Thread: Destin, FL

Destin, FL

I'm trying to plan the GTFO of the cold vacation for the family and I think we'll end up in America's Wang, Destin to be exact. Any suggestions for fishing or anything else to do would be appreciated. We could probably swing one or two days for a guide but mostly wade fishing if there is any would be the way to go. We can drive to fish but since our accommodations are in Destin we'd need it to be day trips.

I'd prefer to fly fish as I need to use my new leader straightener.

I don't know anything about Destin but it doesn't look like all that bad of a place. Gotta be some fishing there.

no fishing help but spent many a nights drinking the nights away here....

http://www.ajs-destin.com/index.php

I would check out Destin Harbor and walk around or if you want to get something booked prior, check out these guys... http://www.charterfishingdestin.com/ I never went but my brother tried them out years ago and said it was a good time.

edit: pm mud... I seem to remember he has some links to the area. he should know.

When are you going? The Panhandle can be pretty chilly in the winter. I've been on the beach in 50 degree weather and its not my idea of fun. And once the water cools down the fishing gets really slow. About the only consistent cold weather bite is sheepshead.

That being said, there's alot of options when the fish are biting. You can fling cut bait off the beach or into the passes and catch whiting, redfish, bluefish, flounder and plethora of different trash fish. October / November is a great time to fish the passes for big redfish. Inshore guides can put you onto trout, redfish, flounder, spanish mackerel. Offshore fishing can be king mackerel, amberjack, snapper and grouper, but the snapper and grouper have very limited open seasons these days.

More like the nations nut sack. You need to travel further down the wang in the winter. Tampa/St Pete, give me a shout. I'll guide you one day, and show you where to wade the rest of the time. Jan- Feb/ early march can be pretty cold, like 30's and 40's here. Destin will easily be 10-20 degrees colder. Sometimes a lot more. Plan carefully.

Hugh Conway Guest
    suitcase of cheap beer and some boiled peanuts and you livin' large bro

I thought there was some rule that everyone on TGR has to kick it in Baja and go surfing.

That's what I was afraid of. Since winter last until July here I'm thinking May is a better option.

I'll check out other fish but dicking around trying to get a shot an a tarpon (along with my admittedly shitty casting) doesn't really interest me. Redfish on the other hand.

Between Destin, Navarre and Pensacola Beach, you should find plenty to keep you busy in the surf and in the bay. Tarpon don't really show up until summer but Pompano and Cobia will be running strong in the Gulf in May if you are up for surf fishing.

Where you decide to go will depend on wind as much as anything and that early in the season the wind can be a hudge factor. In any case, best results usually come on a moving tide, find a moving tide early or late, and the fish will be biting.

There are good wadeable flats in Choctawhatchee Bay just about everywhere you look but access is limited. Which flat you pick is mostly a function of the wind direction, which can significantly influence casting.

There is public access on the northwest end of the Mid Bay Bridge, the bottom here is generally hard sand, though you will find some softer spots, and it’s characterized by gentle ridges that tend to run at a slight angle to shore. Early or late in the day, this is a great area to work with a top water fly such as a gurgler or a popping cork with live shrimp if using a spinning reel. Try to be there at first light when the water is glassy calm, and work your fly over the troughs. At night hit the dock lights and cast just inside, you’ll find some big reds on many of these flats

On the south end of the Midbay Bridge, check out the flats on the southeast end of the bridge. It is a very popular fishing spot, particularly on that moving tide early or late in the day. Again, look for and fish the deeper spots. There is some very soft bottom in some areas of this flat, so take your time wading until you get to know the underwater terrain.

On the Gulf side if you've not fished salt before, rip currents are prevalent and you need to understand how to recognize and deal with them. Good forum for info, fishing reports, redneck asshattery here.

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ad-surf-65252/

On the flats and in the surf, you will need to be aware of the presence of stingrays. To reduce the risk, do the “stingray shuffle” and shuffle your feet as you wade.

In the surf or on the piers look for baitfish jumping or areas that look like boiling water. Sometimes these water patches can be quite large. The schools of big fish chasing bait can make the water look like it's a pot of water boiling over. Cast in the general vicinity and you should do fine. Remember that the boiling is probably the panicked baitfish; the predators are around the outside of the boils, so there is no need to cast into the turmoil.

Fishing off the beach is excellent anywhere in the area. There is public access at a number of state parks, piers and the national seashore. Okaloosa Island Pier in Destin, Navarre Pier and Pensacola Beach Pier are all great places if you are short on time and just want to get out. Watch out for the redneck pier rats tho, some of those guys have a bit of an attitude. For more solitude, head west to Pensacola Beach for miles and miles of open space to fish. Fort Pickens is well worth a visit and the pier inside Pensacola Pass is legendary.

If you want to get out farther in the Gulf for Spanish or King Mackerels let me know when you will be around and I can show you around.
    Last edited by mud; 08-15-2014 at 06:25 PM.