Page 21 of 38 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 ... LastLast
    subscribed, very good info, keep it going, thanks.

Does anybody else have an issue with the toe guide/bumper/cheat things and their boot compatibility. I am in a Scarpa Mobe, and have to have the bumpers basically as far forward as possible to make contact with the front of the boot to stop them when stepping in. When I go into walk mode though, those bumpers are so close to the toe then that they rub when I take a stride and restrict the total movement of the stride (basically the boot can only get to about 45 degree). Has anybody else experienced similar issues with their setup? Never had that issue with a Dynafit with the cheats in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by gregorymaz View Post
    Does anybody else have an issue with the toe guide/bumper/cheat things and their boot compatibility. I am in a Scarpa Mobe, and have to have the bumpers basically as far forward as possible to make contact with the front of the boot to stop them when stepping in. When I go into walk mode though, those bumpers are so close to the toe then that they rub when I take a stride and restrict the total movement of the stride (basically the boot can only get to about 45 degree). Has anybody else experienced similar issues with their setup? Never had that issue with a Dynafit with the cheats in the past.
    Th guide likes to stay back after adjusting since there is no return. Back the screw out and tap it lightly with a rubber mallet that should reopen the guide for re-adjustment. I have some Skookums that clear the guides, though they are well worn, but they do have the same lower as the Mobe.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Anyone had toe icing issues with Kingpins? I skied mine today, just 4 resort laps of about 700m, temperatures zero to -5C. On each lap both toes released fine except at the end of the last one - one had ice built up so it wouldn't open fully when the lever was pressed. I think I popped the heel then torqued out of the toe in the end, and the lever still wouldn't push down by hand. Now I'm home the ice has melted and it's fine.

Could this be cause for concern in a fall? I guess it could mean that extra force is required to open the toe.

Otherwise, the bindings ski solid. I like.

Yes. Just like all other spring toe tech bindings. Susceptible to debris under the springs can cause pre-release and false positive stepin.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindahl View Post
    Yes. Just like all other spring toe tech bindings. Susceptible to debris under the springs can cause pre-release and false positive stepin.
    Weird. In 4 years I've never seen it happen to Plums to the point where the toe won't release. Today it happened on short laps. What's the solution?

Quote Originally Posted by LC View Post
    Weird. In 4 years I've never seen it happen to Plums to the point where the toe won't release. Today it happened on short laps. What's the solution?
    Some type of silicon spray, PAM, wax, that will stop the snow and ice from setting up there is all I have ever heard of

You're saying that the toe wouldn't open, correct? The usually problem is that the toe wings won't fully close, but I don't see why the opposite couldn't happen under the right circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    You're saying that the toe wouldn't open, correct?
    Right. I went to take my skis off and couldn't push the toe lever down because so much ice had packed in there. At the top of each run I cycled the lever up & down fine like always to check pin engagement.

I'll try to clear ice whenever I can from now on but given that was just from a few gondola laps (10-15 minutes each), the same thing could easily happen during one long descent, or when lapping chairlifts and not removing skis each run.

Earn Your Turns does mention this "unlikely but possible, icing issue" in their Kingpin review but I didn't see anything about it elsewhere. So watch out folks.

Oh, misread that, oops!

Gondy laps, huh? Perhaps when the skis are in the door all the snow in front of the binding slides down and settles on the front of the toe.

So they've been out awhile, if you're using them how is the retention at speed on groomers. Trying to set up a 1 travel ski setup that would allow me to tour and resort ski, which always involves groomers with the family. Would rather take two skis than tour on a duke type setup. Prerelease at speed is one of my nightmares- been there, done that, don't want to get hurt again. High din not an issue, can stay in at normal settings in most alpine bindings. Will they stay on or will I drop a ski. Rather get real word feedback than conjecture. Thanks

I've been out for a couple weeks out on groomers, at mission ridge on the east side of the cascades in Washington while I've waited for the snow to build up and settle in the backcountry, and I have to say moving to the kingpins from the Dukes on my annex 118 has been a God sent. I was nervous about pre release also but by the end of the first day I was skiing as fast as I've been on dukes, and the weight difference has been incredible. Best 600$ I've spent in a while. The only question I've had is the heel release seems very stiff I'm having to use my hands instead of my poles because it's flexing them too much. Is this happening to anyone else? My din has been tested at a 9.

Anyone with more experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by turnfarmer View Post
    So they've been out awhile, if you're using them how is the retention at speed on groomers. Trying to set up a 1 travel ski setup that would allow me to tour and resort ski, which always involves groomers with the family. Would rather take two skis than tour on a duke type setup. Prerelease at speed is one of my nightmares- been there, done that, don't want to get hurt again. High din not an issue, can stay in at normal settings in most alpine bindings. Will they stay on or will I drop a ski. Rather get real word feedback than conjecture. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jmars View Post
    Anyone with more experiences?
    With groomers or touring? I've only used this touring. 9 days so far. No issues once I got the new toes with the reliable pins. Had 2 days on the old toes and stopped using them when I saw the pins backing out. Solid feeling binding. Feels at least as solid as the Beast 16 which IMO is the gold standard of the tech bindings for feel in retention. Tours well of course

Hi Lee,

I remember a comment you made last year about the Vipecs ... skiing them inbounds and hitting some bumps at "indiscreet" speeds - how you didn't blow out of the toes.

