Can a small town save it's ski area? TGR story

https://www.tetongravity.com/story/sk...es-his-insight

Thanks for this one, guys. Quite timely for me considering Bear Valley's deal.

http://m.calaverasenterprise.com/mob...a4bcf887a.html
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 08-13-2014 at 12:21 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Shames did, garyfromterrace was very involved in getting a coop going until he moved to mordor
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Al, you make it sound like I'm not involved any more. Au contraire mon frere. Involved as hell still. Fight's not over but we're holding steady (and open).

Wish all the luck in the world to folks trying to save their hills. It's a good fight.

PS Al, there's good restaurants in mordor.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

you didn't look like you were starving least time I seen ya

edit: come to think of it I ran into you in the lineup for the "Happy Pig" food truck
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-14-2014 at 07:42 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Had some great races at Whaleback. Remember going there trying to give away some of my SL points.

yes let's all donate. Little Joey who's parents pay $50,000 a year to send him to private school may loose his race course. Stick this in the first world problems thread.
    off your knees Louie

Not the story with bv

Hugh Conway Guest
    there's plenty of private school kids at Bear Valley. I can introduce you.

Can a small town save it's ski area? TGR story

Ok please do.

I know all the race kids.

I really want to meet these people.

dang, Mike-
    here i thought this was yet another story about Squalpine and SOV...
    good luck with it
    "if you plant ice, you're gonna harvest wind..."

It's not just private schools that race though. It's a great little area.

I'm missing something with this deal with Skyline. Mike's article makes it sound like the BV coop will run the resort and Skyline will do what - Buy/Sell all the surrounding private real estate? Will Skyline put actual money into the resort infrastructure and operating capital? If not, the risk/reward balance seems heavily weighted against the coop members.

What am I missing?

Good question. Honestly I think Skyline is sorta stroking the co-op. They'll do whatever the fuck they want.

Black Mountain in Maine is another one that the community rallied around to save. Much different scenario than the one you describe. Best of luck, Bear Mountain is in a lovely place.

Bear Valley

My bad

http://www.calaverasenterprise.com/n...9bb2963f4.html

With autumn’s leaves mere weeks from turning, Bear Valley Mountain Resort’s new owners have already started preparing for the upcoming ski season.

Pending the final approval of the U.S. Forest Service, which is anticipated to go through without issue, Skyline International Development Inc. is the new owner of the mountain resort.

“A lot of work has gone into it,” said Michael Sneyd, CEO of Skyline. “Our focus right now is to improve the mountain experience, the guest experience and to make sure that the Bear Valley brand reaches the heights it enjoyed in the past.”

The Toronto-based company’s binding purchase and sale agreement includes only the on-mountain assets of the resort. But with the purchase of the ski area, Skyline has an option to purchase development land in Bear Valley Village over the next three years.

Though Sneyd said that is Skyline’s plan, he added the company will focus this year on the ski area in particular. Skyline is working with current onsite management and the newly appointed asset managers, Northern California ski industry duo Chris Ryman and Betsy Cole to develop a list of priorities. Sneyd said at the top are improving snowmaking abilities and enhancing the midmountain lodge.

“There are several operation items we’d like to see addressed right away: flow issues, flow of rentals, flow through the kids’ camp facilities and the facilities with respect to bar and restaurant – generally, that the patrons see there’s a real uptick this coming season.”

Sneyd said the company is delighted to add Bear Valley to its growing portfolio of hotels and resorts.

“Given Bear Valley’s spectacular beauty, excellent terrain and potential for improvement, we believe it is a great fit,” he said.

Founded in 1998 by entrepreneur Gil Blutrich, Skyline has expanded quickly over the past five years, growing its asset base from $26 million to $311 million with the acquisition of hotel and resort properties in Canada. Purchase price for the Bear Valley ski area is still confidential, Sneyd said. Bear Valley is the company’s second U.S. acquisition, following the 2011 purchase of the Hyatt Regency and Cleveland Arcade.

And although the company is new to the West Coast, Blutrich said Bear Valley is similar to one of the company’s Canadian ski resorts.

“Both appeal to families and local groups while benefiting from their close proximity to large urban centers,” he said. “In Horseshoe’s case, the 8.8 million people who live in the Greater Golden Horseshoe and for Bear Valley, nearly 5 million who live in the Bay Area. Bear Valley is a perfect, natural and quiet alternative to Lake Tahoe.”

Sneyd said the Bear Valley Mountain Cooperative, which also sought to purchase the mountain this year, will remain involved in the ownership transition.

“Skyline was impressed by the passion, dedication and collaboration demonstrated by the Bear Valley Mountain Coop-erative and will work with their leadership in the coming weeks as they develop detailed plans for Bear Valley,” he said.

The deal is subject to the U.S. Forest Service issuing a permit to operate the resort, which is expected in 30 to 60 days.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Good question. Honestly I think Skyline is sorta stroking the co-op. They'll do whatever the fuck they want.
    Me too. Sounds like the co-op wants $ to go into the mountain and Skyline is all about real estate and "heads in bed's". Truth is, they need the real estate $ to improve the mountain. Then with better mountain facilities, they'll sale more real estate and make it a more viable, sustainable enterprise. I'm sure the co-op won't like everything they do, but I think it's a good thing overall for the long term.

I still call it Mt. Reba.

Sounds promising.

I sort of relate to the issues going on at small local hills.

One of my local ski areas has been teetering on the edge of oblivion for several years.

They have a great hill but years of bad and out right stupid decisions seems to be coming to a head.

Most folks just hope they can scrape by and open for another year but me thinks it might be better if it went titsup and then someone who knows what they are doing could step in and take over.
    Last edited by scottyb; 08-23-2014 at 05:24 PM.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    yes let's all donate. Little Joey who's parents pay $50,000 a year to send him to private school may loose his race course. Stick this in the first world problems thread.
    This really hurts the message of the video I must agree. A bunch of 1% folks getting nostalgic.

That doesn't change the ultimate point, but people do get put off by this sort of thing, specifically in NH (concerning Whaleback).
    Live Free or Die