Page 370 of 385 FirstFirst ... 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 ... LastLast
Results 9,226 to 9,250 of 9618
    zzz i have that same plug you posted originally at work to start a server, do backups and then turn off for the week. Works great, dead simple. Put it on a daily 23 hour 55 minute schedule/

Quote Originally Posted by NBABUCKS1 View Post
    zzz i have that same plug you posted originally at work to start a server, do backups and then turn off for the week. Works great, dead simple. Put it on a daily 23 hour 55 minute schedule/
    Awesome thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    So the idea for this plug is for it to restart the modem/router. I have internet that needs to be restarted somewhat frequently and until I do I can’t access the ring cams or see and control the heat in the house. So I was thinking if I could just have the plug turn off once a week for a few minutes, that may do the trick. Anything that can be programmed like that?
    Gosh, this sounds like you have a separate issue. Does the Internet truly need to be restarted? Or can you upgrade your hardware?

I ask because I thought the same thing about my internet for years, but then switched to newer Asus routers, and no more issues.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

I wonder if a smart plug that relies on a WiFi signal will be reliable if your internet isn’t reliable.

I restart my internet once in a never, on average. I think you should fix your problem.
    focus.

You could probably find a dumb Christmas light timer that does the same thing FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    You could probably find a dumb Christmas light timer that does the same thing FWIW
    This.

FWIW, no reason to bother with a smart timer switch to power cycle a router. I just use a little lamp timer from the 'Depo. Turns off every day @ 2:59PM, back on at 3:00PM. Not that there's anything wrong with the Kasa smart switch, I probably have at least 10 of them around the house, I just think it's a bit overkill for what you're trying to do. I also don't think there's a router worth a shit out there. I've tried Linksys, Netgear, TP-Link and currently, ASUS. Each one fucking sucks, but I also typically have anywhere from 50-60, mostly iot, devices connected at any one time.... so there's that.

I’ve had good experiences with my Eero Mesh, and it’s what I recommend when boomers ask what they should get.
    focus.

Ok, so dumb question as I am not an IT guy, is it the modem or the router that typically causes this problem? I always assumed it was the small, rural ISP that had frequent outages, but maybe not. I have some eero stuff laying around that I could use if that would help. Also, I think whatever equipment we have was supplied by the ISP, can I switch that stuff out no problem?

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Ok, so dumb question as I am not an IT guy, is it the modem or the router that typically causes this problem? I always assumed it was the small, rural ISP that had frequent outages, but maybe not. I have some eero stuff laying around that I could use if that would help. Also, I think whatever equipment we have was supplied by the ISP, can I switch that stuff out no problem?
    Edit: my wife thinks that the modem and router provided by the isp are one package. Sorry, don’t know why I quoted myself.

It could be either. Next time it goes out leave your modem alone and reboot the router. If everything comes back up it’s probably the router. If not, reboot the modem and not the router and see what happens.

Your ISP should be able to keep you online in the days of remote work. They should at least get you a new modem if that seems to be a problem.

And yeah, the wireless router they ship you can be upgraded if you have an upgrade. Not saying the Eero is amazing or anything, but it’s been stable for me and I like it when people who call me for tech support have it because they seem to stop calling. Your anecdotal experience may vary.
    focus.

Edit: my wife thinks that the modem and router provided by the isp are one package. Sorry, don’t know why I quoted myself.
    If there's one box, the router and modem are combined. Two boxes, separate. In my experience new routers are like new phones. They never quite live up to their advertised expectations. I usually have to reboot my modem once a month. The router, every day or so. I'm always up to date in my firmware on both and they're pretty high end items. I've come to accept that I have a lot of devices and we're all just beta testers these days.

FWIW, I've had good luck with the Wirecutter-recommended routers in two separate houses, a couple of years apart, with non-technical people also using them. We don't have 50+ iot devices, though.

If you actually want to try to solve the stability issue and don't have backup power for the modem and router, I'd consider that. A moderate-sized UPS takes that variable out of the stability equation.

If you really don't give a damn about a few minutes of downtime daily, the light timer sounds like a reasonable idea.

