help with a budget laptop editor

Hey you cheap bastards

I'm looking for a budget laptop editor to get me through some skiing HDSLR footage this winter. Would love to hear some recommendations for around $500 bucks or less.

Right now I'm simply looking for a laptop that can run Final Cut Pro, Avid, or Premier without a bunch of lag time. I'm not shooting 4K, and will probably edit in 1080p.

Thoughts?

Transcode out of h.264 and just about anything can handle it. Editing a proper codec on a computer is all about throughput. It has very little to do with todays processors. I cut 12 live streams simultaneously of ProRes proxy from RED2K about 5 years ago on a macmini. Yes, 12 2K streams playing at the same time. That had a C2D which is a slug by most of todays low power processors. You have to be more concerned about having a fast hard drive and a fast bus. USB3 and at least 7200 RPM external hard drive are your immediate concerns. A striped raid would be even better. At least 4GB of RAM as well.

People need to learn the offline/online process. You could use a netbook if you understood this basic principal of editing that has been used for almost ever and amateurs completely gloss over this.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I don't know anything about editing video.

Dell sells off lease computers and from time to time sends out %35 off coupons. Signup for the mailings and wait for a deal. They have been running them every couple of weeks recently. You could have gotten an I7-2720qm CPU (6000ish score) machine with 8GB for $450 a few days ago

http://www.dfsdirectsales.com/?utm_s...m_medium=email