4 days in Oregon in an RV

Will be leaving from Portland on morning of Day 1.

is McKenzie river trail worth a day?

Or 2 days riding in Oakridge and Ashland?

Leave a 1/2 day for BRMBP? have been to BRMBP and am only competent enough jumping to stick to green circle/blue square.

I have only been to BRMBP of the above choices.

any suggestions on must do trails, or suggestions on itinerary are appreciated. both will be on 6" trail bikes. can pedal. can shuttle.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Go to Oakridge and park for 4 days. Actually, other than Bend it's the only place I've ridden in OR but the trails are superb and there is more than enough riding for 4 days.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo47_zpse9927156.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	160.9 KB 
ID:	157587
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_54161_zps7744fa02.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	135.3 KB 
ID:	157588

Oakridge is tits!

IMO Mckenzie River Trail is definitely worth a day. Start below Clear Lake at Sahalie Falls TH unless you are a big fan of volcanic boulder fields. When done in McKenzie Bridge you can take the Aufderheide Drive shortcut to Oakridge - turn south off Hwy 126 at Cougar Reservoir and keep going on Aufderheide/NF 14. Beautiful drive and about half the distance compared to driving down to Eugene & back to Oakridge on 58. See http://traveloregon.com/trip-ideas/g...-scenic-drive/

Edit to add - see post 478 in the go forth & ride thread for some pics I took a couple of years ago

what kind of riding are you looking for, whats the goal for end user experience?
    OR has lots of diversity, and my opinion seems to differ from others here already haha...
    i dont like to pedal, enjoy jumps/drops/berms, hate machine built "flow" that doesnt flow, and am bored by long days in the woods looking at birds

give me a frame of mind to work with or you will get my opinionated bullshit spew!

we want a little bit of everything. however, end game is that both of us much prefer non-machine built, long, flowy, old school trails. big vertical is key if possible. beautiful surroundings help. we both ride enough that pedaling a few thousand feet is fine. neither of us wants any flats. we want to either be going up or coming down. prob ride 4-5 hours/day.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."

If you're around Oakridge this Sat, they're running the all day, 6 shuttlefest 17K in a day
    I did it last summer and highly recommend it!
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

Was just in Oakridge a week or so ago. Place is rad. Wish I could've stayed longer. Hard to recommend not going to black rock but you're not that into jumping your time may be better spent other places.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    we want a little bit of everything. however, end game is that both of us much prefer non-machine built, long, flowy, old school trails. big vertical is key if possible. beautiful surroundings help. we both ride enough that pedaling a few thousand feet is fine. neither of us wants any flats. we want to either be going up or coming down. prob ride 4-5 hours/day.
    some nice long rides in oakridge...can't go wrong with a few days there

Yeah, you just described all of the riding in Oakridge. (River trails excepted, of course.) I haven't ridden Mackenzie River trail but have heard that it is pretty flat as river trails tend to be.

Our favorite was the Alpine trail in Oak Ridge, using the shuttle. Take the right-hand turn to do the BIG loop counter-clockwise around Tire Mountain, via Cloverpatch. Stop in at the bike shop as there is new trail to connect it back in with Alpine, they can show you on the map.

Great bakery, great brewpub, great trails- what else do you need?

We got good beta in this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ountain+biking
    Last edited by homemadesalsa; 08-20-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Will be leaving from Portland on morning of Day 1.

is McKenzie river trail worth a day?
    Yup

Or 2 days riding in Oakridge and Ashland?
    Yup

Leave a 1/2 day for BRMBP?
    Nope

Ashland is just like riding here in terms of dirt/general ecosystem. Oakridge is a little more rained up, PNW stuff but oregon style, not warshington (IE mostly dirt on the trails without so much root and rock).

Blackrock is circus tricks while the other places feel like mountain biking. I'd do mckenzie a day, oakridge a day, decide if you want to stay there, and if not go hit ashland.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    Yeah, you just described all of the riding in Oakridge. (River trails excepted, of course.) I haven't ridden Mackenzie River trail but have heard that it is pretty flat as river trails tend to be.
    This. Go straight to oakridge. Park right on 1 of 3 rivers. Ride. It has everything you just described, and If you want a river ride just do the MF Willamette trail

Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    If you're around Oakridge this Sat, they're running the all day, 6 shuttlefest 17K in a day
    I did it last summer and highly recommend it!
    Putting this on the list of things I want to do!

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeBC View Post
    Putting this on the list of things I want to do!
    Why settle for a measly 17K, they now offer a 25K in a day.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

thanks all.

gonna spend all 4 days in oakridge.

I'll be up there in two days. Call me if you will be too.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Kidwoo, not until the 10th.

oakridge sounds like your cup o tea, alpine is the go to jedi forest trail, hardesty, lawler, heckletooth, bunchgrass, moon point, and a bunch of other names im forgetting get mentioned a ton as well

MRT is rad, weekdays and after kiddos head back to school makes it way more radder, its turned into a bit of a clusterfuck but still worthy of its fame if crowds can be avoided

if you end up wanting to explore some off radar areas you could loop over to the coast and hit alsea falls and/or marys peak, both worthy, marys is a 2k climb/descend on coastal range with roots and views galore, alsea is a new trail system that is getting mentions as best "flow" trail in the state from my biased sources

i cant imagine not hitting BR though, bearded women and bears in roller skates be damned, i will claim circus freak proudly

lph & kidwoo, check the status of local fires before you head out

oakridge is near the deception complex fire

Quote Originally Posted by homemadesalsa View Post
    Our favorite was the Alpine trail in Oak Ridge, using the shuttle. Take the right-hand turn to do the BIG loop counter-clockwise around Tire Mountain, via Cloverpatch. Stop in at the bike shop as there is new trail to connect it back in with Alpine, they can show you on the map.

Great bakery, great brewpub, great trails- what else do you need?

We got good beta in this thread: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ountain+biking
    It's called ATC-A and it's the shizzle.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    lph & kidwoo, check the status of local fires before you head out

oakridge is near the deception complex fire
    Yup - DEQ sez air quality = unhealthy in Oakridge. Smoke's blown over to the east side and making it kind of shitty here too.
    http://www.ktvz.com/news/massive-smo...dfire/27766152