Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Is the Christian God in Africa only an LPN instead of a full MD?
    Yes.....
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

pathetic.

the entire emory medical system and CDC is fucking pathetic.

some doctor that helped cure those two at atlanta was on cnn this morning and said he couldnt go into specifics of how they were healed.

you freaking idiot ! you cured two people. if it was just one, maybe you got lucky with someone who could beat if but two means you can beat it with your treatment.

fucking emory needs to be on a 30 day seminar for every healthcare person that wants to come and show them step by step, what they did.

if i was a tinfoil hat wearer, i'd start thinking conspriracy.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    pathetic.

the entire emory medical system and CDC is fucking pathetic.

some doctor that helped cure those two at atlanta was on cnn this morning and said he couldnt go into specifics of how they were healed.

you freaking idiot ! you cured two people. if it was just one, maybe you got lucky with someone who could beat if but two means you can beat it with your treatment.

fucking emory needs to be on a 30 day seminar for every healthcare person that wants to come and show them step by step, what they did.

if i was a tinfoil hat wearer, i'd start thinking conspriracy.
    You are, and clearly you are.

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    You are, and clearly you are.

You have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
    Did you watch the interview ?

Then you have no idea what you are talking about.

I've spent plenty of time in hospitals watching relatives get treated with my PHD engineer step father who is usually the smartest guy of any room he walks into(MIT offered him a teaching position long time ago) and we watch these supposedly lights out smart doctors try shit and watch the person's reaction for clues they're doing it right(they nearly killed my mother because it didnt occur to them that a full person dosage for someone weighing 95 lbs wasnt a good idea).
    I gurrantee you these doctors either know the cure and have for a while or they figured it out through trial and error on these two and to keep it to yourselves when millions of people in africa are in a panic is wrong; WAY WRONG !
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

I gurrantee you these doctors either know the cure and have for a while or they figured it out through trial and error on these two and to keep it to yourselves when millions of people in africa are in a panic is wrong; WAY WRONG !
    Even if they knew for sure that zmapp was effective--they don't, of the three people treated with it so far one still died and Brantly was also given a blood transfusion from a 14 y.o. survivor--there isn't nearly enough of it available yet and it requires a complete cold chain right up to the moment of administration.

I've spent plenty of time in hospitals watching relatives get treated
    Did their doctors go on CNN and discuss specifics of their treatments afterwards?.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Oh yeah and it's all because of God and prayers. <roll eyes>

Ebola survivor Dr Kent Brantly credits God for his survival in bizarre press conference
    I have a friend who has spent his surgical career as a missionary surgeon in eastern Congo--his main base being Goma, which has been the epicenter of the ongoing civil war. After residency he moved there full time, coming back to the states when his kids entered high school, after which he and his wife only spent 3 months/year there, continuing past retirement and a heart attack. He just stopped this year. If religion is what gets people to do stuff like that then good for religion. (I realize that it also gets people to slaughter each other--but if it weren't for religion those folks would find some other reason to slaughter each other.) I've always called myself an atheist--it finally dawned on me that I have no more proof that there is no god than religious people have that there is one, that atheism is just another form of faith. So for now call me someone with no faith.

I've spent plenty of time in hospitals watching relatives get treated with my PHD engineer step father who is usually the smartest guy of any room he walks into(MIT offered him a teaching position long time ago) and we watch these supposedly lights out smart doctors try shit and watch the person's reaction for clues they're doing it right(they nearly killed my mother because it didnt occur to them that a full person dosage for someone weighing 95 lbs wasnt a good idea).
    SkiCougar, meet Baron

I know doctors. I am a doctor. If those guys at Emory had something they would be shouting it from the roof tops (after filing a patent application.). Hell, doctors claim they have something all the time when they don't. We have very big egos, in case you hadn't noticed. I suspect that what Emory basically did was supportive care--IV fluids, some form of nutrition, maybe blood products. Remember, the guy walked from the ambulance to the hospital; he wasn't on death's door--I would guess that he was kept in the hospital so long was to make sure he wasn't infectious. What Emory does have was a bunch of doctors and nurses willing to risk their lives to care for Brantly (at least I hope they were all willing--it would be interesting to find out how the team was assembled.) The experience with AIDS showed us that not all medical personnel are so willing--even when the risk is tiny. You talked about doctors trying treatments to see what works. That certainly happens all the time. As you pointed out, doctors don't know everything, and the main reason the two patients wound up at Emory was to give the infectious disease experts there and at the nearby CDC a chance to observe the disease and its response to treatment first hand--a chance to learn. If you want to find someone who is certain they know how to cure you, you have to go to a faith healer.
    Last edited by old goat; 08-22-2014 at 10:38 AM.

well its good that these two got better
    watch out for snakes

NPR was saying yesterday that the biggest thing they observed was a very precipitous reduction in electrolytes and severe malnutrition. They compensated with IV fluids and liquid nutritional supplementation high in protein.

Ski cougar is an absolute moron. (but hey! his step-dad is a genius!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    NPR was saying yesterday that the biggest thing they observed was a very precipitous reduction in electrolytes and severe malnutrition. They compensated with IV fluids and liquid nutritional supplementation high in protein
    I have read that a lot of the Ebola deaths are from dehydration from severe diarrhea. Hundreds of thousands of infants die in Africa every year due to diarrhea, easily treated in the West.

