Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skimaxpower View Post
    Seems like this would depend on BSL?? With the tour mode lever underfoot, a small boot might leave too little clearance and leave you with a crampon banging into the tour mode lever?

The Marker crampon looks designed to avoid this. (Probably only a problem for small boots anyway.)

Perhaps. No issue with a 304 and 310 bsl

Just get the Dremel out if there is.

Quote Originally Posted by JeppeJeppeJ View Post
    Got my new skis and Kingpin bindings last week. Going skiing after Christmas, I'll report back with my findings and test it against my Guardian bindings.
    Which boot you will be using?

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Interesting. I would have thought, due to the design, that the Kingpin would be much better than the Beast in terms of heel engagement.
    I thought the same thing (eliminating use of heel pins is good) but don't trust a first gen binding (particularly the heel rollers) & ordered CAST.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I thought the same thing (eliminating use of heel pins is good) but don't trust a first gen binding (particularly the heel rollers) & ordered CAST.
    Also thinking to buy CAST to have best downhill performance. And probably boot will be scarpa freedom sl.
    I was looking into sth2 from salomon but this binding is not MNC type so ot will not support scarpa boot. Ahhhhh!!
    Any idea which binding to get?

Marker Lord (there's a CAST setup on Gearswap) or Soli Warden.

You all realize that like the Duke, with the Kingpin you still need to switch the lever underfoot by hand. There is no way to transition ski/tour or tour/ski without doing acrobatics or removing the ski. One more plus for Dynafit/G3/Fritschi if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    You all realize that like the Duke, with the Kingpin you still need to switch the lever underfoot by hand. There is no way to transition ski/tour or tour/ski without doing acrobatics or removing the ski. One more plus for Dynafit/G3/Fritschi if you ask me.
    As for sentence 1. Yes.

As to sentence 2. No acrobatics or contortions or ski removal needed for tour to ski. I'll see if its possible to do the same for ski to tour

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    Also thinking to buy CAST to have best downhill performance. And probably boot will be scarpa freedom sl.
    I was looking into sth2 from salomon but this binding is not MNC type so ot will not support scarpa boot. Ahhhhh!!
    Any idea which binding to get?
    I'm running cast with freedom sl and solly. Well atomic ffg but it's basically a solly s912/914/916. Lots of adjust for the toe. Freedom sl is my hill boot and I use it with a s912ti on my protests as well. Again plenty of toe height adjust. Haven't toured on my cast set up this yr but quite a few days last yr after I sold my fat dyna fiddle ski. CAST is awesome. Dynafits I usually take off and bang snow out from under toe without thinking just habitual routine. Now same with CAST. Take ski off in transition and clean out snow with rad toe lever without thinking. Transitions minimally slower

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    2. No acrobatics or contortions or ski removal needed for tour to ski. I'll see if its possible to do the same for ski to tour
    Okay. I've never tried them except in the local shop on display. Then how do you go from tour to ski? Doesn't the lever underfoot need to be flipped over? That's what I couldn't get over, it just looked like the Duke lever, but a tech toe and sliding heel. I think they look rad, but I'd like to see a real demo (video perhaps Lee ) showing how to make the transitions.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Okay. I've never tried them except in the local shop on display. Then how do you go from tour to ski? Doesn't the lever underfoot need to be flipped over? That's what I couldn't get over, it just looked like the Duke lever, but a tech toe and sliding heel. I think they look rad, but I'd like to see a real demo (video perhaps Lee ) showing how to make the transitions.
    You're correct that the lever must be moved by hand and that'll be a suggestion to put in a lip so it can be actuated by pole tip.

Even so moving the lever by hand isn't a problem. Take off the pack. Bend down and flip the lever to go from walk to ski which moves the heel piece forward of course. Stomp heel into heelpiece. Lift one foot up with ski attached and strip skin. Do the same with other ski.

