Trails near McKenzie River

Is there anything worth riding near Vida other than the McKenzie River Trail? I'm heading down for the weekend with family and could sneak out for a ride, but finagling a shuttle so I can dodge holiday weekend hikers on the MRT doesn't sound all that fun.

From Vida, I think Oakridge is closer/quicker drive than MRT TH @ Clear Lake...

Google maps says 50min to Clear Lake, 1:10 to Oakridge, or 1:20 to Sisters. I may end up just riding the lower mrt OAB - maybe the cooler weather will keep people away.

edit:

This looks interesting, in a coughing up lung chunks kind of way.
    Last edited by superstator; 08-27-2014 at 05:43 PM.

You are looking at minimum one hour to Clear Lake with all the summer tourons.

Lower McKenzie OAB makes sense if pressed for time, esp if you hit it relatively early before the shuttlers get that far down.

Ollalie Trail looks nasty. Never rode it but I've hunted back there and that ridge is freakin steep.

As a less intense alternative, consider a soak at Terwilliger Hot Springs after MRT ride. Turn off 126 at Couger Reservoir. http://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/willa...ea/?recid=4391

Thanks - I'll give a report if I end up doing Ollalie. How was the hunting in there? I did a west side hunt once when we missed our draw in Sled Springs, and vowed never again.

jealous!
    not aware of anything closer in and more interesting than mrt in those parts, oakridge just gets further out, mercantile shop may know of some other options and have current trail conditions/closures also

+1 for springs

Deer were plentiful when I hunted there - in the 1960's & 70's. But it was rugged work and short shots thru trees and brush. Scopes = worthless most of the time.

FYI - there's a pretty big fire near Oakridge right now - big enough that the smoke is eye-stinging in Sisters and peeps in S Bend could see the glow last night.