oil filter question

I have an oil filter for a 1998 1.8 l Toyota Corolla, I no longer have the car but I have a '91 Celica with a 2.2l in it. The filters are physically so fucking close to identical that I can't see any difference. Should I use it in the Celica? Coincidentally it looks near identical to the one I just put on my wife's 2.4l Corolla.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

I wouldn't just because a filter is so cheap. I assume you have cross referenced the numbers and they are different for the two cars. If they turn out the same, well then they take the same filter.

Just a pain in the ass to have drive 20 minutes to the auto parts store then 20 home when I could just do it RFN.
    You are what you eat.

oil filter question

I used to use a larger filter than the one specified for my old 85 Toyota's 22re (mostly cause one would always be in stock and the other not), and I got almost a half million kms out of that engine. As long at the threads, gasket, in-feed port area, and overall capacity are about the same (and the work won't affect a warranty of some sort), I would go for it. I would suspect that the oil light would come on, or the oil gauge to show low pressure before any real damage could be done to the engine. But I'm also just a shop hack

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver View Post
    Just a pain in the ass to have drive 20 minutes to the auto parts store then 20 home when I could just do it RFN.
    Fuck that, make the wife do it. And when she gets home, she needs to make you a big sammich!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    and the work won't affect a warranty of some sort
    Warranty on a '91 celica..???

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    I wouldn't just because a filter is so cheap.
    Probably costs more than a 91 celica is worth though?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Warranty on a '91 celica..???
    Come on, I even included a winking smiley. You developing a case of trench-head? Better move 100km either west or east until it clears

If the threads and gasket are the same it will work. The differences are micron filtration specs, (a smaller number = better filtration) and the pressure relief bypass valve PSI rating, (that spring thingy in the bottom).

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Probably costs more than a 91 celica is worth though?
    No, but add in the oil and its pretty close. For a 23 yo car it still drives like new, less than 200k km (~120k miles) on it. Fun to drive the twisty road I live on. Doesn't burn oil, gets great fuel economy, decent stereo, sun roof doesn't leak, everything works. Beats the fuck out of a car payment. To be honest, I like driving it more than my 2012 Tacoma with only 35,000 km on it. Definately more fun than my wife's Corolla XRS, not as much power but more fun.

After looking at a few sites I found one that cross referenced it with a known compatible filter so it is on and the car has new synthetic oil. Previous owner ran synthetic so I figure why not, buy it on sale and its not much more than regular priced dino oil.
    You are what you eat.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMountainHound View Post
    Come on, I even included a winking smiley. You developing a case of trench-head? Better move 100km either west or east until it clears
    fk dude its no mans land here. Heathens to the east, hippies to the west, its no wonder we are confused!