Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Teton Lift

As it pertains to the wc dh course, would this lift help at all? Isn't it less than the required vertical to the base from the proposed top of the lift? And why are the other 4139ft unhelpful for a wc dh course?
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

This is part of the master plan approved in 1990. More info in this old thread. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34699

Granite's been getting hammered on for years. There will be a short but steep hike from this lift to get up to mile long, and a traverse to get to the top of the air forces, but like someone said av puts you right at the ridge line and people don't venture back there very often. Plus, if you're not in decent shape the traverse out isn't worth the run down. Johnny sea level isn't going to be putting laps back there when he finds out its going to take him 2 hours to sidestep back and be sore the rest of his trip for a 4 minute run.

They say it will- who knows?
    It would be cool though

theyre putting tbar on traverse out. should be sweet

ill be there ripping it, sans backpack
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Maybe we could get Charlize Theron to do an audio warning at the gates....If you're going to go down there, you're going to die

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    Johnny sea level
    My name is Donny Sea Level, hoss.

there will be a ton of johhny butthurts when this pops off.

a lot of these core bros that will be upset are shit skiers, go figure
    Zone Controller

Anyone who has a problem with this is just being a selfish pussy, specifically the ones who are using the front that people will get hurt.

AV was already a 5 minute sidestep (20 to 30 minutes, you guys must be 400 pound Texans) and right on the ridge.

Besides anyone who has actually been back there knows that its never been hard to access, but the exit blows goats. Thats what minimizes the amount of people back there as it is.

But with any luck it will drive even more of the crusty locals to the pass and leave more untracked in bounds.
    Live Free or Die

Interesting read, thanks for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawless View Post
    This is part of the master plan approved in 1990. More info in this old thread. http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34699

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    theyre putting tbar on traverse out. should be sweet

ill be there ripping it, sans backpack
    Damn. I was really hoping they'd at least throw in one of these so I can literally do no work on the exit:

With a t-bar, my right knee/quad/gluts/back/hip/IT band/shoulder/brain/wrist/ball are still going to be completely fried by the time I get back to the base to rip Teewinot switch so the gapers know wuz up...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

I just hope it starts snowing again in Cali. The lift lines at JH last year were kinda Vail'ish during my visit and Granite was too dangerous to ski anyway for mortals and with all the snow there was no reason or sense to go off the backside to find powder especially for day ticket visitors.

When it is safe and dry Granite already gets pretty torn up by visitors and locals.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-27-2014 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Anyone who has a problem with this is just being a selfish pussy, specifically the ones who are using the front that people will get hurt.

AV was already a 5 minute sidestep (20 to 30 minutes, you guys must be 400 pound Texans) and right on the ridge.

Besides anyone who has actually been back there knows that its never been hard to access, but the exit blows goats. Thats what minimizes the amount of people back there as it is.

But with any luck it will drive even more of the crusty locals to the pass and leave more untracked in bounds.
    Completely agree. The kid who started the petition on FB only has one follow/like- I believe himself.

And the quote in all the articles "It's already so crowded back there" made me laugh. Really? Crowded? But like I said, I'm sure the crusties will be throwing their elitism around..."I was here blah blah blah many yrs ago" To that shit I want to say congrats for being born before other people.

Checking: is it still okay to hate on the lift up Kachina Peak at Taos?

This was pretty much the same discussion that was happening in 98/99 before the ropes were dropped. Instead of arguing that it's a bad idea because of gapers getting in over their heads maybe we should be asking why the fuck are Americans so quick to put themselves in dangerous positions but then pull the blame card on someone else. The lift is going to happen, shit changes, get over it.

My last few visits I was blown away by the traffic/crowds in and out of bounds. Spreading the crowds out with more lift accessed terrain makes sense from the resort management perspective. I would imagine that a new lift from the base is in the plans as well. I could see a high speed chair from the base to the bottom of the Sublette chair could move people out from the base area much faster in the morning. After my last two trips there I hope that something like that is in the works. Either way, skiing in Jackson isn't what it was 15 years ago, it's still good but now the secret is out and the crowds are coming.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Checking: is it still okay to hate on the lift up Kachina Peak at Taos?
    With no side country access I think it sure does for hiking happy locals. Looking at google earth it looks like there is some mighty fine touring from Kachina Peak. It might not be immediate side country stuff where you ski right back in and to a lift but it looks awesome for ski/skinning touring.

For steep alpine terrain that is how we have to do it here in Flagstaff. We leave the lift and sometimes aren't back at the bar for up to 8 hours. It's hard work but it sure ain't crowded!

