Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: CCDB Inline Air

Glad to hear that review on the monarch debonair On a VPP bike. I'm finally going to make the switch. It is by far and away the best shock I have ever owned, keeping in mind that I've only owned the RP 23s but The adjustments on the Cane Creek air are just a little too much for me to worry about ; I always feel like I could tweak something to make it a little better and it bugs me

I've got about 12 days on the Inline on a Knolly Warden. So far, my biggest impression is that it is incredibly sensitive to adjustment. Set up has been fun. Baseline from CC was pretty good, then Knolly's baselines were better (essentially less damping everywhere). I've tweaked a few things from there, weirdly I've opened the LSC even more, and closed the LSR about .25 turns.

This evening I finally was able to open it up at plaid speed on some familiar terrain and it worked better than ever, but that could have been a combo with getting the Warden up to pace as well. There was some magic happening.

Anyhow, the range of adjustments is fucking mind blowing and it feels way more refined than the Fox CTD I've been riding the past 2 years...although thats not surprising.

Good to hear you're liking it. I've got one arriving for the Chilcotin shortly and going to give a MRP Stage a go up front. They'll be replacing a non-CS DBAir and coil Lyrik DH. Definitely a bit concerned that I've only got one ride this weekend to shake them down before 3 days of riding in Moab. I may be contacting you for setup pointers if I get desperate. Hopefully rallying CMG really fast will give me some time to get them in the ballpark of the sweet spot.

Haha. Mojave to CMG was the trail I went plaid on last night. I opened up LSR .25 turn from where it felt $$ in Moab to get a little more pop.
    The toothy rock zones in CMG disappeared, but that's also Endo vs Wardening.

What the heck does 'went plaid on' mean? Is that some sort of #soooenduro phrase?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk7VWcuVOf0

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    What the heck does 'went plaid on' mean? Is that some sort of #soooenduro phrase?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

haaa. 8" carbon rotors?

They've gone plaid!

Really liking the inline on my Bronson now that I've dialled in the settings more. Bumped air pressure up 10 psi, decreased LSC and HSC a bit at a time and now it has a good combination of plushness on chattery rock sections--using most of the travel--but well controlled on doubles, no bottoming out.

I've owned air shocks from SRAM, fox, Marz, xFusion, CC, and I don't see the air spring on the CC as being deficient. So not sure I get jefffreyjim's comment there. Perceived air spring function is highly dependent on compression damping performance.

Doing some geekery and looking at shock options for my SB-66. The inline is leading the pack right now, but the monarch plus RC3 is attractive too. I've talked to a few people with DB airs on their 66s that seem happy. I was told the medium/medium tune was the way to go with a monarch.

I've got the stock CTD on it right now and have been fairly happy with it, but fiddling with the rebound a bit, I have it real close to where I want it, but pedaling through rock gardens (east coast gnar kid) there's a feedback spike happening. I may try and put 1 more click to dampen the rebound a bit, but I really prefer the way the bike feels in every other situation with it tuned as is. I'm not sure if its something I'm really just now noticing after the change, or if its placebo reading people's complaints of the CTD being, "spikey," in its travel. This is probably the most concrete reason I can think of for me looking to spend money on this bike.

Anyone out there have any experience with either the monarch or inline (or a DB air) on a 66?
    Last edited by Anospa; 09-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flowtron's ghost View Post
    Haha. Mojave to CMG was the trail I went plaid on last night. I opened up LSR .25 turn from where it felt $$ in Moab to get a little more pop.
    Ha, I did the same Mojave to MM to CMG run around 4 Sunday so probably beat you to it by a couple hours. CMG amazes me pretty much everytime I'm on it. Warp speed every time and you can feel comfortable about it due to the endless sight lines. Never anyone else on it either. Beats the hell out of dropping Spiro back to the lot. Fat Lip and Black Forest were riding really well as well.

Mind sharing your settings? I've got 2 rides in on mine, starting to feel like I've got it dialed. I'm probably going to put the spacer in and see how it feels with that. Just got back from a quick lunch loop at Glenwild and did some tinkering. Would like a little more pop at times but really love how plush it is and how it soaks things up.

HSR 2
    LSR 9
    HSC 2.5
    LSC 6

wouldn't mind hearing more about those bikes too. numbers/weight/rep on knolly's tick all the boxes. been lusting over the new endo 275. I guess they're just getting out there so haven't heard much/thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by Catch22 View Post
    CMG amazes me pretty much everytime I'm on it. Warp speed every time and you can feel comfortable about it due to the endless sight lines. Never anyone else on it either.
    The unpopularity of CMG is beyond puzzling (not that I'm complaining).

