Thread: Tripods

Tripods

OK, so moving up from my Gorillapod. The most it will carry at present is my OMD EM10 + 12-40. In the future I could see getting the 75-300 or 300 F4

I'm looking at the Oben CT-2331 legs with a RRS BH25 LR and an EM10 L Plate

I'm looking to go light and relatively inexpensive. So no Gitzo legs for me.

Is there anything else I should consider? Does anyone have any experience with the BH25 or Oben legs?

Thanks

Ever shoot in sandy environments? If so be aware that the sand grains can get into, and scratch/lock the twist locks on legs. However, it's not a difficult fix.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012...of-your-tripod
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I have a 3 legged thing, but its the same tripod as the one at cowboy studio. Chinese carbon fiber with a decent ball head, pretty sturdy and a decent height. Hard to beat for $148. I have been happy with my 3 legged thing eddie, and if a deal hadn't been there on ebay I would have jumped on this thing. Link:

http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_...1%20tripod.htm

Sirui t-025x all the way. Love mine. Smallest, lightest, cheapest one I have found

I've had a super cheap Dolica tripod for a few years that has held up just fine. I think I paid 40 or 50 for it. I don't have the heaviest rig, so stability hasn't been too much of an issue for me.

I recently bought a Benro Versatile 2970F and a Siri K-20x Ball Head for my E-M10. I also have a cheaper Dolica that also works as a mono-pod. The Benro and Siri are a much more significant and stable set-up, but they are also a lot more money. One of the reasons that I got the Benro was the ability to tilt the center column for close-ups and macros.

If you look at the locks of that Benro and the vast majority of cheaper Chinese legs, you will notice they are all exactly the same. Made in the same factory with different logos on the locks. If you go with one of these, get the cheapest one. I've played around with most of them. I personally have been very happy with my HorusBennu carbon travel tripod (not the one currently on their site) with a manfrotto mini ballhead for the RC2 plate. That lives on my backpack. Throw the backpack on the hook and the thing is stable in pretty high winds. For a beefier setup there are millions of options.

Brought to you by Carl's Jr.