Caribbean with the whole familiy (parents, wife, kids, etc)?

Yesterday my wife came home after a visit to my parents. As they will be married for 50years (!!!) this December, they were thinking of taking the family and kids (= my brother + gf, my wife + 2 kids (6, 9yo) to some place neat. Great idea of course. But now this is where I nearly fell off my seat… My wife said that they had mentioned the Caribbean!

Now, please keep in mind that we’ve never been there and we know hardly anything about the region, except for what we learnt from Pirates of the Carribean ;-) . As a surfer I can get very psyched on the idea of course. BUT… then came the question of what to do. I guess a little beach time would (and should) be in the picture + snorkeling with the kids would be awesome, and I’d love a day or two in the surf but I don’t see all of us plodding to the beach day in, day out. I guess my parents would like to do a round of golf when everyone’s at the beach. What else is there to do? I guess I'm blown out of the water a bit on this and find myself on web pages with all inclusive resorts + accompanying activites (pools, water slides, kids entertainment etc). For some reason that doesn't resonate that well (or maybe I have the wrong impression of these types of resorts).

So, help me outline a sweet family trip for young and old (6yo - 75yo). I’m guessing a week or so there. Fly in and out from the Netherlands i.e. Aruba/ Bonaire would be logical but the Caribbean is big… All are in good health *knock wood* but not everyone loves sea/ beaches.
    -where should we go?
    - what kind of activities would you recommend?

St. John is where we've been going for over a dozen years... with parents and kids. I've been to Aruba four times and many Caribbean islands, and still prefer St. John over all others. No golf, but an amazing place. If you want more info, PM me.

Here's a thread on it from a few years ago: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...oke?highlight=

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P4200042.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	157094
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

ya st john is a beautiful place,, check out the family bungalows at cinnoman bay campground,,, theres a lil break there too.... but wow that whole caribbean question of where to go is a hard one to choose,,, maybe get a map and throw a dart to pick your choice.... turks n caicos,,,,, jamaca st lucia,,, tortola, jost van dyke,,,,,, cuba,,, hard choice but good luck

Talk about 1st world choices though... ;-)

shit man maybe stop thinking caribean and thing zanzibar ,,,, they have golf there if I remember and it is beyond dream like. but ya first world problems for sure.

The Caribbean can be quite impressive. Further proof:

Pick something on the eastern fringe where the swell can hit. december can be very good, apparently.

edit: and if they don't love beaches, then why pick the caribbean in the first place.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

So back from some surf in Bretagne (Brittany for you english speakers). Good times.

It turns out their idea has some more direction than I originally heard via the grapevine:
    Obviously not an unlimited budget.
    And instead of the Caribean, they were talking 'Canary Islands or similar' (grapevine: "Oops!").

Thanks for the great suggestions and my apologies for the wild goose chase.
    I am now looking for 'warm, sunny, affordable' destinations (with beach/ sea) for christmas but will refrain from posing that queston here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonically_Neglected View Post
    And instead of the Caribean, they were talking 'Canary Islands or similar' (grapevine: "Oops!").
    I've been to Tenerife... spent a week windsurfing in October 1989, so I'm hardly an expert. I actually drove around quite a bit and it was an amazing "mini-continent" with some very interesting micro climates and terrain. There's a 12k' volcano in the middle as well... It's getting heavily developed, but it's Spanish, so food is at least decent. I'd go back.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

These Canary Islands?

Well, that is gonna suck

Yeah, I know. Pretty shitty, eh? ;-)

Rent a sailboat and cruise the BVI? Tho not sure if hanging with young kids in tight quarters would be an ideal vacation for some.

Going to Antigua in October with the wife and baby. Rented a house above half moon bay for a thousand bucks and we'll be splitting it with another couple we are friends with. I'm not a surfer but will be be fishing and chilling. No idea what to expect but can't wait. Need to rent a car actually, hope that doesn't break the bank
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Tenerife was great despite sucky surf: nice warm weather, sunny but no surf except for the 1st of january. Caught some powerful (coming from a Northsea reference) nicely lined up beach break that was HH during the highest sets. Great stuff, too bad there wasn't more opportunity!

Antigua in October was pretty awesome and cheap the way we did it. 1000 for vrbo house rental and 400 for rental car. Food was expensive at the grocery store but not terrible. Wish the house had ac though. Good permit fishing and great baby tarpon fishing. Seaweed covered half of the beaches, that was a bummer but we found some that were fine. Secret beaches added to intrigue. We would go back
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.