You sure you're not missing something? It's simple enough to not need a video and is basically the same as a Dynafit except needing to bend down to hit the ski to tour lever

The Duke is a frame binding, so you can't flip the lever while you have your heel (and half of the binding) lifted. The Kingpin has no boot connection to the heel in touring mode, so you can theoretically just reach under your boot and flip the lever to scoot the heel forward.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    The Duke is a frame binding, so you can't flip the lever while you have your heel (and half of the binding) lifted. The Kingpin has no boot connection to the heel in touring mode, so you can theoretically just reach under your boot and flip the lever to scoot the heel forward.
    I've not used the Duke but yeah, can confirm the last part is the case

^^^ come to think of it, possibly no more challenging than trying to fit the end of a ski pole into the old volcano style Dynafiddle heel

Quote Originally Posted by çayzi View Post
    And probably boot will be scarpa freedom sl.
    Fret not, I use my touring soles in my SL's with my STH2's. No release issues thus far (has released when I have thought it should have, has never released when I thought it shouldn't have). Check the Freedom SL thread, other use it with bindings like the FFG and other gen STH

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    As for sentence 1. Yes.

As to sentence 2. No acrobatics or contortions or ski removal needed for tour to ski. I'll see if its possible to do the same for ski to tour
    i think it is more or less the same for changing both directions. if the lever would be designed differently, it would probably work rather well with the pole, but it doesnt like it is now, so you basically have to use your hands (i know it is technically possible to do it with the pole, but that is so hard/annoiying that it is always quicker to get down and use a hand).

i also never got why i would want to change mode without taking the skins of anyways. i know lots of people think that is important, but i never need to change from tour to ski mode when i dont need to take my skins off anyways...

freak~[&]

Quote Originally Posted by freak View Post
    i also never got why i would want to change mode without taking the skins of anyways. i know lots of people think that is important, but i never need to change from tour to ski mode when i dont need to take my skins off anyways...
    The point is to do both without taking skis off. I have two reasons for doing this.
    1 is the personal experience that toe pins are finicky and prone to problems with snow. Skinning uphill is a good way to rotate the boot and assure a solid interface. Not removing the ski at change over is a good way to guarantee you're in properly and that you won't pop out two turns into your run.
    2 is a possibly misguided desire to save a few movements and thus energy. Backpack comes off, skins get ripped, binding locked down, backpack back on, away we go. No floundering around walking in pow. A few kj saved.

I don't take my skins off or put them on without drinking a beer. So I got a few extra kJ to burn.

I'd love to laugh at the speed queer that wants to put their skins on without taking the ski off.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel View Post
    The point is to do both without taking skis off. I have two reasons for doing this.
    1 is the personal experience that toe pins are finicky and prone to problems with snow. Skinning uphill is a good way to rotate the boot and assure a solid interface. Not removing the ski at change over is a good way to guarantee you're in properly and that you won't pop out two turns into your run.
    2 is a possibly misguided desire to save a few movements and thus energy. Backpack comes off, skins get ripped, binding locked down, backpack back on, away we go. No floundering around walking in pow. A few kj saved.

Same reason as nickel

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I don't take my skins off or put them on without drinking a beer. So I got a few extra kJ to burn.

I'd love to laugh at the speed queer that wants to put their skins on without taking the ski off.
    What a strange so typically TGR angst ridden thing to say. I can't do it (put skins on without taking skis off). Don't really think that it saves much energy but I admire those with the skill to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'm running cast with freedom sl and solly. Well atomic ffg but it's basically a solly s912/914/916. Lots of adjust for the toe. Freedom sl is my hill boot and I use it with a s912ti on my protests as well. Again plenty of toe height adjust.
    So you are saying that STH2 would match my Scarpa Freedom SL boot not worrying to much about pre-release or release not triggering since STH2 is not MNC certified?

If you arnt worrying about release or pre-release you can ski any boot in any binding...

But worrying about those two things is why we have bindings in the first place.

The shop I bought mine from is a 2 hour drive...they have a jig, but if there's a paper template pdf I can mount them here. Shop said there was no paper template in the box. is there a template pdf out there? google sez no so far.

Another question: based on wildsnow, I thought there would be a metal shelf to install on the boot heel. There's none in the box. ?

REI in downtown Seattle has both models in stock as of an hour ago.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Another question: based on wildsnow, I thought there would be a metal shelf to install on the boot heel. There's none in the box. ?
    The Dynafit Beast has a metal horseshoe attachment that is retrofitted to your tech compatible boot. The Kingpin doesn't require a similar retrofit.