Thread: Sore feet

Sore feet

All summer the balls of my feet have been getting very sore from hiking, usually on the downhill and usually after 6-7 miles. They are often sore the next morning but it goes away. I do have insoles in my boots. Any idea what this is and how to help it?

if it's between the third and fourth toes, on the ball of the foot, it could be neuroma.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using TGR Forums

I've had foot issue's after a big event (26 hrs in AT boots) pain that wasn't going away 9 days after the event, a sports physio I ran into at the bar recommended ice baths which helped alot, so this year I did the same event with ice bath/IBpruphen right after and I was good to go much sooner so thats what I do anytime I really stress the feet, it its winter I thro some snow in a cooler with water and sit here surfing the net until I can't stand the cold but ice would also work
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Most likely plantar neuromas. First thing to do is to loosen lower laces on your boots/shoes. Learn how to lace so the lower laces stay loose while the upper laces stay snug. Thinner sox may help.Aftermarket insoles like Superfeet sometimes make things worse by making the forefoot tighter. The point is to let the foot bones spread apart to take pressure off the nerves. If that doesn't work, you can try metatarsal pads, which are firm felt pads that you stick to the insole just behind--not under--the metatarsal heads, which are the balls at the ends of the footbone (the so called ball of the foot is the first metatarsal heads. plantar neuromas are usually between the smaller toes.). The gel pads you can easily find are too soft. The firm met pad forces the bones to spread apart. They might be hard to find without going to a podiatrist--try the internet. If the nerve is just irritated all of this may solve the problem. If actual neuromas (nerve growths) have developed sometimes surgery is required. Sometimes the right pair of boots will work--I had a pair that worked for me but I had to return to REI because the soles were dissolving after 5 days of hiking. (The plastic crap they call Vibram these days sux.) Note that plantar neuromas are VERY painful--if you're just sore it's probably something else.

So it goes away when I ice it, but comes back if I hike more than 6-7 miles. Thoughts on how to help prevent it?

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    So it goes away when I ice it, but comes back if I hike more than 6-7 miles. Thoughts on how to help prevent it?
    Captain Obvious would recommend hiking less than 6 miles.
    Silent....but shredly.

Why would I want to do that? I've got big hiking goals in the next month, well over 6 miles.

Why would I want to do that? I've got big hiking goals in the next month, well over 6 miles.
    Well, then enjoy painful feet. Just saying, until you determine what the cause of the pain is, either a physical problem with your feet, your footwear, or a combo of both, you might want to back off on the distance and type of terrain yer hiking.
    Silent....but shredly.

Most likely plantar neuromas. First thing to do is to loosen lower laces on your boots/shoes. Learn how to lace so the lower laces stay loose while the upper laces stay snug. Thinner sox may help.Aftermarket insoles like Superfeet sometimes make things worse by making the forefoot tighter. The point is to let the foot bones spread apart to take pressure off the nerves. If that doesn't work, you can try metatarsal pads, which are firm felt pads that you stick to the insole just behind--not under--the metatarsal heads, which are the balls at the ends of the footbone (the so called ball of the foot is the first metatarsal heads. plantar neuromas are usually between the smaller toes.). The gel pads you can easily find are too soft. The firm met pad forces the bones to spread apart. They might be hard to find without going to a podiatrist--try the internet. If the nerve is just irritated all of this may solve the problem. If actual neuromas (nerve growths) have developed sometimes surgery is required. Sometimes the right pair of boots will work--I had a pair that worked for me but I had to return to REI because the soles were dissolving after 5 days of hiking. (The plastic crap they call Vibram these days sux.) Note that plantar neuromas are VERY painful--if you're just sore it's probably something else.

Are you a weekend warrior who usually hangs out in a cubicle and you are going to far too fast ... maybe your feet need some conditioning ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

No a weekend warrior and have been hiking 8-10 miles one or two times a week since May. In the past month this pain has been happening...