Kiting in the Gorge

So I suck donkey balls, totally JONGeriffic kiteboarder, and Utah is not the best place to learn and/or practice. I'm looking for a good place where the wind is constant and there are plenty of instructional resources, so thinking the Gorge at the end of this month.

Q's for the collective:

1) End of August, reasonable time to go?
    2) River temps that time of year? Wetsuit necessary?
    3) Camping nearby?
    4) Any of you know an outfit that has good instructors? I still suck and need lots of basic training, but am not a total newb.
    5) What size kite? I have a range of kites, and will prolly bring 'em all, but just wondering what to expect.
    6) Other shit to do?
    7) Places to eat, things to see...

Thanks all.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    So I suck donkey balls, totally JONGeriffic kiteboarder, and Utah is not the best place to learn and/or practice. I'm looking for a good place where the wind is constant and there are plenty of instructional resources, so thinking the Gorge at the end of this month.

Q's for the collective:

1) End of August, reasonable time to go?
    2) River temps that time of year? Wetsuit necessary?
    3) Camping nearby?
    4) Any of you know an outfit that has good instructors? I still suck and need lots of basic training, but am not a total newb.
    5) What size kite? I have a range of kites, and will prolly bring 'em all, but just wondering what to expect.
    6) Other shit to do?
    7) Places to eat, things to see...

Thanks all.
    1. August is good.

2. If your good you can get away with a shorty. If you spend a lot of time in the water, you'll probably want a 3/2 full.

3. Tons of camping. I like Homevalley on east wind days and Maryhill when it's nuking.

4. No specifics, just go to the event center and you'll find someone.

5. Bring them all, winds all over the place.

6. Mtbing, hiking, and even skiing.
    It's outdoor sports Mecca.

7. My info is dated, but I always enjoyed Full Sail & happy hour at the Columbia Gorge Hotel.

spook Guest
    make sure to bring an extra set of ribs

Ignorant on water sports but I spent lots of time this spring skiing between Adams and Hood.

3. Your vehicle. There is a whole scene of car camping in town and it's pretty fun. Head down to the river and pick a good spot. Make friends.

6. A bike. I forget the trail that starts on the SW side of town. It takes you to a few small towns and some awesome country side.

7. Double Mountain

Love it out there... you'll have a blast. It's pretty well answered above, but just to add my .02:

1) End of August, reasonable time to go? Yes, I've been there thru September. The Gorge is long, so it's always blowing somewhere.
    2) River temps that time of year? Wetsuit necessary? Yes, usually shorty or one with legs.
    3) Camping nearby? Some cheap B&B's in The Dalles, too.
    4) Any of you know an outfit that has good instructors? I still suck and need lots of basic training, but am not a total newb. Brian Shurton, if he's around
    5) What size kite? I have a range of kites, and will prolly bring 'em all, but just wondering what to expect. bring them all
    6) Other shit to do? rafting Deschutes, ski Adams, eat fruit
    7) Places to eat, things to see... Take the high road between Hood River and The Dalles... lots of ads filmed on it for a reason.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Post Canyon for biking

new face from USA

goto haterus to learn. Real Kite is the best place. The gorge will destroy you. It is by far the most challenging place to kite for someone learning.
    I am heading there on the 11th of sept. Love kiting there, but i brought i couple friends who were learning and they got beat down hard.
    IMO