Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

ebola outbreak- is it time to head for the hills?

this thing scares me. they keep saying it is not easily transmissible yet those in the medical field taking extraordinary measures continue to catch it. and now they're flying two infected patients to america. several weeks ago i wondered if i should start stocking canned goods for an extended trip to nowhere. now i'm seriously considering it (the stockpiling, not the actual trip, yet).
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Bringing them to Atlanta seems smart.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

aren't you kind of in the hills already?

NPR interview with the head of the CDC here had some interesting points, as in medical folks not just taking extraordinary measures, but 'meticulous'.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    this thing scares me. they keep saying it is not easily transmissible yet those in the medical field taking extraordinary measures continue to catch it. and now they're flying two infected patients to america. several weeks ago i wondered if i should start stocking canned goods for an extended trip to nowhere. now i'm seriously considering it (the stockpiling, not the actual trip, yet).
    Sounds like Ebola is turning you Mormon.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Hugh Conway Guest
    find a nice cabin or tent in the sierra where you can get hantavirus.

I heard Tahoe has the Bubonic Plague in its sqirlz.

= Hillz no good

Note: "extraordinary measures/meticulousness" in the field/bush/third world conditions is a far cry from what most of us are used to. The potential for exposure via the known routes of infection are much higher, and no matter how well trained and aware you may be, the uncontrolled and unpredictable environment can easily trump all your skill and technology. Granted, even with the most modern facilities and infrastructure shit happens, but jumping to the conclusion that sick medical staff = uncontrollable transmission everywhere is dangerously inaccurate.

i'm not saying it's uncontrollable transmission everywhere. just saying they don't seem to have as good a grasp on things as they say they do. also, with the greatest defense we have against the disease being the vast oceans between us and africa, bringing two infected personnel here on a plane just doesn't seem smart. even so, it does seem like it is going to get out of control in africa which means it would only be a matter of time before someone ended up on our soil with the disease.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    Bringing them to Atlanta seems smart.
    I don't think you could get into Emory even if you had Ebola.

Nice to see my Alma Mater is one of three in the entire US capable of handling a patient like that. Doesn't hurt the CDC's HQ is on campus too.

Hope they break this virus' code.
    I still call it The Jake.

While I agree that people shouldn't be losing their minds over this yet, the increasingly loud refrain of "remain calm, all is well," makes me think we have the makings of a true pandemic on our hands, but nobody will admit it until is is demonstrably true to the world's population.

The good news - if there is any good news about Ebola - is that you don't spread it when you don't have symptoms. So you can't get it from someone who's healthy. You can only get it from someone who is really quite sick with the disease. And you can't get it through the airborne route. So it takes intense contact with body fluids of someone who's very sick.
    What is intense contact with body fluids? Seems like if that was the case it wouldn't be hard to stop the spread at all?

Yes, run for your life. That is unquestionably the thing to do whenever the talking heads on TV tell you to be afraid of something.

Seriously, powdork, do you have any idea how manyu deadly diseases are already out there that you have an actual chance of coming into contact with? Ebola is absolutely not something you should worry about unless you're planning a trip to Sierra Leone. Instead, worry about brushing your teeth, and getting some exercise if you want to be concerned about you rhealth.

Highly virulent, low transmissibility diseases don't result in Outbreak scenarios- that's going to require aerosolization and why you should be more concerned with pandemic flu than Ebola.

Mtngirl, direct skin contact and exposure through mucous membranes is req'd, saliva, excrement, blood. No, it shouldn't be hard to stop but where these outbreaks are occurring the population isn't exactly stable.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I'm more concerned about the fact that so many government agencies, NGO's and media outlets are telling people not to be afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Highly virulent, low transmissibility diseases don't result in Outbreak scenarios- that's going to require aerosolization and why you should be more concerned with pandemic flu than Ebola.

Mtngirl, direct skin contact and exposure through mucous membranes is req'd, saliva, excrement, blood. No, it shouldn't be hard to stop but where these outbreaks are occurring the population isn't exactly stable.
    Sad for them, then, but for us privileged folk, just do not get cozy with someone who was just in Africa?

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    Sad for them, then, but for us privileged folk, just do not get cozy with someone who was just in Africa?
    Hey....if you got a case of jungle fever....I say go for it girl!!!!
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    not exactly. Just don't get cozy with someone who was just in Africa AND happens to be deathly ill and bleeding out of their eyes and ears. Unlike HIV, Ebola only spreads from contact with someone experiencing symptoms.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm more concerned about the fact that so many government agencies, NGO's and media outlets are telling people not to be afraid.
    They all want you to be afraid of something (the Terrorz! the Immigrantz!, the glutenz!), Ebola just isn't on the agenda, yet.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    not exactly. Just don't get cozy with someone who was just in Africa AND happens to be deathly ill and bleeding out of their eyes and ears. Unlike HIV, Ebola only spreads from contact with someone experiencing symptoms.
    So this thing really is only going to spread to people who do not understand that illness can be contagious and people taking care of infected people.

Makes sense, its not really that scary....

weren't people freaking out about ebola some 20 years ago, and then we realized that it is not that kind of danger to us? Did everyone just forget?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

While this is a serious disease, the rest is mostly media do what it does best, stirring up the masses. While it sucks to have Ebola, even in African there are not that many cases. You are much more likely to die of the flu, or a bee sting, or lightening (don't go swimming at Venice Beach).

Actually, don't go swimming in at Venice Beach is a good idea, Santa Monica Bay has some nasties growing in it.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Catchy tune from Liberia
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Do you really ever need an excuse to head for the hills? What else would you do in late summer for fun?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Practice your bugout for the real thing.
    watch out for snakes