If they had a cure they could effectively deliver then they would be doing it. But they don't, so they won't.

First, three people is not a big enough sample size to know if the drug did anything at all, never mind that one of them died anyway. Second, the company that produces the stuff is currently out, but they are working on making more. They can't just churn this stuff out like cheese whiz. It's a very complex process. Third, sub-Saharan Africa has an ugly history of medical experiments done by westerners on an unknowing or unwilling population with some grizzly results. Despite the fear of Ebola in some areas, there is significant skepticism towards western medicine, and even many places where the local pop. doesn't believe the disease is even real. Think it would be easy to treat people in that situation? You aware that a quarantine clinic in Monrovia was overrun by a mob this week? That whole area is now under quarantine by the army. Thousands of people.

Get a grip bro.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Just had a friend who I've kind of lost touch with leave me a long voicemail, saying that he's fleeing the US for New Zealand because ebola is about to break out big here and it's going to lead to riots, mass starvation, and martial law, and that I need to start stockpiling food and guns.

"Tell me, doctor: would you say it's time to... crack open each other's heads and feast on the goo inside?"
    "Yes Kent, I would."
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    Just had a friend who I've kind of lost touch with leave me a long voicemail, saying that he's fleeing the US for New Zealand because ebola is about to break out big here and it's going to lead to riots, mass starvation, and martial law, and that I need to start stockpiling food and guns.

"Tell me, doctor: would you say it's time to... crack open each other's heads and feast on the goo inside?"
    "Yes Kent, I would."
    The collective IQ of the USA is about to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post

"Yes Kent, I would."
    This is the funniest thing I have read all day, thanks for sharing. Hopefully this friend is not a breeder.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Anyone but me buy TKMR three weeks ago?

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tkmr/in...t?timeframe=1m

" If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" - Anton Chigurh

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    Anyone but me buy TKMR three weeks ago?

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/tkmr/in...t?timeframe=1m

" If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use was the rule?" - Anton Chigurh
    Probably a good time to sell. Either their product will turn out to be worthless or it will be so expensive to produce that Africa won't be able to afford it.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Hopefully this friend is not a breeder.
    are you worried about the human sheep cross breeds?

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    are you worried about the human sheep cross breeds?
    Here in vt we've been working on human sheep breeding for generations. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    get paid

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Here in vt we've been working on human sheep breeding for generations. ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900V using TGR Forums
    just imagine what's going to come out of polyass with all the chicken fucking

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Have you been to a Whole Foods lately? They have everything you need to live forever, and even a sustainably sourced brown paper bag to fill with shit, ignite and leave on your evil Western medicine-practicing doctor's porch.

I agree that we aren't going to see a domestic outbreak of it, but I do think that there will be more than a handful of infected people trickling into the country over the next few months.
    Are the anti-vaccine nuts storming quarantine centers and kidnapping the patients? Would be news to me if they are.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    just imagine what's going to come out of polyass with all the chicken fucking
    ha!

get paid

Article from the NY Times about what life (and death) is like for Ebola workers in Africa. 15 nurses dead at one clinic.
    http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Oli...&view=ZW50aXR5
    We keep hearing about how hard Ebola is to catch. Compared to HIV or Hepatitis C it is frighteningly easy to catch. The great majority of health care workers who are stuck by a needle from an AIDS patient (myself included) do not contract AIDS. The great majority of health care workers who deal with the blood of Hep C patients--particularly techs and nurses in dialysis clinics don't get Hep C. I operated on hundreds of Hep C patients without getting infected, using the same precautions I would use on any other patient. Sure, Ebola is hard to catch if you aren't around an Ebola patient, but if a family member gets the disease or if you are caring for a patient, contact with fluids is unavoidable and if you are caring for enough patients sooner or later the barrier will fail. When caring for desperately ill patients there often isn't enough time to protect yourself, and doctors and nurses--especially nurses--are not going to let someone die while they take the time to properly protect themselves. Also keep in mind that the government mandates each hospital to have one isolation room. One. I'm not advocating anyone run for the hills, or New Zealand (although the more people who do the more pow for me). I would just like the authorities to be a little more honest about the potential threat. The CDC does take this stuff very seriously but they do us no favors by giving us false reassurance. Add epidemics to the long list of things we are ill-prepared for. (What do you think life in the Bay Area would be like after a 9.0 earthquake?) And frankly once a disaster reaches a certain magnitude, no amount of planning will cope with it--that's why it's a disaster. We have been spared the ravages of war on our soil, of famine, epidemics--stuff a good part of the world has had to deal with. Don't expect it to last forever. We have not been blessed by god--we have just been lucky. Have a nice rest of the weekend. A beautiful sunny, calm day here at Donner Lake--can't decide if I want to kayak or ride my bike.

Glad I don't live in a third world country like Southern California

Highly contagious tuberculosis patient is off his meds and wandering around Santa Barbara
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cops-sea...-tuberculosis/

West Nile Virus confirmed in Riverside County
    http://www.thevillagenews.com/story/80244/

West Nile is the most overblown thing ever. Well maybe second after ebola.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    West Nile is the most overblown thing ever. Well maybe second after ebola.
    Come on. I know you were around for New Coke.
    I still call it The Jake.