Page 361 of 385 FirstFirst ... 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 ... LastLast
Results 9,001 to 9,025 of 9618
    Spring of 22 by Seattle tank service.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    When was that done ? I can't imagine ANYONE showing up for ANYTHING in Seattle for $1k and filing proper decommission DEQ paperwork for an oil tank.

We had our oil tank decommissioned in Seattle via foam fill in 2018 for $800. Received a nice rebate to switch to Mitsubishi cold climate heat pump that works great with no backup.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    When was that done ? I can't imagine ANYONE showing up for ANYTHING in Seattle for $1k and filing proper decommission DEQ paperwork for an oil tank.
    Our was $1,099 including tax and permit in fall of 2022 in Seattle. They filled it with foam.

We have a 2.5 ton Fujitsu inverter style heat pump that heats and cools our 1,800sf house nicely. No heating strips or backup heat are needed. It also cost a lot less than the Mitsubishi system.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around home heating oil tanks buried in the ground??? That was actually a thing???

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around home heating oil tanks buried in the ground??? That was actually a thing???
    Still is. My propane tank is also buried in the ground.

Also try and wrap your head around homes with no basements. Add to list list gas stations with underground tanks...like all of them! And single use plastic, lithium mining, gas guzzling person vehicles rolling around empty with one person in them.

Is that enough for today?

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Our was $1,099 including tax and permit in fall of 2022 in Seattle. They filled it with foam.

We have a 2.5 ton Fujitsu inverter style heat pump that heats and cools our 1,800sf house nicely. No heating strips or backup heat are needed. It also cost a lot less than the Mitsubishi system.
    Did that include any sort of testing to show no leak or contamination in the ground ? How big of a tank ? Just curious because my understanding was it is quite a bit more for the certification and procedure around here.
    Do you have a stand alone air exchanger that connects to central ducting or separate wall mount units ? What is your monthly electrical bill for heating ?

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Also try and wrap your head around homes with no basements. Add to list list gas stations with underground tanks...like all of them! And single use plastic, lithium mining, gas guzzling person vehicles rolling around empty with one person in them.

Is that enough for today?
    Underground gas tanks are thing here. I am familiar with what a LUST is. And MBTE plumes. I had just never heard of home heating oil buried in the ground. It was always in the basement. D'oh!

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Still is. My propane tank is also buried in the ground.
    Wow. Never saw that here.

Wow. Never saw that here.
    When we lived in the Santa Cruz mountains, the propane tanks were owned by the propane companies and above ground. Here they belong to the homeowner and are usually buried, especially with new construction.

Our oil tank in Detroit was in the basement, in the room that had a coal chute.

I still find coal in walls in old storage areas of basements. Sometimes old abandoned octopus furnaces, too.

We had an abandoned in ground oil tank at one home. Did a DSS on that sucker with a friend's backhoe - "dig, smash, and shut up".

Yes

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bigtank.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	476433

Yep mine is underground. My wife likes to back the car into the fuel filler port.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Art Shirk View Post
    Yep mine is underground. My wife likes to back the car into the fuel filler port.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    There's a thread for that

There was a recently unused oil tank in our basement when we bought the place. In hindsight we should have made removal a part of the sale. We were newbs. It didn't cause us any real problems, it was just annoying. Ten years later a contractor doing a project on our house took it away to make a barbeque pit. Apparently that's a thing. The laws have changed in the last 20 years and it would never fly today letting a sale go through with that tank there. The amusing part of the story is neighbor #1 called for an oil delivery and never got it, so he called for another one. An irate delivery guy pounded on my door saying my tank was full, why did I call for more??? I said I don't use oil. The street numbers do a strange thing on my block and nobody can find the neighbor behind me. So they had to pump my tank out for free, with a mix of nice fresh oil and old sludge. The kicker is the delivery company is owned by a company owned by neighbor #2. Those neighbors were sore when the previous owner of my house converted to natural gas. I sure as heck wasn't going to convert back.

LOL my wife sold a place with an old barrel of Sodium Cyanide in the basement.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I have to replace a ceiling fan today for a tenant in my GFs townhouse. I have done these before but for a simple single switch one. The old one currently hanging is controlled by two dimmer switches on the wall. One slider for the light, and one 3-speed slider for the fan. I assume I can figure out the wiring, but is there a concern that the fan my GF bought to replace it won't have the right wiring or something? My amateur assumption is a ceiling fan is a ceiling fan and any new one should be able to accommodate the current wiring setup. Yes, no?

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

[deleted]

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    I have to replace a ceiling fan today for a tenant in my GFs townhouse. I have done these before but for a simple single switch one. The old one currently hanging is controlled by two dimmer switches on the wall. One slider for the light, and one 3-speed slider for the fan. I assume I can figure out the wiring, but is there a concern that the fan my GF bought to replace it won't have the right wiring or something? My amateur assumption is a ceiling fan is a ceiling fan and any new one should be able to accommodate the current wiring setup. Yes, no?
    We have two kinds of ceiling fans--one kind is powered by a single wall switch and the fan speed and the light on/off by pull chains on the fixture. The other is powered by a single wall switch and the fan speed and light on/off by a wireless remote. IOW, there are different kinds of ceiling fans. I think you need to do some research.

Too late to help. Assuming you did it already. But yeah. You got one wire for fan and one wire for light. Delete the pull chains on the new unit (once you make sure fan is highest speed and light is on) . Mark the wires when you remove. Put light and fan wires back where they were wired.

An inductive tick tracer is your friend if the old wiring isn’t obvious.
    . After removing fan, turn the power back on and you can find out which wire is which with the tracer. and rewire appropriately.
    Ideally the fan is red. The light is black. But it’s also possible they are both black.
    PS. If you do electrical without a tick tracer you should die.
    Wife was up my ass about an undercounter light not working. Detected no voltage on the fixture. Removed the switch cover. Had voltage in. No voltage out. Fucking bad switch. 5 years old. Wtf. Anyways. That less than ten dollar tool saved me a lot of time and head scratching. Not to mention it’s a great last check for live circuits before you bare hand any wiring.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Got it done and guessed which wire was for fan and which was for light. Guessed wrong. Easier to swap them in the wall switch then pull the fan apart. I always use a voltage tester and then still just assume everything is hot anyway.

Wow, dump fees are high nowadays! Wife and I just took a load of around 1,700 lbs to the transfer station and it was almost $150.

Got it done and guessed which wire was for fan and which was for light. Guessed wrong. Easier to swap them in the wall switch then pull the fan apart. I always use a voltage tester and then still just assume everything is hot anyway.
    Ha, did way worse once. Shitty lazy roofer installed vent fan that only turned on with sunlight. Long story short, that wasn't gonna cut it, so I went into the attic, installed a new box to give the fan full time electricity, spliced off some random wire only to learn that wire was part a 3 switch group for the hall lights. So now I have to have the switches in the right combo to run the attic fan OR I have to go back into the attic and live through that hour of hell all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Wow, dump fees are high nowadays! Wife and I just took a load of around 1,700 lbs to the transfer station and it was almost $150.
    FWIW, there are two dump locations equidistant from my house:WM and municipal (Portland Metro). WM is at least 2 times more expensive.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Just regular garbage? Wow

I remember getting charge $30 to dump a twin mattress a few years ago and realized why so many are on the side of the road. I think CA banned dump charges for mattresses shortly after that