Good 2 night fishing backpacking trip in Colorado

Wife and kid leave to visit grandparents for a week which gives me the rare weekend to get away for a few days. Looking for a place within a 2 hour drive of Golden to hike in and do a bit of fishing and camping. Will drive and hike in on Friday, fish sat, then hike out Sunday. I don't want to spend the whole time hiking but would like to get away from the crowds a bit and have a few fishing options. Have a few thoughts but was wondering if people have some spots they want to share they could shoot me a PM. Thanks.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Thanks Holy Cross wilderness is actually the one area I have fished before and really enjoyed. Missouri lakes was beautiful. Leaning towards fryingpan lakes or Chicago lakes depending on how early of a start I can get.

Fryingpan Lakes is a sweet spot! Hike isn't too bad, fishing is good, beautiful scenery all around. Unfortunately, the last time I was there it was super crowded and full of day hikers. Shouldn't be too bad this time of year.

I know this is an older thread and I have been MIA for a bit...but hopefully I will get some responses or PMs as I understand not posting the best stops here. Short story...got a baby coming in 2 months...wanted to do a float trip, but everything close is blown out...North Platte is a good option and we floated it last year, but certainly a bit far of a drive for a quick trip. So looking for some high country/backpacking options.

I can leave Denver Saturday mid-afternoon, and will need to be back Sunday night. What are the best backpacking options for lake fishing in that short window? I have all the gear, etc. for overnight trips, and one or maybe two partners...additional Mags are always welcome!

Hutchinson Lakes?

Thank you guys for any help!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Upper cataract in scummit?
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

How is the fishing and crowds up there? Is it a free for all for camping? And is there a place to get trail condition updates to know if the trail is clear of snow?
    Last edited by gretch6364; 06-23-2015 at 04:30 PM.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Hutchinson Lakes?
    Had it to myself on 4th of July weekend....in 97 or 98.