Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    What are your feelings/views on back country skiing and risk before and after your accident this past winter? What's different for you before the accident to now?

For me this is an interesting topic going through my mid life crisis point and it's even more interesting coming from someone like you seeing the risks some are taking and being one recovering from a serious injury. Heal up man. It looks like things are going good from your fb posts.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    What are your feelings/views on back country skiing and risk before and after your accident this past winter? What's different for you before the accident to now?
    and....do you think it will influence the types of stories and the way they are told in TGR movies?
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Quote Originally Posted by wandr View Post
    I'm considering a career change- what are 3 things you would recommend to amateur filmmakers looking to get involved in your industry?

Thanks,
    --Mark
    A gun, a bullet and a bottle of bourbon.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Who is the easiest athlete to work with? Who is the hardest athlete to work with? And, does anyone make it look too easy, to the point where it doesn't work for film?
    Most of our athletes are great to work with. Once they've made this level hitting their makes is pretty automatic. While on location we work closely with the athletes on line selection and where they should ski.
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 08-29-2014 at 02:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    What are a couple of your all time favorite ski flicks that have inspired you or that you strive to achieve similar success?

And ofc, Hot Dog or Aspen Extreme?
    The North Face Presents Skiing Extreme III, and all the early Greg Stump films. I also really liked the TB 5 by Standard films.
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 08-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    What's that spot... you've been wanting to set up and it just hasn't happened?

What's the worst shot you've seen blown? Like, wow, that was the sickest line of the year.. and then over the radio.. uhoh... did he ski that already.. or, oh man, too bad this memory card is full, that would have been in the movie for sure.
    Missing shots happens every year, you hope that it doesn't happen on a unique line or jump. The worst ever for me was in Haines, AK with Nobis and Kreitler when a lens of mine broke and I didn't notice until the shoot was over. Huge bummer.
    Last edited by WaistDeepGroomers; 08-29-2014 at 02:59 PM.

DUNFEE!! Show him the reply with quote function!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Regarding dream shots every winter brings such a unique perspective with snow and light that you really never know what you are going to get. I'm definitely getting more into the foot powered thing so the mountaineering aspect is interesting to me.

Favourite ski resort?
    "4ply is so quiche"
    -Flowing Alpy

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k You Cat View Post
    Greg

Having survived an avalanche in Granite Canyon - what is your view on the new Teton Lift at JHMR and it's possible impact on sidecountry skiers heading into Granite for a quick lap?

Follow up - how long until moguls form in the Air Force chutes?

also trying to stay on top (of the snow)
    This is a tough one, I'm for development at the ski area, but I hate seeing people get hurt. If the top of the new lift has informative signage and is well managed I don't see that there will be much of a change in traffic. The secret of the dark side is out, there already are moguls. Fortunately I had an ABS backpack so I stayed on the surface during my slide last march.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Are the TGR movie target groups so shallow, trite and unimaginative that there's no value in producing a movie that tries to approximate an actual storyline with character development and a demiplot a la Blizzard Of Ahhs?

Is there some other reason?

(edit) OK, that's not true with some of the JJones films where these things play a role...
    With the limited time to turn a film around each year digging into a deep story line is very difficult. We have tried a few times, but always run of time to really refine the story. Additionally most of our audience wants to see skiing and snowboarding when they come to our annual film. With the Jeremy Jones trilogy and in the future we plan to have more story, and character based films

Quote Originally Posted by wandr View Post
    I'm considering a career change- what are 3 things you would recommend to amateur filmmakers looking to get involved in your industry?

Thanks,
    --Mark
    Stay in school
    Become a good writer
    Stay in school

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Hi Greg,
    I'm guessing you do a lot of shoots outdoors in the winter. How do you keep your hands warm? And can you recommend a good under the cuff ski glove?

Thanks.
    Hestra lobster claw leather gloves. If you snowboard I would suggest a mitten with Gore-tex in it.

Quote Originally Posted by sal the salmon View Post
    what editing software (for post production video) do u prefer?

how to protect your gear in extreme weather conditions?

where do you get your insurance for your gear?

how long were you broke before you were not broke?

can i have some of your old gear for free?

thanks.
    what editing software (for post production video) do u prefer? Adobe premiere

how to protect your gear in extreme weather conditions? We use FStop and Dakine camera pack. Dry your gear often.

where do you get your insurance for your gear? Look into an inland marine commercial policy

how long were you broke before you were not broke? Once I got a full time job life got much easier

can i have some of your old gear for free? We have some gear from the 80's you can have

Do you feel the current format of ski movies is getting a bit burned out? Where would you like to see it go in the next five years?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    What is it you look for when picking an athlete? I have a sneaking suspicion that skills are just half of the equation, if even that?
    Talent is 50%, attitude is another 40% and the business side is the final 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Question....can you believe that Dunfee compared you to Micah Black?
    Dunfee is a punk, but Micah is a legend in his own right.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaholic View Post
    I want to see Lars & Silas Chickering-Ayers brothers in TGR vids.
    We like those guys, but they are still busy crushing the Freeskiing comps. Perhaps one day.

In your opinion, was the 3D session the biggest waste of budget in the history of ski films?
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    I'm just here to say Epo is the man. But please mags, give him hell, because he seems to thrive on that shit!
    Congrats on the marriage!
    -Athan
    Thanks bud, how are you?

Thanks for not succumbing to the POV craze. I'd so much rather watch a good skier from any other prespective than their own.
    Drones?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    What's the "next big location nobody's heard of" that's in your permit pipeline?

What does the near-term look like for drone shoots? I work in news and my bosses are basically waiting for the FCC & FAA rules to come out before we even think of investing. Are you guys in the same boat, seeing that if it takes a couple more years for that to get worked out the tech will likely have changed from what's available today?

Logistically what was the hardest location to shoot in and why.

Are you interested in an almost 50yo assistant who has 2 decades of video experience (Shooting & LocSpecs) but no urge to shoot for TGR?
    We have our GSS C520 aerial system which allows us the get the very best images. Regarding drones we are looking but haven't pulled the trigger. I think the technology still has some iterations to go be for perfection. The FAA/FCC is another challenge. I see us buying a DJI to start practicing in the near future. Regarding shooting with TGR send your resume and reel along, we are always looking potential shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    so i have a question?
    are you related to Juan Epstein, a proud Puerto Rican Jew and a real good looking mommas boy? That cat was funny and sure gave Mr. Kotter the business.
    I wish I had as much clout as Juan

Quote Originally Posted by kailas View Post
    Where are you from, originally?
    Jackson, WY

Why so little shooting in the San Juans?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<