Thread: Homewood, CA

Homewood, CA

I'm headed down to Tahoe next week to vacation, our cabin is just north of Homewood. Anyone know the beta on Homewood's "mountain bike and hiking trails?" Do they have intention of spinning lifts and building more out? Are any of the trails that they've constructed anything more than a beater old hiking trail that they are allowing public access on and distributing maps for?

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    Anyone know the beta on Homewood's "mountain bike and hiking trails?"
    What they call trails, are just dirt roads.

Do they have intention of spinning lifts and building more out?
    Not that they've stated publicly or demonstrated in any meaningful way.

Are any of the trails that they've constructed anything more than a beater old hiking trail that they are allowing public access on and distributing maps for?
    See above

There's a shit ton of good riding in tahoe. Don't let that discourage you.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Don't remember of hearing of many rides down that direction on the West Shore, but once you're back in Tahoe City, or at least closer to Alpine Meadows, there's a shitload of good riding. I expect someone to prove me wrong, though...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

i have never heard of any mountain biking in that particular area. but tahoe isn't that big you are close enough to both south shore and north shore to get some great riding in.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

I don't doubt it. Planning to ride Rose to Chimney beach, Scott Peak and more, pending time. Any other suggestions on the North Shore? What's riding good right now? I'm riding a 650b superlight and enjoy something between xc and trail style rides. I don't really plan to hit 3' drops or do 40mph downhill, nor ride uphill for six hours straight. Will be in pain for the first few days, coming from sealevel.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    What they call trails, are just dirt roads.

Not that they've stated publicly or demonstrated in any meaningful way.
    I'm sure there's more info behind the scenes after Homewood was bought and their effort to develop the area into a glutony of overpriced and hyped townhouses that take lift tickets to 100/day. But it'll soon go bankrupt, again, after that and maybe they'll abandon the lifts and leave it for touring in winter and a ride up, homegrown bike park in summer. One can dream.

rose to chimney is a great ride. just did it this past weekend.

fountain place trail to armstrong to freel saddle to 3,200ft of descending is another great one.

mr toad's from armstrong pass is great as well.
    "A man on foot, on horseback or on a bicycle will see more, feel more, enjoy more in one mile than the motorized tourists can in a hundred miles."
    — Edward Abbey (Desert Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by brown9 View Post
    dream.
    Well that's all they've done for the last 5 years.

Sounds like you're pretty well aware of the shitshow of unfulfilled proposals that place has become.

That terrain certainly is perfect for some good bike trails.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Well that's all they've done for the last 5 years.

Sounds like you're pretty well aware of the shitshow of unfulfilled proposals that place has become.

That terrain certainly is perfect for some good bike trails.
    Yeah, I've grown up skiing there on spring and winter breaks, struggling through gigantic storms that snow 5' in 24 hours, only to wallow out to the road and catch the TART to an awesome day at homewood, if only I had rockered skis back then. The terrain is hardly steep enough now to take full advantage of storm snow, but it's such a nice break from the fray of squaw's antics. We had a great time a year ago at the ice bar one afternoon watching these drunks stumble around dancing to house music. It's a fun time, but not a destination resort, no matter how hard you try.

Bike trails and the rapid growth of bike trails/parks could be a nice draw for them. Given the surge of flow this or that, seems like a lot of the trails on the north shore are still the "old school" gnar. Could pitch the dark star IMBA to make it a new bike park like Park City. I've never ridden PC, but have heard it's a lot of fun.

Welp, rode to the top of homewood today. While the views were great at the top Of quail face, the "trails" were just their access roads. It would be prime to get locals in there to build trails. There's so little underbrush and smooth ground surface for single track I think it wouldn't be nearly as much work as building near my locale in Seattle.