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    With no side country access I think it sure does for hiking happy locals. Looking at google earth it looks like there is some mighty fine touring from Kachina Peak. It might not be immediate side country stuff where you ski right back in and to a lift but it looks awesome for ski/skinning touring.
    The boundary is closed. But you're right about the quality, and you could/can ski right back to a lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    The boundary is closed. But you're right about the quality, and you could/can ski right back to a lift.
    Closed because of tribe issues?

Closed because of tribe issues?
    No, it's Nat'l Forest wilderness. I think it's just too much hassle for everyone, meaning TSV and the FS. But it's just going there from the ski area boundary that's closed - you can skin in there any time you want and lots of people do. Most of the chutes and bowls back there have names and get skied.

Wait, which 3 ski areas are in National Parks?! I figured the number would be none. Did some get grandfathered in, or something?
    Not knowing the terrain at all, but thinking along the lines of Headwaters/A-Z chutes, and Slushman's, here in MT, it seems like the right thing to do would be to put in an old slow double with a lot of space between the chairs. I'm guessing that's a little low brow for JH.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

This was pretty much the same discussion that was happening in 98/99 before the ropes were dropped. Instead of arguing that it's a bad idea because of gapers getting in over their heads maybe we should be asking why the fuck are Americans so quick to put themselves in dangerous positions but then pull the blame card on someone else. The lift is going to happen, shit changes, get over it.

My last few visits I was blown away by the traffic/crowds in and out of bounds. Spreading the crowds out with more lift accessed terrain makes sense from the resort management perspective. I would imagine that a new lift from the base is in the plans as well. I could see a high speed chair from the base to the bottom of the Sublette chair could move people out from the base area much faster in the morning. After my last two trips there I hope that something like that is in the works. Either way, skiing in Jackson isn't what it was 15 years ago, it's still good but now the secret is out and the crowds are coming.
    Word on the street is Eagles Rest and Sweetwater to be replaced with a gondola. That should be a good move on busy mornings.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Wait, which 3 ski areas are in National Parks?! I figured the number would be none. Did some get grandfathered in, or something?
    I thought it was zero too, but Googled before talking out of my ass. According to Wikipedia, it's Badger Pass in Yosemite NP, Hurricane Ridge in Olympic NP, and Boston Mills/Brandywine in the Cuyahoga Valley NP. The first two appear on the respective NP webpages but the last one doesn't, so that one might be suspect.

As a Teton Pass/Teton Village skier, this will be interesting how it plays out. I can't wait to heckle the fools in Granite return traverse/sidestep or wanting to go into Granite.

I met a fool seeing I had bc gear in the gondola this winter saying "Where are sick zone Travis Rice slays?" Told him "You are not ready & just stay in the resort, you have no idea the backcountry is & slides can rip on even myself if not careful." To top it off he had no clue who Jeremy Jones was.

The lift is coming, I just want it done right so no locals are slid on by gapers. Granite is a dangerous canyon. I don't want a buddy of mine killed by some tool. Air Force & Double Dog Leg chutes are pretty scary at times in the wrong conditions.

It is bad enough seeing those idiots in Rock Springs. I bet next we'll have a tram to the top of Cody & the Four Pines Express.

Done wrong this expansion could make Jackson Hole skiers moving up to Bridger Bowl. It has crossed my mind.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    As it pertains to the wc dh course, would this lift help at all? Isn't it less than the required vertical to the base from the proposed top of the lift? And why are the other 4139ft unhelpful for a wc dh course?
    The article mentions that it is questionable whether or not the course will be long enough for FIS approval

That Sweetwater/Eagle's Rest rumor is true. Plans are for a Gondola with a mid station so beginners can get off, easing the strain on Teewinot chair which gets a fair amount of people are uber JONGs that fall on every turn.
    Always charging it in honor of Flyin' Ryan Hawks.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    As a Teton Pass/Teton Village skier, this will be interesting how it plays out. I can't wait to heckle the fools in Granite return traverse/sidestep or wanting to go into Granite.

I met a fool seeing I had bc gear in the gondola this winter saying "Where are sick zone Travis Rice slays?" Told him "You are not ready & just stay in the resort, you have no idea the backcountry is & slides can rip on even myself if not careful." To top it off he had no clue who Jeremy Jones was.

The lift is coming, I just want it done right so no locals are slid on by gapers. Granite is a dangerous canyon. I don't want a buddy of mine killed by some tool. Air Force & Double Dog Leg chutes are pretty scary at times in the wrong conditions.

It is bad enough seeing those idiots in Rock Springs. I bet next we'll have a tram to the top of Cody & the Four Pines Express.

Done wrong this expansion could make Jackson Hole skiers moving up to Bridger Bowl. It has crossed my mind.

fuck ya, bring me to the top of 4 shadows!!!

rock springs is about as tame as it gets, what the fuck are you complaining about?
    Zone Controller