Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Eastern Sierra Guidebook

It has been five years since the first edition of "Backcountry Skiing California's Eastern Sierra" came out, and I imagine you've all skied everything in that book by now. So, if you've been waiting for some new material, that wait is over! Almost......

Pre-order is now available, and the books are scheduled to ship early November. For every book we sell on pre-order, I am personally matching a guaranteed one inch of snow, to fall on the Eastern Sierra between November and June, of the 14/15 winter season. If we sell 100 books, I will deliver 100 inches of snow. 200 books=200 inches. 500 books? You do the math.

So, it's up to you! Order here: http://wolverinepublishing.com/backc...-sierra-nevada

Here's the details:

This one is an expansion on the first edition. It'll cover the entire East Side, with 14 chapters:
    Lone Pine
    Independence
    Big Pine
    Bishop
    Pine Creek
    Rock Creek
    Mcgee
    Convict
    Mammoth
    June
    Tioga
    Lundy
    Virginia
    Bridgeport

And over 200 descents, including things like
    Whitney, and most of CA's 14'ers
    Lone Pine Peak
    Deerhorn Mountain
    University
    The Palisades
    South Lake
    Mt Mendel
    The Buttermilks
    Feather Peak
    White Fang
    Mt Ritter
    Red Slate
    The Negatives
    Dana Plateau
    Matterhorn Peak
    Incredible Hulk
    and so on....

Some sample pages:

Nice!!!

Nice! Can't wait to drool over the new pics!!

That line on Gilbert is sick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have bought over a dozen ski guidebooks in my travels (truth be told almost half of them were for the Sierra's) and your previous edition was hands down my favorite. I gave my copy to a friend out that way and found it hard to come by a replacement copy.

Look forward to day dreaming with the new edition.

How come you didn't extend the coverage further North?

Sweet! I'm stoked this is actually happening. It will be nice to have some fresh East Side literature!

Shut up and take my money!

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    How come you didn't extend the coverage further North?
    Gonna guess some combination of the Tahoe area being well-documented already, the mountains aren't as big, and it's far from home for the authors.
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Yeah I thought of all those, and they are all true. Just would be nice to have it all in one book.

So sick! Looks real good. Any mentions of Lotz in that book? That dude gets after it in them parts.

As long as Cope is in it I approve
    "Just send it you pussy."

Right on time! How fortuitous.
    Did the last unsatisfied fat soccer mom you took to your mom's basement call you a fascist? -irul&ublo
    Don't Taze me bro.

hell of alot better place than Talkeetna to spend a winter
    off your knees Louie

cat,
    we stopped at Bridgeport for a few reasons. One is that it's kinda the unofficial end to to the East Side and/or High Sierra. Though, yeah, that depends on who you ask. I would have loved to include Sonora Pass. But the main reason we stopped at Bridgeport is simply because neither Nate or myself have spent much time north of there. I've been to Sonora a few times, but not enough to feel comfortable writing about it. And we wanted to keep this one just like the first edition: all firsthand info.

Yes RaisingArizona, Lotz is in the book. Cope is, too. And many others. I know, the above sample pages show basically the same two people, over and over. I did that on purpose, as a joke, since there was a sort-of rivalry going between those two. But I promise, there are plenty of other familiar names all throughout the book. I even managed to (unknowingly) include a shot of Jim Zellers!

Bonnie Z was my nurse at Tahoe Forest a few years back. Legends, both of them.

Amped for the book.

Just ordered one!

Ordered...loved the last book even though I rarely go South beyond Bloody Mountain.

Funny you mention Sonora Pass...there's so many lines off of Leavitt to peak in/between/below Deadmans and I can't seem to find any info about that place. I've skied some hairball chutes in there that I'm not even sure have been skied.

New Eastern Sierra Guidebook

Shh be quiet. (Says the guy who started an SP thread...)

I should take you out next spring and show you something I found you might like. You probably haven't seen it. Not something I want to ski, but it seems right up your alley.
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 08-27-2014 at 04:03 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Purchased. Hope it snows in CA this year.
    Last edited by Greydon Clark; 08-28-2014 at 05:12 PM.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

I just ordered an inch of snow, and am looking forward to the book to go along with it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Ordered me a copy. Hope to get the BC skis out more this year... an extra inch of snow can't hurt.

I could always use another inch, done.

Add another inch. Love the 1st edition which friends have and I've checked out from the local library. Excited to have a fresh 2nd edition copy for this upcoming winter. Thinking my ski trip this year may just be some time skiing on down 395.

Sweet. I loved the first edition and am interested to read about some of the more southern lines I've been wanting to check out. (e.g., Darwin, the Palisades, etc.)

done thanks for the link !!