Washington Surf Thread

I know you are out there in your cold wetsuit . Westport, Hobuck, La Push, Crescent . Lets post some stokeClick image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0028.jpg 
Views:	862 
Size:	888.6 KB 
ID:	157185
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Just got back from La Push. Had some nice waves despite a bad forecast from Surfline. More of a longboard type day with waves closing out quickly anywhere from waist high to a few random head high waves. We camped on the beach and weirdly got hassled by the security team at 1 am one night for not having our tent permits though we paid for a parking pass. A lot of folks got kicked off the beach in the middle of the night. We surfed all day Friday and Saturday and it was getting crowded for a surf contest when we left Saturday night.

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...989-La-Push-WA

http://nxnwsurf.com/?page_id=47

this won't get you stoked, but I thought this vid was fun because I remember these guys on that day....and the little bit of the Japanese guy riding tiny waves is my friend Archie Endo.

Not WA exactly, but good NW stoke and within shooting distance for a week off.

I miss it out there.

Nice Yetiman. Is the bottom picture of you at Crescent ? This is an iPhone video of nice surf day at Westport back in May when we had a light offshore wind. Westport is only good at dawn /dusk or offshore wind IMO

Just got back from a few days in Westport. The Jetty was typical onshore wind garbage . Went over to the Groins (the break next to the Islander) and it was clean 4 foot waves & surfed till sunset in the rain with 3 guys. This morning did dawn patrol at the Groins and every 20 minutes or so a head high set would come through. Only me and my buddy. As soon as I got out of the water the swell turned to mush. I guess we got lucky. Sunshine too

^I've been thinking about spending more time investigating Washington surf this fall because it eliminates a long and expensive BC ferry and is actually the closest surf to Vancouver.
    I've been to Westport and surfed the jetty and the groins. Jetty is usually hammered by wind, groins needs swell.
    Been to La Push and surfed the beach where you camp, which is actually quite nice. Roll out of the tent and surf, don't really remember what swells work with it though. Just went once with some buddies.

Any other spots around La Push or Westport?
    Also I know how good the Vancouver island side of the straight is on big swells. I imagine the Washington side has to be just as good except with lefts instead of rights. Any info?

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain505 View Post
    Also I know how good the Vancouver island side of the straight is on big swells. I imagine the Washington side has to be just as good except with lefts instead of rights. Any info?
    There's no way to avoid this coming across poorly but please trust I don't mean to be a dick for being a dick's sake here. The strait is almost too complicated (and is it ever fickle!) from a wave-production standpoint, too delicate from a people-to-waves-ratio standpoint, and too important to a group of local surfers who are too important to me for me to try and detail how that place works on the internet for everyone to see. Plus, honestly, it's not that great and you'd probably get better surfing on the coast under almost every situation.

The nice thing about that complexity is that when you have it all figured out you start seeing the same handful of people every time, and your consistent presence tells them you care enough to have worked it out. I enjoyed those folks and they were very good to me while I lived there. I think the 10 hour round trip would be an insurmountable obstacle to really having it dialed on the strait. Maybe I'm wrong....but there was a lot to it, it's a complicated setup and it took me a while to understand where and when to be.

^expected response...i'll put in the time

Quote Originally Posted by flowing alpy View Post
    nice, you ever see the kids surf the tide rush around willipa bay? little curls & breaks right by the river mouth, look like a bunch of boarders on a tight run.
    Never see seen that B.

At Atrain, Hobuck is on the NW corner of the state is probably as good as anything with a long beach break similar imo to Long Beach in Tofino. The break that Yetiman referred to is very fickle and only breaks on certain swells. We have gotten skunked many times there and ended up going to the coast with other options. I was surfing in La Push with some Canadians from Okanagan that said they preferred the Washington coast to Tofino which boggles my mind as I think Tofino is gorgeous .

Heading out to Washington coast next week...(9/22-9/27) We will be camping various spots between Kalaloch and Cape Disappointment. Will be stopping through Westport. Any good recomendations on a shop to rent boards/take a lesson? Is Westport the best place for surf jongs? I've got my own wetsuit and personal gear, and I've been out surfing a few times (OR, HI, Bali, ect), but never in Washington and I am a surf gaper....

Surfshop at Westport is a good shop. If you are coming through Seattle I would rent a board from Todd at Wavehounds particularly if you are going up and down the coast. You don't want to have to drive back to WP just to return a board.

Funny to see small WA surf stoke...

La Push April 2012..
    ( I guess I was the only one paying attention to surfline???) Had the place to myself for 2 days. Water was so F'ing cold. 30 minute sessions max

Just got a new suit and board. No more sewing up holes and freezing. Now I just need work to cooperate and let me stay in around town so I can join everyone.

Has anyone ever caught the infamous Whidbey Island break? I've always missed it with timing but would love to score that someday...