Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    SUP's are good. I live on the coast of Maine so maybe I'm biased because we have great places to use them.

And I can't wait to put a front shock on my fat bike.

I currently don't speak zip line

Went zip lining with the fam last year. It was good to get the old folks doing something that they felt was exciting, but yeah, it was pretty boring.

SUP can be pretty good for a few things. Great for exploring back in some really cool nooks and crannies at Lake Powell.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    My first kid is coming soon. I recon I better learn to enjoy this sort of thing. One of the reasons my parents got divorced was my father's inability to enjoy family vacations (including skiing). Something else for me to worry about. I hope my boy likes fishing. Cheap fun with no crowds.
    Get them involved early in the stuff you love and they'll likely love it as well. My wife and I made the decision years ago to forgo other expenses and spend the money on skiing & diving instead. Both my kids, now 11 & 13, have been skiing since 3 and they absolutely love it. They also now are certified divers and love bodysurfing - pretty much my three favorite activities.

Went zipping with the kids for the birthday this summer for the first time. Don't need to do it again. Being adrenalin junkies, they were equally as unimpressed.

Several years ago, we went Bluefin tuna fishing off of Hatteras. 55' Hatteras, heavy seas. Would find monster schools of Bluefin. They sat us in a chair, strapped us down, gave us a rod about the size of a broom handle with line about 1/8" in diameter. Hook was about a 15/0. They chummed up the fish to the back of the boat. Mate hooked up a bait, stripped off about 30' of line, looked around and said are you ready, then chunked in the bait. You sat in the chair and pumped the fish for about 20 minutes, to take a quick look at a 500 plus pound fish before it was released. We got 29 one day and 32 the next. 6 of us on the boat. By the end of the day, it was, "You want it? No man, I'll pass. You want it, Pass. You? Pass. After day 2, we finally got the captain to break out some lightweight spinning tackle and go after 25lb yellowfins.

Hate to say it but catching 500 pound fish became boring as shit. No skill, just work. Not quite an equal to zipping, but close.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Ziplines are the horizonal version of bungie jumping. The local outfitter has settled out of court twice now with their system. There was no flesh eating bacteria involved.

SUP is about being on the water even if its less efficient than other modes. With most folks living on the coasts or near water its another chance to get a work out and enjoy nature.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Look up-thread. I went once, in an awesome place. Started on the top of an island mountain and ended up after 15 stages on a beautiful beach with tasty drinks. Some were steep and fast, others long and slow through a canopy filled with Macaws and Iguanas. Some were high off the ground, others barely skimming rocks and cliffs. I went with my Wife and kids, and yes - it was fun as hell.
    This does sound awesome. I'd do it. I think ziplining with a purpose or in the backyard would be cool. I just can't see paying for a slow speed ride to nowhere. Boring.

Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    All this shit is what you make of it.
    If you are boring whatever you do will be boring, if you like to have fun and test yourself, well then the world is your erster.

Super sick. This is what I am talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    good luck with that cheap entry $ wise perhaps, but incredibly time intensive. Waiting for the right wind strength & direction to learn, then once you actually get good enough you wait for the wind to be strong enough to be bothered. Do you live on the ocean? If not then don't bother.
    Yeah no ocean within a thousand miles or so but we do get some really decent winds on occasion in the spring and fall around here and locally we have a couple places where I see people doing it. Definitely not something you can do in later July or August when the wind dies. Probably marginal at best but I bet I could learn the sport here.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    ^So true... I want to make a zip line with a couple loop the loops...

I still windsurf, but it takes 20-25 knots to get me excited, so not all that often. Kiteboarding is definitely taking over, but I'm not about to buy more shit... to sit in my garage, too. I'd buy a SUP before a kiteboard.
    When I was a kid my dad bought one for the family. I did it a lot till from the time I got my license till I was 18 or 19. I pretty much wrecked the piece of shit that he bought us though and it was a low wind sail with a pretty big board. I'd really like to have one again. Maybe I'll just buy one of those again.

Lots of good thoughtful replies in this thread. Thanks guys!

Zipline = lame

Causes traffic jams on I-70 in RADo now because they put one right next to the highway and all the mouth breathers slow down to watch. Yeah, really fucking cool guys.

A friend paddles her SUP in Monterey Bay. gets up close and personal with seals, otters, the occasional whale. she'll paddle 10 or 20 miles on a downwind course, then get picked up.

Maybe the OP thinks that's lame. But then again, he's, presumably, a skier.

SUP is cool for some things. Rented them in TCI a couple weeks ago, and the elevated viewing position was the shit for the mangroves. My daughter got this pic from a turtle I spotted:
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    A friend paddles her SUP in Monterey Bay. gets up close and personal with seals, otters, the occasional whale. she'll paddle 10 or 20 miles on a downwind course, then get picked up.

Maybe the OP thinks that's lame. But then again, he's, presumably, a skier.
    Nah. I'm warming to SUP and am a fan of lazy float trips.