Tahoe pass options coming from East Bay

Background:

Relatively new to the Bay Area (~2 years) and finally digging out from the multiple small children bunker. It looks like this will be the first year in a while that I'll have the time and $ to splurge on a pass. I haven't skied much at all up at Tahoe, just a few days at Northstar, so I don't know any of the areas at all. My priorities are typical: good terrain, good snow, minimize crowds, minimize driving pain, and minimize $ (though willing to spend what I need to). I'll also be bringing along a 6 year old a lot of the time (and occasionally 2 x 4 year olds) if that makes a difference -- good/cheap ski school would be good, but I imagine there's not a ton of variation. The vast majority of time will be day trips on weekends, but we'll be able to use friends' ski lease periodically in North Lake (not sure exactly where).

Question:

What would you suggest is the best course of action? I was leaning towards the Silver Squaw/Alpine pass, but now I'm thinking the Sugar Bowl slightly restricted pass might be a better idea. Is the terrain at Sugar Bowl enough to entertain consistently? That sounds rich coming from a former Bogus Basin pass holder, so maybe that answers my question right there, but I don't want to always be wishing I were skiing somewhere else. The Sugar Bowl pass does come with a few Squaw/Alpine tickets, and vice versa, but the Sugar Bowl pass is meaningfully less $. I haven't seriously considered other options at this point, but that's borne out of unfamiliarity and not preference -- would Kirkwood be the way to go?

Anyway, any input is appreciated and thanks in advance.

If I was coming from the bay area and mostly doing day trips I would go with the Sugar Bowl pass. Save some driving time, some change, check out the other resorts during the year and find out where you really want to be.

I switched from Squalpine Silver to Sugarbowl Slightly Restricted this year. For your situation, not a bad way to go. Definitely less crowded than Squaw and Alpine on powder days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Arrow Da Skee Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by stash View Post
    ...minimize driving pain, and minimize $...The vast majority of time will be day trips on weekends...What would you suggest is the best course of action?...
    Use the BayAreaSkiBus. http://www.bayareaskibus.com/

That way you can sample pretty much all of the Tahoe Resorts. They also run "Family" buses for going up with your kids.

You can buy the 8-Pack up front for the price of 6 trips. (Also have a "Season Pass" for every Saturday - 20 trips)

Seems spendy compared to reg Season Passes, but No driving, No gas. No Parking.
    Sleep on way up, watch Movie & drink/eat on way back.

Also, if the destination Resort is closed/wind hold/only few lifts running, the bus gets re-routed to a better option. No Pass Hassles.

I might be able to get you some discount (not sure). PM me if you want any more details.

Whereabouts in the E.Bay??

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Definitely Sugar Bowl or Squawlpine.

In general, with all of the major resorts and paying for ski school for kids, you're screwed. They're all expensive as hell.

In addition to the prior advice, If you're doing weekend trips with kids, mebbe consider staying cheap in Reno and hitting Mt Rose

Coming from Bogus, you won't be disappointed with any of those options, especially if it snows. Day tripping w/kids I'd probably do Sugar Bowl or the bus.
    Eventually you'll have to get a Squawpine, cause it's one the the best resorts in North America.

A good question is whether or not you really have the time to go or the flexibility to make time to go. While a pass seems like a guarantee that you will make use of the money, you may be better off buying the six pack at skilaketahoe.com and deciding where you want to spend you money next season. That way, you can purchase your pass early next year and save more money.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

Get the Granlibakken pass. Shred the gnar.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Sugarbowl is a great hill with really, really fun pow day options. I spent many seasons with young kids on that hill and was never bored or disappointed.

The time you save on the drive from the Bay is huge, especially not having to deal with the east side of Donner Pass in snow or holiday conditions. Ski school and ski team are both great and the access to sidecountry skiing is some of the best in the area. The only downside is it lacks good groomer options for desperate no or low snow conditions but IMO, it's a trade worth making.

Thanks for all the input. While Granlibakken looks really tempting and a good fit for my leisure-oriented lifestyle, it feels like Sugar Bowl is the clear leader. If I didn't have the kids, I'd definitely think more seriously about the 6 pack, but I think there's a lot of value in getting to know a place and dialing in a good routine.

Hope to see some maggots up there this winter!

Not to hijack, but thanks for info about those 6 packs. Sounds like it could be a fairly cheap weeklong vaca from San Diego.

Sugarbowl has the best Bloddy marys.

@jtran10, be careful with blackout dates and whatnot. There may even be rules about how many you can use per week. This stuff changes year to year.
    Someone once told me that I ski like a Scandinavian angel.

80 versus 50

Quote Originally Posted by mikemcee View Post
    ...The time you save on the drive from the Bay is huge...
    For similar reason, you should check out Sierra, South of the Lake.
    http://www.sierraattahoe.com/lessons-rentals
    Some folks on here prefer going up 50 to going up 80, as there are less trucks spinning out & closing the road, in Winter Conditions.
    Also they have cheap learn-to-ski programs & Daycare, and their Pass is pretty cheap...

But for Sierra you have to love Tree-Skiing. We like this place a lot.
    Not really any long steeps, but some short ones outside the BC Gates.
    Yes, they have a controlled sidecountry area.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by jcolingham View Post
    @jtran10, be careful with blackout dates and whatnot. There may even be rules about how many you can use per week. This stuff changes year to year.
    Thx for the heads up. Will definitely read closely if we purchase.