Do-it-all Boot Advice Please Cochise/Quest.

So I have been skiing in a pair of salomons x-wave 10's since 2001. 26.0 punched at 5th met., been through many liners (intuition prowrap).

They time may have come to move on...sad but true, the sole at the heel and toes is really getting pretty worn and the flex is softened significantly.

I picked up a pair of 12/13 Cochise 120 26.0 at the end of the 12/13 season and skied them a bit with the prowrap from my Salomons.

Given the liner wasn't heat molded to the boot they actually skied really well. A little less precise than my X-Waves but that is to be expected with the liner and the fact the BSL is 4mm longer. So it was good enough to make me really buy into the fact that I can go to 1 pair of boots and get rid of my Garmont Radiums which I have always been disappointed of downhill.

Open to some suggestions, and yes I know you should try them on etc. etc. I used to fit boots, but just getting a starting reference. Where I am at is either Cochise 120 or Quest 130's in the 14/15 model.

I am fine on the width of the Cochise I have right now without a punch at the 5th met., so the newer model should be fine too, however I may be able to get down a shell size to a 25, then it might need a little stretch.

The Quest boot has the same width last, but also has the Salomon custom shell which allows that little stretch without a full punch. So that would likely work well too, Salomon's have always done me well. Has anyone had both these on their feet? Salomon Quest 120 BC 120 could be an option too.

Interested really in fit, how solid the walk model feels when locked, if the boot really feel like an acceptable ski every day boot (for reference the Cochise 120 does), and a nice progressive flex.

I only weight 155lbs so don't really need to go to the Cochise 130, and a bit worried the width might get too narrow.

Highly likely to get a pair of 14/15 Cochise 120's and give them a whorl unless I hear the Quest is a great option.

Note, only even looking at Salomon's as I understand they did the stand up thing and took care of TC to his satisfaction.

Cheers all.

The new Cochise boots have a wider toe box. The liner is also a huge improvement. I have the 130 Pro's, but same deal for the entire line. A lot of refinements and not just new colors on the same boots. The increased range of motion when in walk mode is welcome and very noticeable.

coshise walk mode is MUCH better then the quest. Larger ROM, and looser as well/

for fit the shells on the 12/13 vs 14/15 cochise are VERY similar, and lots of people are going down a shell size.

in any of the boots, I would replace liners with intuitions (lighter and warmer)

but MOST importantly, but what fits YOU the best

I don't think you can really compare the two fairly.

One is tech compatable and has a pretty decent walk mode, the other is heavy.
    I would never make custom fit a reason for buying unless you really need some complex or severe punches and grinds. A 5th punch is neither of those. My 14/15 cochise 120s are both punched on the fifth, and it took about 20 minutes to do both.
    The 2014/2015 Cochise is a better boot than the previous models.

Do they still run huge? (ie 27.5 = 320mm?)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

bsl is the same. Not sure on interior dimensions, but if anything I could size down.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I don't think you can really compare the two fairly.

One is tech compatable and has a pretty decent walk mode, the other is heavy.
    I would never make custom fit a reason for buying unless you really need some complex or severe punches and grinds. A 5th punch is neither of those. My 14/15 cochise 120s are both punched on the fifth, and it took about 20 minutes to do both.
    The 2014/2015 Cochise is a better boot than the previous models.
    I do believe the 120 is tech compatible too with a sole swap. Was unaware of the big weight difference. Does that translate to a big ski difference? Stiffer interface when is downhill setting?

My 11/12 Cochise have like a little "click" at the very start of the flex as the connection engages. Pretty much unnoticeable skiing though.

Cheers for the advice all.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Do they still run huge? (ie 27.5 = 320mm?)
    Yes, hence why I am thinking I can go from my 26 Solly at 306 to the 25 Cochise at 300.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    coshise walk mode is MUCH better then the quest. Larger ROM, and looser as well/

for fit the shells on the 12/13 vs 14/15 cochise are VERY similar, and lots of people are going down a shell size.

in any of the boots, I would replace liners with intuitions (lighter and warmer)

but MOST importantly, but what fits YOU the best
    Fit is definitely important, but I've found that if you go with Intuitions, as long as you get a reasonable-fitting boot, it'll work just fine. The stock liner in the Cochises definitely skis better than any Intuition that I've tried, but definitely is not as comfortable on longer days. I start out in the stock liner and move towards an Intuition ProTour liner as the snowpack stabilizes throughout the winter and I move to longer and more distant tours.

