I need a new seat, what's good?

Sprocket Rockets jong here...

I knead a knew seat.

After reading Tuck's grip thread I realized that there are way more active summertime assholes here than in Ski & Snowboard.

I figured said assholes would have awesome advice.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I went with a specialized last year. If you go to a shop that sells them, they should have a little device that measures your ass (not nearly as interesting as it sounds) and they tell you what size of their saddles to consider. I have been reasonably happy with what I bought (Henge?).
    Last edited by Danno; 07-30-2014 at 02:39 PM.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9oEGA.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	221.1 KB 
ID:	157060

???

There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

I have two WTB Rocket Vs, a lower end model and the fancy carbon one. The nicer one has less padding, which you think would be worse, it's not. More padding means you have more squishy shit pushing on your perineum and cutting off blood flow - I'd rather not have my dick fall asleep after an hour. I'm not beholding to them though, get what fits and feels good, I like the love channel of WTB though.

After you get something that fits, much of seat comfort has to do with angle and fore/aft position. I mostly only sit on the seat for climbing, so mine is slightly angled down, that way on an incline I'm comfortably on my sit bones - if I run it totally level it causes the aforementioned numbing issue. Also, running a saddle too far back can cause you to scoot forward, sometimes unconsciously, and then you're off your sit bones and having trouble again.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

I had a Rocket V, and it caused some serious taint pain.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^ Mine did too until I fixed the angle/position issue. Curious though, what do you have now?
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Swine View Post
    ^^ Mine did too until I fixed the angle/position issue. Curious though, what do you have now?
    Specialized Henge. But your point re angle/position is a good one.

This one looks comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

A lot of shops have a WTB saddle demo program, maybe call around and see if a shop near you is doing it. Otherwise, Specialized and Bontrager have comfort guarantees, so if the saddle you choose isn't working out you can return it.

That said, in my experience in shops, the WTB Rocket V is about as close as it gets to one size fits all. Its got a little channel and a little ramp up at the back so you can scoot your ass around and change the angle of your pelvis if you/re feeling a bit uncomfortable on a long ride. I personally like really flat saddles like the WTB Silverado. Saddles are super personal fit-wise, so expect to see this post go a few pages with everybody's personal pick.

i've ridden old school flites for years but recently switched. really happy with the ergon sm3. i have the sr3 on the road bike. you'll need to measure your sit bones and get the right size.

Oh just go down to your LBS and try them all out, then pick the best one.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    This one looks comfy.

yes indeed. nylon lawn chair mashup with barcalounger. you too can fall asleep while pedaling!

in reality:

doesn't much matter what works for me unless you are me, and if you were me you'd know what works for you. in my case it's the Rocket V but in your case it may be the Tioga Spyder or the Sheldon Brown He-Man Saddle.

this thread topic hasn't ever been covered before either, so please don't search the forum archives!

I can sit on pretty much any saddle but its got to be slammed forward and slightly nose high, a cycling coach even told me I looked better on the bike as compared to a totaly flat saddle of course ... everyone is different
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I went with a specialized last year. If you go to a shop that sells them, they should have a little device that measures your ass (not nearly as interesting as it sounds) and they tell you what size of their saddles to consider. I have been reasonably happy with what I bought (Henge?).
    You can build the measurement device at home with a piece of thin, dense foam bigger than you butt and a couple of BBs. Sit on foam for a minute or so with hands on knees, toss BBs into divots left by sitz bones, measure distance between BBs, try out saddles that size at LBS.

Then get the red one

I need a new seat, what's good?

Try: Selle Italia Flite, Fizik Gobi or the various WTB saddles.

I end up coming back to the old Flite every time. This one: http://www.wiggle.com/selle-italia-f...iginal-saddle/
    Last edited by 54-46; 07-31-2014 at 09:05 AM.

I got tthe sella italia c2. It's not as narrow as the Gobi, or flight but not considered wide either. Most importantly it's got some padding and gel for my bony ass, a nice leather saddle for a reasonable price
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Terry Ti Fly

Done.

I have the Cane Creek ThudBuster with a Serfas RX seat -- next best thing to full suspension.