Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ratdog cancelled

Wonder what's going on with Bobby now. Those guys have been pushing it for a long time.

I have read two rumors. First, it was an intervention from all his friends to go to rehab and deal with some major addictions. Second, he is having major back surgery that will leave him rehabbing for an entire year. Either or neither could be true.

Lots of interweb rumors out there. Best to bob and his family!

Hopefully this hiatus/healing period brings him back stronger on the other side.

spook Guest
    wow if it was an intervention that would really suck. i sort of assumed he was over most of whatever could hurt him worst.

Yeah everything except for old age
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    Yeah everything except for old age

true. age has a way of bringing some of those demons back, especially if you're in any kind of chronic pain.

Bobby wouldn't be Bobby if he wasn't a junky. Sad to say but true. Phil managed to move on and thrive, but Bob has been spun out for quite a while now. Jerry was the same way.

All their friends say it's a shame.

Is he the victim or the crime?

Rumor is the show he missed in Vegas he was annihilated and couldn't go on.

Funny thing is that he was usually the MOST sober of anyone onstage (with the dead), and it was that way for decades. Sad.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Sometimes. Other times not so much. I always knew we were in for a weird show when Bobby played the pink guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    Rumor is the show he missed in Vegas he was annihilated and couldn't go on.
    Yeah, I heard he was shattered and groped a waitress. Then the story goes that the management kicked him out...of his own show. Who knows what is really true, but that might not be too far off.

spook Guest
    ugh.....

Ratdog cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Funny thing is that he was usually the MOST sober of anyone onstage (with the dead), and it was that way for decades. Sad.
    I had a few chances toward the end to visit with him before and after some Midwest shows. Also met him in '90. He was level headed and appeared absolutely free of any substance in the brief conversations I had with him. I might have caught him on sober days. Who knows?

Regardless if this break in the action is substance related or not, I hope he can recover and keep the music going. It seems like all the guys have turned the corner musically in the past 3-4years and as a result, the music has improved, IMO. Bringing new artists into the mix that interpret Dead tunes in an abstract way has done good. Fingers crossed this isn't the last we see/hear from Weir.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    Fingers crossed this isn't the last we see/hear from Weir.
    I feel that way after every show in recent years. I had tics to his show a week from today up here in NH.

Shit like this goes down and I think of the day Jerry passed and Bobby was playing in my hometown. That was a weird day. They rocked the place that night and I wasn't even inside because my wife was soo pregnant. We sat outside and heard the whole show with a million cops, dogs, and mounties waiting for the riot to break out

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I don't know... always thought he looked like he was on uppers...

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums

spook Guest
    i always thought he was more sober than, well, jerry

They were scheduled to play at this weekend's Peach Music Festival. Seems that the Trey Anastasio Band is picking up their slot and now doing 2 shows.

Tim Flannery, (SF Giants), released an email from Bob. Don't have much opinion here but in case you guys were wondering, he says he is fine and needs a little time off.

Quote Originally Posted by bigAK View Post
    This is awesome, I want a big blown up version hanging on the wall.

Never to old to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    I don't know... always thought he looked like he was on uppers...

Sent from my SM-N900V using TGR Forums
    I always thought he went through stints of speed being his preferred vice. I stood in front of him at many a ga show and there were nights he was definitely hyped up on something, red-eyed and more animated than usual. I remember a spectrum show (maybe meadowlands?) were he really seemed extra wound up, he went to kick a balloon at the edge of the stage and fell flat on his ass, not sure I ever saw the rest of the band laugh so hard in the middle of a tune.

Hope he's ok and a little r&r let's the train keep rollin'.

Heard there was a big intervention. Phil and Mickey actually were in the same room, and that takes some doing these days. The night before the flight to Boston to start the tour. Oxy is what I heard. Reliable source with good contacts.

that's no bueno.
    hope he get's it figured out, i love Bob Weir.
    i just grabbed tickets for DSO at the Calvin in December.
    MMP?
    crab in my shoe mouth

spook Guest
    I can't imagine having an oxy addiction at his age. That shit just runs you ragged.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    that's no bueno.
    hope he get's it figured out, i love Bob Weir.
    i just grabbed tickets for DSO at the Calvin in December.
    MMP?
    Yeah, I'll catch the Portland show. Those guys are good!

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    I can't imagine having an oxy addiction at his age. That shit just runs you ragged.
    They give that shit away like candy for the slightest injury. It's too easy, hence all the heroin issues around my local community now. But you would think Bobby would have learned over the years...maybe he just didn't give a fuck. Who knows.