If you want a really expensive workaround, I think some companies (including ubiquity) offer smart power devices that will restart if they can't connect to the Internet. But the light timer sounds simpler and it's definitely cheaper.

Call your provider and have them send you a new device.

Better yet - if you can (depending on your ISP) - return the device and buy your own modem and router. It will be cheaper (no rental fee) in the long run, and often the ISP provided modem / router combos aren’t giving you the best speed / coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Move to Truckee--the whole house gets power cycled every time it storms.

Honest for routers, go ubiquiti dream router. My Netgear constantly fucks up. Also get a UPS for the power blips so it doesn't reset as you switch to generator.
    I bought my modem and it's still going strong many years later.

You could also have the ISP check the connection. I was having dropped Internet service that I thought was a modem/router problem for a long time. Resetting the modem/router would solve the problem temporarily so I assumed that was it. Finally got a tech from the ISP to come out and he ran some tests on the physical connection and I was getting a poor connection. He replaced a couple fittings on the line and all has been good since then. He was shocked I was even getting an intermittent connection given how bad the signal was.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey Schaefer View Post
    You could also have the ISP check the connection. I was having dropped Internet service that I thought was a modem/router problem for a long time. Resetting the modem/router would solve the problem temporarily so I assumed that was it. Finally got a tech from the ISP to come out and he ran some tests on the physical connection and I was getting a poor connection. He replaced a couple fittings on the line and all has been good since then. He was shocked I was even getting an intermittent connection given how bad the signal was.
    This is a good point, I may do that. It's random enough that it could be connection.
    I'm going to try the $6 lamp timer plug for now, my wife seems to think that fiber may be coming that way at some point soon, so I don't want to change out too much hardware yet.

This is a good point, I may do that. It's random enough that it could be connection.
    I'm going to try the $6 lamp timer plug for now, my wife seems to think that fiber may be coming that way at some point soon, so I don't want to change out too much hardware yet.
    Is this at you TV house?

Once you do get fiber, you can plug the ethernet cable directly into your Eero and stop using the Silverstar provided modem/ router thing. The fiber at my house is very reliable- it has only gone down once or twice in more than three years.

Home Remodel: Do, Don'ts, Advice

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Honest for routers, go ubiquiti dream router. My Netgear constantly fucks up. Also get a UPS for the power blips so it doesn't reset as you switch to generator.
    I bought my modem and it's still going strong many years later.
    if you’re getting the ups anyway, why not look at a dream machine and an access point or two?

you’re already tied in to a rack and some place to put it, might as well make use of the whole ecosystem?
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 01-19-2024 at 12:32 PM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    if you’re getting the ups anyway, why not look at a dream machine and an access point or two?

you’re already tied in to a rack and some place to put it, might as well make use of the whole ecosystem?
    Dream router is not a rackmount. I just have a random UPS that is just for modem/router as it takes 2-3 minutes for them to reset when the power blinks and my generator has power back up in about 10 seconds.

ah, this is the one i have my eyes on:

https://store.ui.com/us/en/collectio...oducts/usp-rps

Speaking of bathroom remodels. Holy fuck did some contractors suck back in the day.

PS. Shockwave (or microban) kill that mold.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8941.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	539.6 KB 
ID:	483736

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8937.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	928.1 KB 
ID:	483737
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    Is this at you TV house?

Once you do get fiber, you can plug the ethernet cable directly into your Eero and stop using the Silverstar provided modem/ router thing. The fiber at my house is very reliable- it has only gone down once or twice in more than three years.
    Yes. I’m not as convinced as she is that fiber is coming anytime soon. We’re off the beaten path.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    ah, this is the one i have my eyes on:

https://store.ui.com/us/en/collectio...oducts/usp-rps
    Yeah, this is the router I got - https://store.ui.com/us/en/collectio...i-dream-router
    Was fantastic to setup and has a great admin UI.
    To expand, you just use these: https://store.ui.com/us/en/pro/categ...ts/u6-extender
    Takes all of about 10 seconds to adopt it in the UI.

i think i’ll do the dream router for my parents deploy. two poe should be good enough for the doorbell and one camera to keep an eye on things. it’s a bargain.