Realizing that you only have a handful of days on the Kingpins (all touring), and your comparison with the Beasts, it sounds as if the Kingpin toes are hold you in equally well?

Lou D's recent post on spring strength has me scratching my head about the Kingpins. I suspect that something will surface about the dynamic behavior of the Kingpins - that they hold you in better than the numbers predict.

My only tech bindings to date have been Comforts, Vertical STs, G3 Onyx's and Ions. The Ions (and to a certain degree, the Onyx's) are the only ones of the lot that inspire confidence - freeing me from stressing out: "do I lock my toes or not?"

Cheers,
    Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 12-26-2015 at 01:01 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

I was looking for any experience but since this binding is going on my travel ski any groomer/resort day experiences are more than welcome.

New tech binding Marker "King"

I have been skiing this binding both sled skiing and touring since last winter. There is no comparison between the skiability of this binding and dynafit. Coming from the dynafit ft12 the king pin is a much more solid feeling binding. I don't put the toe in lock mode for skiing. I had these or the other day on a boiler plate up track side hilling with out problem. Song down from powder to solid wind pack and no hesitation in the binding. I have them mounted on atomic 117. I would not heyday to take mine on a "one ski set up" trip.
    Last edited by crashidy; 12-26-2015 at 12:01 PM.

2016 Pins still backing out

Hey All, just a heads up, I just warrantied my 2016 Kingpins because the pins backed out to the point where the binding wouldn't even let go of my toe. Seems like the problem is not fixed yet. One pin on each side had backed WAY out (about halfway). Sort of embarrassed it took me so long to notice! Love the way these ski and tour, really good retention, ski them very hard. Not sure if it was me or the binding. Knuckled them several times at about 50 feet on hardpack (road gap gone wrong) lots of cliffs at about 30 feet in pow, and lots of dirty chattery hill skiing, with switch landings. Mounted on a Magnum Opus with Vulcans, 190 LBS, and a 318 BSL. Skied them only 10 days! Have another pair that has 20 backcountry days that are still fine.
    Last edited by corex radnar; 12-26-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by corex radnar View Post
    Hey All, just a heads up, I just warrantied my 2016 Kingpins because the pins backed out]
    That sucks. Just checked mine again and look fine but still going to keep checking

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Hi Lee,

I remember a comment you made last year about the Vipecs ... skiing them inbounds and hitting some bumps at "indiscreet" speeds - how you didn't blow out of the toes.

Realizing that you only have a handful of days on the Kingpins (all touring), and your comparison with the Beasts, it sounds as if the Kingpin toes are hold you in equally well?
    Talked to my wife who's had more days on the Kingpins and she feels the same way about those bindings as she does her Beasts. Ie they feel very soild.

ski them very hard. Not sure if it was me or the binding. Knuckled them several times at about 50 feet on hardpack (road gap gone wrong) lots of cliffs at about 30 feet in pow, and lots of dirty chattery hill skiing, with switch landings.
    yeah, a tech binding is just the thing for you.
    fucking genius.

Skied them only 10 days!
    and you are surprised???

what did their support guy say wen you told him of your love for road gaps and 50 ft hardpack fuckups?

I think there is a type of binding made just for you. Can't quite remember the name, but I think you can find a shit ton of them at ski resorts. everywhere you look, actually.

But still. Why are the penis backing out?
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That sucks. Just checked mine again and look fine but still going to keep checking
    At this point (and given that the manufacturing is by DMM), I suspect that our poster's experience lies out at the end of the 6 sigma range, but yes ... continual inspection is never a bad idea.

With respect to DMM, I would have thought they would have had "pinning" technology down pat - even in the first year, given so many years of manufacturing carabiners. What baffles me about the original problem is the direction of the displacement. One would expect all of the forces to be outward and the pins to "dig into" the wings.

I'm wondering if it's not a wise idea to order from Telemark-Pyranees/Sport Conrad, due to the (still) possibility of needing warranty service.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Talked to my wife who's had more days on the Kingpins and she feels the same way about those bindings as she does her Beasts. Ie they feel very soild.
    Thanks Lee. Beast level of confidence is indeed a high burliness factor.

Cheers,
    Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Hey All, just a heads up, I just warrantied my 2016 Kingpins because the pins backed out to the point where the binding wouldn't even let go of my toe. Seems like the problem is not fixed yet. One pin on each side had backed WAY out (about halfway). Sort of embarrassed it took me so long to notice! Love the way these ski and tour, really good retention, ski them very hard. Not sure if it was me or the binding. Knuckled them several times at about 50 feet on hardpack (road gap gone wrong) lots of cliffs at about 30 feet in pow, and lots of dirty chattery hill skiing, with switch landings. Mounted on a Magnum Opus with Vulcans, 190 LBS, and a 318 BSL. Skied them only 10 days! Have another pair that has 20 backcountry days that are still fine.

You sure they're the new ones? Where'd you get them? Sure they're not one of the first gens that a retailer had laying around?

Anyone else been experiencing icing issues? Just back from a five day backcountry lodge trip... had problems stepping into the toe because of built up snow/ice under the springs/toe wings.