Page 354 of 385 FirstFirst ... 349 350 351 352 353 354 355 356 357 358 359 ... LastLast
Results 8,826 to 8,850 of 9618
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    That is almost $1500 a hole for small (I'm guessing) vinyl windows. I think that is expensive but I think everything is expensive and I'm a contractor. Do you have a local window shop that could at least ballpark the cost of a unit for you?

Kick the tires on the scope of work and see if it passes the smell test? Respect the contractors time and don't use his measurements against him (I fire you for that) but I think I'd be price shopping a bit.
    Yep. Super spendy.
    But if it’s new construction windows with inside and outside trim painted? Maybe.

If your home and neighborhood doesn’t justify it I’d consider replacement windows diy. It ain’t hard. My last house I did that. Got down to 30 minutes per window.
    Current house? New construction. And trim. And paint. Uggh. Not cheap. But the house demands it.

And yes. Windows are worth it. If you have wood sash dh with triple track storms it’s amazing how much more cozy your house is. With drafty windows you need to crank the thermostat.

PS. Fuck the argon fill. But definitely do lowE

I think fastfred did $250K in windows on one job. I think anything under $100K would be a bargain.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

This safe vault world coming to an end thing needs to go. I don't know if any rebar or wire mesh is in the concrete. How would you approach tearing this down? I don't know where to begin. Hammer drill holes and sledge it or rent a jackhammer. The jackhammer on vert walls a pia? Maybe not...idk.

I think it's pretty cool.

Just rent a small chipping hammer. It will be <$50 day. Go from the top down wherever possible. Be patient and try and bust off big pieces. It is a bit of an art. If bar, cut with a grinder as needed. If remesh, cut with bolt cutters.

$250k is nothing for a window pack on some of these homes. Lots of steel and curtain wall is all the rage now. I've seen a $million cabinet pack. Its gross.

That’s gunna suck. That box is encased. But yeah a rotohammer and a chipping bit.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Want to paint the garage walls so the floor needs to be freshen up too. It has a coat of something already on it with couple of large (one square foot) areas chipped. What the right way to paint that kind floor?

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    This safe vault world coming to an end thing needs to go. I don't know if any rebar or wire mesh is in the concrete. How would you approach tearing this down? I don't know where to begin. Hammer drill holes and sledge it or rent a jackhammer. The jackhammer on vert walls a pia? Maybe not...idk.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    I think it's pretty cool.
    Yep.
    Keep it as is.
    Cool af.
    Delete doesn’t get you much more space.

And it’s a great location for dried foods and zombie guns.

And when the zombies come (and they will) you'll be kicking yourself for not keeping it.

As a teenager, I lived in an 1890's house with a walk-in safe in the basement. It also had a dumbwaiter and root cellar. It probably had ghosts too.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Yep.
    Keep it as is.
    Cool af.
    Delete doesn’t get you much more space.

And it’s a great location for dried foods and zombie guns.
    Yeah, no. My bikes will be hanging in that space. Safes are dumb. Wtf good are they in this century? My bitcoin doesn't go there!

And when the zombies come (and they will) you'll be kicking yourself for not keeping it.

As a teenager, I lived in an 1890's house with a walk-in safe in the basement. It also had a dumbwaiter and root cellar. It probably had ghosts too.
    I'd really like to turn one of my crawlspaces into a walk-in root/wine cellar.

Turn it into a urinal

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Turn it into a urinal
    in-house groover?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'd really like to turn one of my crawlspaces into a walk-in root/wine cellar.
    You can certainly feel the humidity level change walking into a room with a dirt floor which I guess is perfect for storing certain things. There were oak beams with hooks which I guess they used to hang cured meats from as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Want to paint the garage walls so the floor needs to be freshen up too. It has a coat of something already on it with couple of large (one square foot) areas chipped. What the right way to paint that kind floor?

If you never want to paint it again you have to do epoxy, but then you need to remove the paint first. Any paint store sells floor paint. Make sure to use a good degreaser first and don't use regular paint.

If you never want to paint it again you have to do epoxy, but then you need to remove the paint first. Any paint store sells floor paint. Make sure to use a good degreaser first and don't use regular paint.
    I'd say you should chisel up the stained concrete just to be sure. It would suck to have the epoxy not stick, I've replaced a few brewery floors with high grade epoxy cement and had it still come up because of contamination.

FYI Simple green works pretty well on oil stains in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    that looks miserable to break up - likely all rebar & wire mesh
    but maybe the only way

i see moisture separation sheets at the wall -- any chance it's just sitting under its own weight there?
    could a comealong move/drag it outside? then use engine hoist to load it onto a truck?
    2'^3 of conc @ 150#/cuft is +/- 1200# [but it's not solid, so maybe half that? 600#]

Jackstraw, don't miss out on the chance to lock it and post some pics on Reddit saying "Found this safe in my house, going to jackhammer it open!" People will go wild and you'll get imaginary Internet points through the roof, then you can jackhammer it open and reveal some empty beer bottles, or fake skeletal remains if you're feeling spicy

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    Jackstraw, don't miss out on the chance to lock it and post some pics on Reddit saying "Found this safe in my house, going to jackhammer it open!" People will go wild and you'll get imaginary Internet points through the roof, then you can jackhammer it open and reveal some empty beer bottles, or fake skeletal remains if you're feeling spicy
    Or one single gold coin with a note that says, "I told you I wouldn't take it all. You know where to find me."

Ha!

Starting to feel like I don't want to do this right now...or maybe pay someone to to do it. I've been going nonstop for 7 months with this move and am getting tired of projects.

If you never want to paint it again you have to keep it bare or ground concrete
    FIFY.

Let concrete be concrete.

You can certainly feel the humidity level change walking into a room with a dirt floor which I guess is perfect for storing certain things. There were oak beams with hooks which I guess they used to hang cured meats from as well.
    Name:  on-the-waterfront-dead-charley.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  64.5 KB

I'd also use it for curing meats and growing mushrooms.

We've got an honest to the gods root cellar. The hippies who built this place sunk one into the hillside, and it's good size - 8x10. It would be good for doing some light homesteading, but those years are past us, and I don't think we'll use it for anything.

Maybe the end of the world vault will stay...