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Mind sharing your settings? I've got 2 rides in on mine, starting to feel like I've got it dialed. I'm probably going to put the spacer in and see how it feels with that. Just got back from a quick lunch loop at Glenwild and did some tinkering. Would like a little more pop at times but really love how plush it is and how it soaks things up.

HSR 2
    LSR 9
    HSC 2.5
    LSC 6
    But of course.
    I'm about 170-175 w pack.
    Air is about 155 on my old fox pump, not sure how accurate it is though. I haven't measure sag at this setting yet, but it looks about 30%,

HSR 2
    LSR 11
    LSC 3
    HSC 1.75

I will probably try 10 LSR on my next ride.

Thanks! You running the spacer? I think I'll be able to open up my hsc and lsc once I get that spacer in. I'm probably 220 geared and am running around 215psi. Getting the right sag but bottom out easily.

Nope, no spacer yet.
    Are you digging the Warden?
    I didn't think I could like a bike better than the Endo, but the Warden is doing it for me. So good at speed. Insane traction. Climbs as good or better...probably better b/c it's so well balanced, the out of the saddle climbing traction is mental.

Oh, I didn't realize you had upgraded. I'm kicking it old school on the 26'er still. Looking to upgrade next season and the warden is towards the top of the list.

Anyone on a Yeti SB95c with a CCDB inline? Thinking of upgrading.

I've got about 12 days on the Inline on a Knolly Warden. So far, my biggest impression is that it is incredibly sensitive to adjustment. Set up has been fun. Baseline from CC was pretty good, then Knolly's baselines were better (essentially less damping everywhere). I've tweaked a few things from there, weirdly I've opened the LSC even more, and closed the LSR about .25 turns.

This evening I finally was able to open it up at plaid speed on some familiar terrain and it worked better than ever, but that could have been a combo with getting the Warden up to pace as well. There was some magic happening.

Anyhow, the range of adjustments is fucking mind blowing and it feels way more refined than the Fox CTD I've been riding the past 2 years...although thats not surprising.
    I noticed how sensitive the CCDBA is to even just one click of LSR. I gave it one less click ofLSR and my bike pops off everything

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Thanks! You running the spacer? I think I'll be able to open up my hsc and lsc once I get that spacer in. I'm probably 220 geared and am running around 215psi. Getting the right sag but bottom out easily.
    You had a chance to play around with the spacer(s) yet dfinn/flow? I lost my little spacer pack and just ran across it today and installed so I'm curious to see how it's going to ride. I'm probably around 205 geared up and have been running psi around 210 on on of the nice lockout Topeak pumps. Overall the shock has been great thus far but I'm always a bit surprised to see that I've used full travel on high speed moderately chunky runs. I haven't felt a harsh bottom anywhere but I want to see if the spacer keeps it riding just a bit higher with some reserve for the occasional bigger hit. I'll try to chime in when I can get some ride time on it. This non-daylight saving shit is killing me.

I added the spacer and have left it in there. I used slightly less psi after adding the spacer. I still bottom out occasionally according to the rubber ring but it seems to happen at appropriate times.

Are these similar to the volume reducers that go in a fox air shock?

As usual, it looks like shock manufacturers aren't proud enough of their tuning options to list them in the shock features......
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Are these similar to the volume reducers that go in a fox air shock?

As usual, it looks like shock manufacturers aren't proud enough of their tuning options to list them in the shock features......
    Yeah, it's just a little rubber waffle thing that you can cut to size. I found a video somewhere showing the install and tried it and it literally takes about 20 seconds to swap in or out. No idea why it's not mentioned more on the product page as spacer usage is included in the factory tunes and talked about readily in the forum area of their site. I'm sure they're unnecessary on a lot of suspension designs that naturally have a bunch of anti squat and bottom out resistance but for a relatively heavy rider on this suspension design I don't think it will hurt. Curious to hear what Joe's doing with his since he's a bit lighter both in lbs and on the bike than I am.

I don't think there's a single frame I've ever owned with an air shock that I didn't want to tweak the spring (usually make it more progressive). I know how the spring works on a regular double barrel air and have zero interest in that shock. But this one looks a little different, is way lighter and if you can screw with the volume of it, that's awesome.

Fox doesn't advertise their spacers yet they come as part of the 'tune' in OEM setups......same with RS monarch spacers. This is one of the most simple things you can do, yet none of the companies advertise it. It's absurd. Especially when both fox and rockshox tout the same option on their forks. Thanks for the info!

Do you have hunt all over the planet to find the waffles or are they pretty easy to get?
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp