Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

DIY Mobile FIre Pit?

Looking build a study/safe yet mobile fire pit for my patio/yard. I've seen all these POS ones you buy at Home Depot that are basically made out super thin/cheap steel or even aluminum in some cases....

I've seen people build ones out of kits with curved cement stones and a metal liner which while very nice aren't too mobile.

I was thinking of going to a metal fabricator/welding shop and having them make something cool out of some mid-weight metal that I could at the very least drag around with out much effort or even affix a few metal wheels at the base and a handle on the opposing side to lift up and push/pull. Shape would be inverted trapezoid with a base, elevated & removable grill to rest logs on at bottom with small vent holes bored below in the base. Could even get fancy and have a ash door or drawer on one side.

Anyone else done something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    Looking build a study/safe yet mobile fire pit for my patio/yard. I've seen all these POS ones you buy at Home Depot that are basically made out super thin/cheap steel or even aluminum in some cases....

I've seen people build ones out of kits with curved cement stones and a metal liner which while very nice aren't too mobile.

I was thinking of going to a metal fabricator/welding shop and having them make something cool out of some mid-weight metal that I could at the very least drag around with out much effort or even affix a few metal wheels at the base and a handle on the opposing side to lift up and push/pull. Shape would be inverted trapezoid with a base, elevated & removable grill to rest logs on at bottom with small vent holes bored below in the base. Could even get fancy and have a ash door or drawer on one side.

Anyone else done something similar?
    If you put wheels on it, make sure it can't roll anywhere on its own. If I had wheels I'd make them so that you had to pick up one side to engage them.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    If you put wheels on it, make sure it can't roll anywhere on its own. If I had wheels I'd make them so that you had to pick up one side to engage them.
    Yea that's what I had in mind, similar to a cooler with wheels on one end where the wheels only engaged when the base was lifted up off the ground from the other side. Also with the weight in play it should be pretty stable...

I would design it with dimensions that will allow it to be easily lined with firebrick. Unless you have those in there I predict you will warp the hell out of the metal frame in short order.

PM sherpahigh about this.... go in business together....

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...thread)/page50

Wow...just wow....that thing is seriously beautiful. Knew you fuckers would have some ideas.....

Boaters need portable fire pits on rafting trips, so ask rafting friends or peruse rafting supply sites or ask on a site like mountainbuzz or boater talk.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    Boaters need portable fire pits on rafting trips, so ask rafting friends or peruse rafting supply sites or ask on a site like mountainbuzz or boater talk.
    I often see decommissioned fire shelters used for fire pits on boat trips, probably not ideal for the back yard, but certainly portable.

Mine's basically a copper kettle on a metal stand. Not flimsy but wasn't cheap either.

plus

my old man made a ghetto one like that. Find a drum with the top & bottom intact, fill with water, cut with angle grinder top to bottom, you'll end up with 2. You'll need legs to spot it rocking. The thin shitty metal lasted surprisingly well, way longer than I anticipated.

55 or a 30 gal steel drum, cut in half , poke sum holes in bottom, add several bricks under and dun.
    watch out for snakes

The thin shitty fire pit that I think we got at a hardware store has lasted surprisingly well. Similar to a Home Despot one I think. It really hasn't warped much even though I have dumped water in it a bunch of times to smother a raging fire.

If you were going hudge, you could repurpose one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    The thin shitty fire pit that I think we got at a hardware store has lasted surprisingly well. Similar to a Home Despot one I think. It really hasn't warped much even though I have dumped water in it a bunch of times to smother a raging fire.
    We literally melted one of these a few years back hence the more "sturdy" factor. I'm sure some are ok but since I'm aroused by fire, I want mine to be more sturdy....

If you have a metals/waterjet business near you, you could probably sketch something like that one sherpahigh made (which is schweet!), and have them cut out the metal flat, then weld it.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer28 View Post
    We literally melted one of these a few years back hence the more "sturdy" factor. I'm sure some are ok but since I'm aroused by fire, I want mine to be more sturdy....
    Ah. SO you need a portable blast furnace. Check. I can totally relate. I would suggest, since it is to be used in your own yard, sacrificing some portability? Firebrick lined would make it heavy as fuck but you get closer to what you want. Maybe find and old woodstove that you can torch/cut the top off and line the bottom with brick? That will have some cool art factor. Or some other thick iron object. Move it with two poles or a wheel-barrow under it when you have to.

Or line a metal wheel barrow with firebrick and use that. It will have stability issues though. :0

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    If you were going hudge, you could repurpose one of these...

I've got one of those disassembled in my yard. You pay shipping.
    Living vicariously through myself.

grrrr - you still got the receiver/control unit?
    I'm looking for one.
    I see those dishes used for sunshades out in the desert sometimes.

I have a similar dilemma to Boomer28's wants. I built an octagonal hot tub out of some really old thick recycled virgin redwood. Compound miters on each cut so it slopes back a bit for relaxation. The tub is designed for a copper bottom so it can be fire heated in the Japanese ofuro tradition . But I want to make it portable on a trailer. Kinda like this...

If you want to modify an old wood stove and are located in Utah, I've got one I would donate/let go for some beer.

Go to the junkyard and get an old drum out of a washing machine.

Since I had an old Weber sitting around I set it in a stone ring and it works fine. Picking it up by the handles to move is easy. The bottom has vents, along with a bottom grill and the top is useful for snuffing the fire when you are done. If I still had the legs, shortening them would have been worth trying vs the stone ring.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

Quote Originally Posted by reganized View Post
    I have a feeling the OP would melt that...