Noob Kayak wanted, any recommendations?

I want to get my wife an inexpensive kayak to leave at the reservoir near where we go on weekends. Cannonsville reservoir in Ny. I have only used the open top ones at the beach that are really heavy. Can I get her something that is not atrocious for under $500? Not looking for full on Eskimo roll river Kayak, just something stable she can tool around in.
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

Sounds like a sit inside recreational boat would fit the bill. Wilderness systems makes a boat called the Pungo, worth checking out. There are many others of course.

Look for a used one cheap at the end of summer, score a deal with paddle and life jacket, make sure it fits your wife.

Any paddling clubs/forums near you?
    Last edited by scottyb; 07-31-2014 at 09:06 PM.
    watch out for snakes

Not sure if you are a Costco member or have one close. But something like this would work. 50 lbs

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1406862267.078956.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	338.5 KB 
ID:	157091

Or something like this. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1406862430.274487.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	328.4 KB 
ID:	157092

Nice thing about the "sit in" boats, if things get a little rough it sheds water better than the sit on top but they still have large openings so people don't feel trapped.

Yes this pelican looks like the ticket, she likes the "sit in" boats but I did not know what to call them
    Day Man. Fighter of the Night Man. Champion of the Sun. Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone.

The sit on top or shit on top is fine for somethings such as hot chicks slatherd up with suntan oil at the beach or fat dumpy white rednecks who think they are the Rambo of fishing. The sit in side or kayak is the default name of all other boats since most folks are easily cornfused.

Not to be overlooked are the category of inflatable kayaks, ie IK or Duckies. These are handy as they can be deflated and rolled up much like Hughs sex doll and will fit into a trunk or even a duffle bag.

Remember the boat you choose sez a lot bout u so always get the red one.
    watch out for snakes

My wife paddles a Perception Swifty on local flat water and slow rivers. Stable as can be, holds a straight line, only weighs about 35 pounds, and 300 bucks at Dicks. She liked it so much we bought a 2nd one to lend to friends. You can spend a lot of money on nicer touring boats, but for tooling around on a lake in the sun, you'll just be wasting your money, probably. Now, if you're wife actually wants to spend a lot of time on big lakes with lots of wind, a longer touring boat may be more appropriate.
    I'm in a band. It's called "Just the Tip."

Emotion glide sport is another option. 37-40#, 10ft boat. I picked up at a labor day sale for $200. Stable, reasonably fast for a cheap rec boat, tracks well, maneuverable. I'm six foot but with very long legs and fit just fine. You could get a little lighter with a shorter boat, which would work for the average wife.

Yeah, for tooling around on lakes and mellow rivers get a basic sit-in that's around 9-10 feet, 35-40 pounds, no rudder. It should have foot pedals but don't worry about a spray skirt. If you have some extra cash spend it on a nice fiberglass or carbon paddle rather than the heavy flexy aluminum/plastic ones.

Quote Originally Posted by kokomas View Post
    Yes this pelican looks like the ticket, she likes the "sit in" boats but I did not know what to call them
    In kayaking parlance that would be a "recreational kayak" in the 10-12' length it would be short & light, slow & probably wouldn't track worth a shit but better than a ww boat, this is probably what you want cuz its light and easy to deal with, if you get a spray deck you can paddle without getting wet, the large cockpits are very easy to get out of

next would be the "Day touring" in the 12-15' length 50lbs better speed & tracking probably 2 hatches with enough room to carry gear for the weekend

next is the "touring kayak" up wards of 16' in length 50-60 lbs depending on the build will be fast & track very well and enough room for 3 weeks worth of gear, at 17+ I find my boat to be the limit of what I can get on the roof of a car solo and out on the coast i have to drag it over rocks & barnacles

A sit on top is just called a "sit on top kayak" if its warm and you don't mind getting wet they are ok
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know