Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Teton Lift

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Checking: is it still okay to hate on the lift up Kachina Peak at Taos?
    Yes, but your hatin' will have the same effect as OP's on-line petition idea...

Too bad though, the bootpack to Kachina weeds out a lot of Texicans and similar flatlanders

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Anyone who has a problem with this is just being a selfish pussy, specifically the ones who are using the front that people will get hurt.
    The pursuit of untracked powder is not an entirely selfless act.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Yes, but your hatin' will have the same effect as OP's on-line petition idea...
    I think the Kachina lift is just about finished. It'll be turning this season.

Too bad though, the bootpack to Kachina weeds out a lot of Texicans and similar flatlanders
    I know, right?

Quote Originally Posted by HVskier View Post
    The article mentions that it is questionable whether or not the course will be long enough for FIS approval
    last I heard fourteenth-hand it was only going to qualify for women's DH, or a men's SuperG.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    The lift is going to happen, shit changes, get over it.

My last few visits I was blown away by the traffic/crowds in and out of bounds. Spreading the crowds out with more lift accessed terrain makes sense from the resort management perspective.

They have to increase lift capacity or the crowds will kill the golden goose. Not every investment banker wants to hire a guide to cut lines and half the guides are already being booked by locals on big days anyway.

I don't think FIS will give Jackson a men's DH anyhow. They're guarded like hens teeth by the resorts that already have them and in North America, they have to be in early December.
    Racing's not really a draw here and it's not a money maker for the resort, but it does give a lot of European exposure. I think Jay will be thrilled even with the girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    last I heard fourteenth-hand it was only going to qualify for women's DH, or a men's SuperG.
    That's what andrew has heard as well, and jhmr alluded to it still being a bit short so that would make sense. having the ladies would still be super cool though!

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    They have to increase lift capacity or the crowds will kill the golden goose. Not every investment banker wants to hire a guide to cut lines and half the guides are already being booked by locals on big days anyway.
    IMHO the marketing folks have already done way too good of a job making this a very busy resort. More non-stop [subsidized] flights in, more hotel beds available, more VRBO's available, and a new 2% tax to market JH even more. More lifts on the same amount of terrain will just mean shorter lines, but the snow being skied-out even faster.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

i for one cannot wait to shred jackson again. the lift lines were fucking LONG last year
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    Done wrong this expansion could make Jackson Hole skiers moving up to Bridger Bowl. It has crossed my mind.
    The Moonlight acquisition already blew up Bridger. Plus, we already have our own, more-core-than-you, crusty, butthurt ridge locals. We're all full up here.

IMHO the marketing folks have already done way too good of a job making this a very busy resort. More non-stop [subsidized] flights in, more hotel beds available, more VRBO's available, and a new 2% tax to market JH even more. More lifts on the same amount of terrain will just mean shorter lines, but the snow being skied-out even faster.
    Turning the hour of powder into the 35 minutes of powder means nothing to management as long as the numbers are growing and the $ is rolling in.

shit is only like an hour of powder, people love fucking up the pow. boarders hoard that shit. Old fucks steal it
    Zone Controller

Turning the hour of powder into the 35 minutes of powder means nothing to management as long as the numbers are growing and the $ is rolling in.
    Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    shit is only like an hour of powder, people love fucking up the pow. boarders hoard that shit. Old fucks steal it
    Lot of people who think that they should be able to slay the pow but keep out everybody else. You don't have to be rich, or old, or a boarder to have a false sense of entitlement.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Lot of people who think that they should be able to slay the pow but keep out everybody else. You don't have to be rich, or old, or a boarder to have a false sense of entitlement.
    NIMBY's span a wide spectrum. Shit's going to change. If you don't like it, pack it up and head to Terrace. Go pioneer some shit and quit yer whining.

This is not at you og but those that you are talking about.

That's what we called it in the late 90's.

I know everyone around here is an 11/10 on the ol' skiing scale, but really how much of an issue is the whole gapers getting in over their head issue in Jackson?

I have skied at many places out west and Jackson three times all of them during a holiday week (Xmas, President's Day) when more gapers like me are going to be there. The average level of skier in JH is very high in my observation with far fewer lower-level skiers compared to what is seen in I-70 Colorado, Utah and most of the country.

I don't think JH attracts too many of the "balls-to-the wall 22-year-old guys from Dallas out for a week on their 4th ski trip ever and now its time to do some awesome stuff I see in the TGR movies so let's make sure I catch it on my GoPro crowd". They go other places, but maybe I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    if that's directed at my quote, i guess i wasn't clear. I don't feel i'm entitled to shit, nothing more than the next gaper. I just prefer powder to tracked, and have more trouble finding that at JHMR. Those that know the backcountry better than i do fare better. It just is what it is...

Powder: if you don't use it, you lose it.

Anyways, skiing crud and slop only improves your technique. Skiing untracked is simply a scarce bonus.
    Zone Controller

Increased flights? Oh yes.

http://www.jacksonhole.com/by-air.html

absofuckinglutely! That lift is far worse than the teton lift.

i for one cannot wait to shred jackson again. the lift lines were fucking LONG last year
    Well, maybe it help that problem. But all the powdah will still be over at the ghee.

Now is when I can look back and be glad I moved there in '89. ...except the closed bc part having to run from the patrol

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    absofuckinglutely! That lift is far worse than the teton lift.

Well, maybe it help that problem. But all the powdah will still be over at the ghee.

Now is when I can look back and be glad I moved there in '89. ...except the closed bc part having to run from the patrol
    I got one season with the boundaries still closed. It was awesome! There were rumors spread almost daily while the snow was falling that the sheriff was hanging out at the exit of Rock Springs giving out citations. I think it was all bs that the old timers were spreading, I never ran into anyone trying to bust rope duckers. We were heli skiing every day into Rock Springs. Some days 40k of vert.

So, the real question is will there be a reverse traverse from the top of the crags to the top of Casper bowl? Will they put up no uphill travel signs at the top of this lift? Will the boundary line move down to the top of the lift?

Will the lift ticket price increase?
    Zone Controller

I spent a few seasons in Jackson in the early/mid 90s (93/4 - 96/7) and still get back annually.

All the locals need to stop bitching/being worried about gapers and just settle down and put things in perspective. The resort is a business and makes money off of the tourist who come in on vacation and spend $1000s during their visit. Sure a few folks will get lost in Granite (no more than Rock Springs/4 Pines now) and if you are local and worth your merit, you will have little to no problem finding powder. This new lift will not impact you in the least bit. The new left, as well as the recent Marmot lift, provide the resort with a 'better lift service' play to attract more tourists as well as a WC event. There is plenty of terrain for gapers to get into trouble with our without this new lift. How much easier will access to Granite be then the already quick 15 min hike up Pepi's bench?

I remember the days when the BC was only open a hand full of days a season, thunder was a double and folks were poaching/ducking ropes to hit the BC...now that the boundaries are open, the resort is a better, safer place, offering the locals and those with knowledge, the opportunity to ski some of the finest lines in the lower 48 on a DAILY basis!!!!

Way back when, we would only get to ski Horseshoe couloir > Salad chutes > A,B, C a few times a year, not a few times a day. You sound like a bunch of spoiled kids crying on xmas cause santa didn't get you all the gifts you wanted....stop bitching and start skiing!

my 2 cents....
    Last edited by elevens; 08-30-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    why make ten turns when you only need to make NONE!

We were heli skiing every day into Rock Springs. Some days 40k of vert.

And servicing twenty virgins every night.

Ive heard from the horses mouth that US nationals are the goal not FIS. But a slalom set up on snowking and a super g on JH would be a hell of a weekend!