Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Garage Ski Storage (DIY or prebuilt)

I'm looking to store multiple skis (about 8 pairs, half of which are kids' skis) in my garage. Right now, they're just leaning precariously againt the wall. I've got about five feet of wall width to work with. I was thinking of getting a 2x4", some dowels, and a rubber mat (which would more or less stablize the current situation) but thought I'd check in with the TGR collective first. Descriptions are great; photos are even better.

Many thanks.

(I searched and the best I found was this post from 2005, which is somewhat helpful but could use a 2014 updating.)

Due to limited space I built a ski rack into my entrance way hall closet, since dowel costs mo money than 2x4 and since the bindings need spacing any how I just used 2x4's for everything and I fit 4 sets of skis into a slot which is the depth of a closet

a set of guides at the shovels and a second set of guides at the bottom of the ski is a good thing especially if you got tele skis

I might attempt to post a pict
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

You will definitely be hanging them upright with the limited space. Picture is not my setup but I seems like a good one for the number of skis you have. Is this in the garage or house? BTW, I have no clue if this works with full rocker skis or not...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	682_Skis.JPG 
Views:	28441 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	157403

Or you could try something a little more... avant guard:

Can you hang heavily rockered skis by their tips (like in 2clue's photo)? The third and fourth pics in acinpdx's post were kind of what I had envisioned.

Two of these screwed into ceiling joists will hold 4-6 pairs of skis plus some poles. Depending on your garage you may be able to put them above the door in space that's otherwise hard to use. Down side is needing to get a step ladder to get to the skis, but good for summer storage or skis that don't get much use.

Name:	31RVGP1EZ1L.jpg 
Views:	1349 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	157406

For wall storage, I like to hang skis horizontally. You can build something from scrap wood or just buy a cheap lumber rack like this and cover the supports with foam. If your ceilings are high you may be able to put two racks on top of each other. You'll need at least 6-7 feet of horizontal space though depending on the length of your skis.

Name:	71iYYR88eAL._SL1500_.jpg 
Views:	3757 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	157407

What's your garage ceiling space like?

My storage rack is sort of like this pic, but attached differently to the ceiling (spaced down further, so I can store skis base-to-base). I built it out of 2x3 (slightly lighter weight than 2x4), and have full 8' width on the rack. Holds about 12 pair of skis, most of which are fat-ish.

I have a flat ceiling in my garage, so it's free space for storage. If I wanted to line up 8' of skis along the wall, that would take up a lot of space that I could use for other stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    Two of these screwed into ceiling joists will hold 4-6 pairs of skis plus some poles. Depending on your garage you may be able to put them above the door in space that's otherwise hard to use. Down side is needing to get a step ladder to get to the skis, but good for summer storage or skis that don't get much use.

Name:	31RVGP1EZ1L.jpg 
Views:	1349 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	157406
    My mountain bikes hang on those trapeezes. Those are pretty burly for something as light as skis.

I've used some of these for a horizontal rack if you're looking to do it cheap

I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Thanks, all. The skis, at least in the winter, need to be easily accessable. My daughter has ski team 3 - 4 times a week and, as a family, we ski a lot. I like the ceiling storage idea generally, but I'm not sure I could convince the missus to get use a ladder to get or put back skis several times a week. I like the lumber storage idea, although I don't think horizontal storage will work for us.

I bought a whole bunch of these and secured them to the basement wall.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_302674-46882...7C1&facetInfo=

Each one holds two pairs of fatties, or three pairs of traditional/race/kids skis. For some hooks I put a piece of wire over the tips of the hooks to keep them from spreading out from rockered tips. Cheap, easy and very functional.

2x4's and dowel rods if you don't want to get on a ladder to retrieve them. Adjust the lengths for how many skis you need and you're done. Dowels are horizontal and 2x4's are vertical.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 08-13-2014 at 07:13 PM.

I just use ladder hooks into the studs. Works great for me, but with only 5 feet of wall, it's not a good solution for you.

Name:	41FHJH1X45L._SY355_.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	157410

I know this thread is about a rack for the garage but this shows waht I did with some 2x4 in a very small space an entranceway coat closet, 4 pair of skis the inside skis are tele and they are held together by the lower guides, the outside par are lotus 120's so the rack works good with rockered skis , you gotta make sure to leave enough sideways room for the bindings and the biggest space robber is some FR+

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a...1&d=1407979649
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061.jpg 
Views:	4268 
Size:	865.6 KB 
ID:	157414  

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/a...1&d=1407980521

I know this thread is about a rack for the garage but this shows what you can do with some 2x4 in a very small space which is in this app my entrance way coat closet, it holds 4 pair of skis the inside skis are tele and they are held together by the lower guides, the outside pair are lotus 120's so the rack works good with rockered skis , you gotta make sure to leave enough sideways room for the bindings and the biggest space robber is the FR+ bindings
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	061.jpg 
Views:	1217 
Size:	865.6 KB 
ID:	157415  

yeah but the FR+ is still in the quiver as a rock/twintip setup, if I get inspired I might splash some white paint on the 2x4's, this is probably a good rack for a condo with limited space or sft, I don't have a garage and the basement is rented out so i don't need to

btw if you have an unfinished ceiling with an open area between the floor joists you can stuff skis inbetween the floor joists

If your garage wall isn't sheetrocked, screwing some 1x4ish scraps to the studs is a cheap and east way to go, provided you have the space. This took me 20 min earlier this summer

Can you hang 'em? Or at least some of them?

Ladder hooks suspended in garage ceiling. Could be attached to studs.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1407985086.847358.jpg 
Views:	1198 
Size:	617.7 KB 
ID:	157416

Those are mine.

Rest live in here.

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1407985195.895932.jpg 
Views:	1570 
Size:	881.4 KB 
ID:	157417
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Can you hang heavily rockered skis by their tips (like in 2clue's photo)? The third and fourth pics in acinpdx's post were kind of what I had envisioned.

Nope. Even my Wren splay way out when held by the tips. POWs just fall through.

Horizontal. Made mine from and old vertical surf board rack I no longer needed. py pic, but I can hold a shot ton of skis. Any chance you can get six feet of wall?

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1407986807.540983.jpg 
Views:	1362 
Size:	903.1 KB 
ID:	157418

I have never used two bays of a two car garage. For cars.

A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Could be attached to studs.

Lots of good ideas here, I also use the screw in ladder hooks but also have a pre built all metal dowel mount that will hold either a snoreboard or two fatty skis in each slot with a total of four slots . Also have one of those plastic floor holders but given the ever widening profile of modern skis it only works for my xc skis any mo.

Basically you will have to adapt something to your space, however that works out.
    watch out for snakes

We use these from Gemplers. Each rack will hold 3-5 pairs of skis depending on width. Great for tools too.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/HR13...0140814132738s

Like those. Are they pretty sturdy as far as not splay in out toward the ends?

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    We use these from Gemplers. Each rack will hold 3-5 pairs of skis depending on width. Great for tools too.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/HR13...0140814132738s