch on the drive over, fresh tracks at N* in the trees until the bell.

This week's sign that the apocalypse is upon us - no more stand-alone Alpine Meadows website: http://squawalpine.com/

Ugh.

Not exactly winter-related, but there's an important meeting at the Chateau at 6 p.m. in Incline tonight to discuss IVGID's potential plans to develop more summer activities at Diamond Peak, particularly mountain biking trails and pump track. If any locals wanted to show up, that'd be sweet. Alternatively, you could send an email to brw@ivgid.org voicing your support for the plan.

Yeah sierra shuts it down when the wind meter hits 50 now.

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    This week's sign that the apocalypse is upon us - no more stand-alone Alpine Meadows website: http://squawalpine.com/

Ugh.
    Unsurprising. Waiting for the incensed unofficialalpine post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!

Ugh.
    You aren't impressed with their psychic weather forecast a month ahead of time?
    Right now it shows the temperature at Squaw at 50 degrees while Alpine is at 19 degrees for 10/09/2014.

Ugh.
    nor a standalone Squaw site, but they're not as likely to get upset.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Not exactly winter-related, but there's an important meeting at the Chateau at 6 p.m. in Incline tonight to discuss IVGID's potential plans to develop more summer activities at Diamond Peak, particularly mountain biking trails and pump track. If any locals wanted to show up, that'd be sweet. Alternatively, you could send an email to brw@ivgid.org voicing your support for the plan.
    That would be rad if they developed some trails over there, I some times hike up the ski run to get back onto the rim from the incline flume after dropping Tyrolian, it would be cool if there was an option to ride back up there, or take a lift

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    That would be rad if they developed some trails over there, I some times hike up the ski run to get back onto the rim from the incline flume after dropping Tyrolian, it would be cool if there was an option to ride back up there, or take a lift

Man, that's a slog. I think I'd take Fairview to Incline Flume.

There's definitely a lot of untapped potential. It seems like there was a lot of local support for the plan at the meeting, although there were the expected curmudgeons complaining about taxes, traffic, and how much longer they've lived in Tahoe than you.

I've also heard rumors of Diamond Peak expanding to the Carson side of the slope, which would be interesting. I'll have my first-ever DP pass this year and I'm actually kind of dorkily excited.

Do this when the North facing stuff out of Tahoe Meadows is still snowed in, I think it's like a 20 minute hike, good practice for boot packing

Hopefully we get some decent lake level snows events this year...

Quote Originally Posted by Vets View Post
    You aren't impressed with their psychic weather forecast a month ahead of time?
    Right now it shows the temperature at Squaw at 50 degrees while Alpine is at 19 degrees for 10/09/2014.
    Well, with a high if 19 forecast for early October, is day we are headed in the right direction. GFS has had the first wet storm on the charts for two weeks out. Fantasy land, but nice to see that along with the fact it has stayed in the forecast for the past 6 runs.

Fish, unless you need to ski inbounds during the blackout, I'd get the local pass. We get the KW only because we lce on the coast and my wife is a high school teacher and hence we ski a lot of blackout days. I actually love the blackout, cause KW does not really attract tourist ad the place is empty during the blackout periods. This past year Sundays seemed busier than most Saturdays.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    , Heavenly can be a great place to get long ass powder runs especially if your willing to look beyond the ropes, also additional insurance for when 88 is hosed. Ever since the tree bounced some folks off the lift at Sierra, I don't think there as wiling to keep to lifts open on Storm days as they used to be.
    or you could just ride this on storm days. It always produces. No crowds and access is only closed when the road is closed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	25754_379710029069_2558582_n.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	158146  
    Snow Flake Killer

Something similar is my solution to no lifts turning at KW. Just means you won't be cold like you would be when the lift stops turning.

impossible to find

Anyone know when and where the Truckee ski swap happens? I'm looking to sell my whole quiver and pick up a split.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Truckee swap is November 8 at the rec center. Tahoe City is 2nd Saturday of October usually. At North Tahoe High School. Volunteer and you get to shop before the public and get the best deals.
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

Thanks! Are you sure you mean November 8th? it's a Monday.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Is there a Kirkwood network pass this year? If so who is doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Thanks! Are you sure you mean November 8th? it's a Monday.
    November 8th is a Saturday on my calendar, Dec. 8th is a Monday.
    Twenty-Five Dollars and a six-pack to my name

Man, Burger Lounge is still on that SLT Grub list? Splat, please delete!!!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    Is there a Kirkwood network pass this year? If so who is doing it?
    As far as I know the Kirkwood Network Pass is still no mas.

additional grub recos:

TRUCKEE
    Date Night:
    Pianeta - http://www.pianetarestauranttruckee.com/
    Located in Old Town. Run by a husband/wife team who can usually be found behind the bar/manning the hostess station, respectively. Nouveau Truckee Italian. Request to sit "downstairs" or at the bar in lieu of upstairs.

Sushi:
    Java Sushi - http://www.javasushitruckee.com/
    I'm a bit of a self-proclaimed sushi snob and haven't really found any places on par with what you can get in SF or LA or NY or London, but I've become rather fond of Java, which is located next to the DMV (and next to the rotisserie that G2A mentioned). They have a solid All-You-Can-Eat menu, they smoke their own trout for sashimi and nigiri, and they have a pretty extensive vegetarian selection of rolls for those who can't get with gills and fins.

Great Beer Selection:
    Sticks Market
    Located on Old 40 on Donner Lake, this small market easily has the deepest beer selection in town. Not only that, but their prices tend to be at least a $1 less per sixer than other comparable spots in town (i.e. New Moon).

KING'S BEACH/BROCKWAY
    Date Night:
    The Soule Domain - http://www.souledomain.com/
    Located on a side street behind the Bilty, this quaint spot is like eating in a shire cabin. Request to be seated in the main room near the fire place.

RENO
    Great Beer Selection:
    Craft - http://www.craftreno.net/
    A beer store and pour house with a large walk-in cooler with over a 100 beers to choose from. They usually have some good wines at the bar, plus they let you bring in your own food and have a cigar bench outsite.

Brewery/Pub:
    Brasserie St. James - http://brasseriesaintjames.com/
    Solid brews plus an upscale pub menu. Try the "portobello fries". Great venue with a massive rooftop deck, too.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

FYI, friend of mine is opening a brewery/pub in Incline. Should be open by Thanksgivingish:

https://www.facebook.com/AlibiAleWorks/info

Yet a few more grub suggestions...

TRUCKEE
    Deli - Full Belly Deli http://www.fullbellydelitruckee.com/
    Kinda pricey (veggie sammy is close to $10) and rather off the beaten path (tucked rather out of the way in an industrial complex outside of town), but really local in terms of ownership and patrons. Sammys are HUGE, though, and hella tasty. They bake their own bread, too (jalapeno/cheddar, asiago, and several others).

Also, while I haven't been to either yet, several local compadres of mine recommend the following eats:

TAHOE CITY
    Mo's BBQ - http://www.moesoriginalbbq.com/lo/tahoecity/

INCLINE
    Mofos - http://www.mofospizzaandpasta.com/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en