The Cochise is a killer boot. It definitely skis closer to an alpine boot than any other boot out there. Unless you're skiing some serious race-stock boots, or the Cochise doesn't fit you at all, the Cochise is right up there with any alpine boot you can buy. Honestly, it's no contest. If you throw a ProTour liner in there, it tours absolutely fantastic, as well. Definitely better than your Radiums - and most other boots on the market as well. For what you're asking - a do-it-all boot... you want the Cochise. It doesn't fit everyone's foot, but if it fits yours, the answer is a no-brainer, imo. Coming from a Salomon boot, I'd be surprised if it didn't fit your foot well. Pretty similar fits, in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    I do believe the 120 is tech compatible too with a sole swap. Was unaware of the big weight difference. Does that translate to a big ski difference? Stiffer interface when is downhill setting?

My 11/12 Cochise have like a little "click" at the very start of the flex as the connection engages. Pretty much unnoticeable skiing though.

Cheers for the advice all.
    Like you said, there's some noticable play at the very start of the flex, just like any walk-mode boot, and yes, very much unnoticable when skiing. Pretty much unnoticable? No.. not at all noticable when skiing. Very solid boot on the descent.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliBrit View Post
    Yes, hence why I am thinking I can go from my 26 Solly at 306 to the 25 Cochise at 300.
    While a different model, I went 26 Salomon (305) to 25 Cochise (300). For me, this worked well. In my experience, Intuition Liners can go a long ways towards helping out here, and have other benefits as well. There's always punching of the shell and cutting of the liner as well, if you want to ski the stock liner. Worked well for me, in other areas of the boot.

I recommend everyone downsize into a Cochise unless you're already really downsized in your present boot. I wear a size 12.5-13 shoe and wear a 28.5 r9.8 130 with a fair amount of toe grinding. I can wear a 28.5 Cochise with no length work done.

New toe box is less bullet shaped. There is more room for the big toe and especially the pinky toe. It also got a little more toe height. The shell was reshaped in the heal/ankle area and it has a slight navicular pre punch.

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    I wear a size 12.5-13 shoe and wear a 28.5 r9.8 130 with a fair amount of toe grinding. I can wear a 28.5 Cochise with no length work done.
    Care to do a quick comparo of the two (skiing-wise, fit has been well described)? Is it as simple as "r9.8 skis like a plug and Cochise skis like a pretty decent alpine boot w/a walk mode"? I went from a Diablo 130 to the OG Cochise - had some issue w/the Cochise and trying to decide which route to go now.

I have a pair of the original Cochise for sale. Use one season; both set of swappable soles. 27.5 w/ 320mm BSL.

Since this seems to be a thread where people are talking about the newer Cochise, I'll ask my question here. I've got a pair from two years ago. Running them with an Intuition PW with C pads around the ankles. Every time I loosen up the top buckles and put it into walk mode, whether I'm skinning or hiking, I get a huge blister on the inside of my heel. I'm wondering if the newly reshaped heel pocket would help with this?

This belongs here I think, or anywhere else that people are considering the specific boots mentioned...

http://powderbucket.com/t/dynafit-be...atibilitet/142
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by bern43 View Post
    Since this seems to be a thread where people are talking about the newer Cochise, I'll ask my question here. I've got a pair from two years ago. Running them with an Intuition PW with C pads around the ankles. Every time I loosen up the top buckles and put it into walk mode, whether I'm skinning or hiking, I get a huge blister on the inside of my heel. I'm wondering if the newly reshaped heel pocket would help with this?
    It might. The heel hold is more snug / better on the new version.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    It might. The heel hold is more snug / better on the new version.
    I was scared someone would say that. I really have no desire to buy another pair of boots. But those blisters every year are horrible and the boot fits really well otherwise.

I rode xwave for a while. Went to full tilt seth and never liked back. Excellent heel hold and the cabrio is so smooth on rocker skis. Tours pretty good too. Well hike to and side country, no true at for me. Anyway maybe look. Power wrap is best liner
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I rode the Bushwackers and the Cochise Pro Lights for awhile as my do it all inbounds/outbounds touring boots for a couple of seasons. Power wrap liner is the best if you're not going to do much hiking or touring, and even then it isn't that bad. I found that the lower shell of those two boots interacted with the lower folds on the power wrap a little bit oddly -- easy to trap the liner between the shell folds down there if not careful. This year I've decided to lean towards a fully rockered tech boot as my 'one' with all of the newer alpine/frame bindings out there that can support them.

If it fits your foot you might check out the BD Factor MX 130. Spent all last season on them and was impressed, I was coming from the Radium as well and about your size.