Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by PlayItLeo View Post
    Full retail?! Are you a well heeled dentist?
    No, I'm a computer scientist. Devops engineer to be more specific. I do ok, but not rich by any means, I just have skiing very high on my list of priorities. I also work my ass off during weekdays. But lucky enough to ski every weekend and tend to rack up between 50 and 70 days on snow each year, were more then half are good pow days. If I get to use them 10% of my skidays, which isn't unlikely at all.. and average this out over three years, I don't think the cost per day is too bad.

Not a dentist? Paid retail? How'd you get past the rigorous TGR screening process?

So my new Lotus 138 arrived. To those of you who have tried touring with skis this big, how well does it work with dynafits? And did you bend the breaks?

Ive toured on some splatulas with plums and they did just fine. Wouldn't want to do much side hilling on harder snow with them but if I take them out touring its on days with lots of snow so that's not much of a worry. I also have some non spoon 138's that have the cast system on them that likewise do just fine touring.
    "College sailing isn't about who wins the most races, its about who can stand in the morning"

I only enjoyed my 138s more than my W112s catskiing in the steepest and deepest of conditions. They do elevate the best of days to another level, but are not versatile.

I'll be touring on mine this season. Light and break trail well. If you are really "getting out there" there are better options but for 2-6K+ days where soft snow is the prize, I'd rather be on nothing else...

i have a rocker 2 202cm pair of 138s. (obviously not spooned)

i was very skeptical re: r/r skis.
    after putting ~4 days on them i'm a believer.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Maybe less relevant now since you already bought the 138 Spoons, but earlyups had reviewed them back in April and had made direct comparisons about them vs older 138s

http://earlyups.com/tested-dps-lotus-138-spoon-pure-3/

Quote Originally Posted by DGamms View Post
    Maybe less relevant now since you already bought the 138 Spoons, but earlyups had reviewed them back in April and had made direct comparisons about them vs older 138s

http://earlyups.com/tested-dps-lotus-138-spoon-pure-3/
    Yeah, and if I'm half as happy as that guy, I guess it will be awesome. They seem to be new again for 14/15 though, not sure if that's what they tested. Will mount them with Dynafit Radical FT on inserts. Not sure about what kind of alpine bindings I should get. Probably Look Pivot.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveLarger View Post
    Yeah, and if I'm half as happy as that guy, I guess it will be awesome. They seem to be new again for 14/15 though, not sure if that's what they tested. Will mount them with Dynafit Radical FT on inserts. Not sure about what kind of alpine bindings I should get. Probably Look Pivot.
    I tested the most current model (14/15)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffreyJim View Post
    I tested the most current model (14/15)
    Do you remember how that was mounted? I was told by DPS they recommended to mount 1.5 cm forward.

Should I get a pair of spoon 138?

Do you remember how that was mounted? I was told by DPS they recommended to mount 1.5 cm forward.
    2014 120 Spoons for me. Love the ski. Crazy nimble and versatile for girth. Never skies non spoon version and color me skeptical on how much value the spoon profile ads but no down side either. Best ski I have ever owned and have skied many. You'll be stoked but i would highly discourage mounting anywhere but on the line. Perhaps 1cm forward if you are a lazy skier but would be surprised DPS would recommend 1.5cm. If you ski 50+ days a year and ski in a power position do not mount forward. Good luck.
    Uno mas

Quote Originally Posted by Doremite View Post
    2014 120 Spoons for me. Love the ski. Crazy nimble and versatile for girth. Never skies non spoon version and color me skeptical on how much value the spoon profile ads but no down side either. Best ski I have ever owned and have skied many. You'll be stoked but i would highly discourage mounting anywhere but on the line. Perhaps 1cm forward if you are a lazy skier but would be surprised DPS would recommend 1.5cm. If you ski 50+ days a year and ski in a power position do not mount forward. Good luck.
    Congrats, I'm sure the 120 is awesome as well!

They do indeed recommend mounting 1.5 cm forward on the 14/15 Lotus 138. Just wondering where they mounted it for the review as they mentioned something about too much float up front. Your 120 spoon is recommended on the line.

http://www.dpsskis.com/company/faqs/tuning-mounting/
    Last edited by LiveLarger; 10-21-2014 at 07:59 AM.

I was up 2.5 on my pair but like a more forward mount ski. Plus I have demo binders on them. I'd go +1.5

I somehow missed everyone else was talking 138s. My reading comprehension is fail.
    Uno mas

Anyone, talk me into or out of getting a pair of 138?

At the moment I ski a pair of Rocker 2 122 192 and RPC 112 Pure3 mounted with quiver killers, guardian and radical st's. How much better would the spooned 138 be in deep pow? And how deep does it have to be, before they really start to be fun?

Or put it another way. How much more fun are a pair of 138 in AK, compared to my current skis?
    If you have to ask, you don't need it.

But enjoy your new sticks!

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    If you have to ask, you don't need it.

But enjoy your new sticks!
    Thanks!

Strictly speaking, I don't need skis at all! But I'm confident these will be a blast!